Some high level guesswork
#1
Posted 2009-May-23, 01:45
Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. m
s
t
r-m
nd
ing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees."Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"
"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq
#3
Posted 2009-May-23, 06:27
#4
Posted 2009-May-23, 07:47
#5
Posted 2009-May-23, 08:34
#6
Posted 2009-May-23, 10:00
Harald
#7
Posted 2009-May-23, 10:01
#8
Posted 2009-May-23, 10:19
gnasher, on May 23 2009, 09:34 AM, said:
5♠ should set trumps, therefore 6♥ is a grand slam try showing heart control and importantly denying a club one.
#9
Posted 2009-May-23, 11:35
#10
Posted 2009-May-23, 13:04
Why would anyone in their right mind bid 5♠ with EITHER of those hands? Partner has promised only some constructive values - not the Moon. Why would partner not merely cue bid 5♣ to indicate slam interest and go on from there?
Under the circumstances - partner must be showing a hand just shy of a 2♣ opening with first round control of BOTH majors. Else why not cue bid and start looking for controls?
GIven that conclusion, I think 7♠ is called for. And if partner is off an Ace (especially the club Acr), rake them over the coals.
Note that partner CANNOT be saying that he has 11 sure tricks in spades and is merely asking about Club control. Your holding the K♠ negates this theory.
#11
Posted 2009-May-23, 13:26
gnasher, on May 23 2009, 10:35 AM, said:
I think that if 6♥ were unambiguously a try for 7♠ with no first round club or diamond control, it would be rather obvious to bid it. Maybe partner wouldn't always get it right (as in your example), but partner would certainly bid 7♠ making a lot more than 7♠ down 1, and I think the extra information to the opponents (so they will beat 6♠ after 6♥-6♠ but not after a direct 6♠) is not worth very much on this particular hand.
I agree with your second point, though, and think at the table it is losing bridge to try a bid like 6♥, so now I think 6♠ is better.
#12
Posted 2009-May-24, 02:54
I held as opener
North's hand
Obviously I have a choice of opening bids available. You may not agree with 1♠ and you may be right to disagree although I don't see it as having damaged us on this occasion. My biggest problem was whether to bid 6♦ in response to the double or be content with 5♠. Perhaps 6♦ is better. Anyway Qxx of Spades was onside so 5♠ rolled in with an overtrick when partner passed.
I am not sure how confident I need to be of making 5♠ to justify bidding it over the double. For sure, 5♠ one off is a disastrous score, but there is not a lot of bidding space, and if 4♠ by me is a very wide range bid, you could be losing more in missed slams by bidding 4♠ than by going one down in 5♠ if you insist on 11 playing tricks to bid 5♠. That tends to argue in favour of my bidding 6♦ I think.
Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. m
s
t
r-m
nd
ing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees."Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"
"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq
#13
Posted 2009-May-24, 06:03
PFormaini, on May 23 2009, 08:04 PM, said:
Under the circumstances - partner must be showing a hand just shy of a 2♣ opening with first round control of BOTH majors. Else why not cue bid and start looking for controls?
Are you saying that 5♠ shows a better hand than 5♣, rather than just a different hand? And if so, why?
#14
Posted 2009-May-24, 21:14
Even if the agreements are different, when partner asked you to bid a red suit it doesn't look right to hide AKQJx. Because AJ10xxxx is a good side suit. If you held ♠KQJ9xxx it would be a different thing.
#15
Posted 2009-May-24, 23:15
Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. m
s
t
r-m
nd
ing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees."Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"
"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq
#16
Posted 2009-May-25, 02:47
Fluffy, on May 25 2009, 12:14 PM, said:
Even if the agreements are different, when partner asked you to bid a red suit it doesn't look right to hide AKQJx. Because AJ10xxxx is a good side suit. If you held ♠KQJ9xxx it would be a different thing.
Good, I am not alone.
Roland
Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...
#17
Posted 2009-May-25, 04:15
I have meta-agreements on 5 level major suit raises, but they are agreements on RAISES, not free bids... lol. So, by a meta-meta-agreement, I'd take this as lack of club control and pass.
With a random partner I wouldn't know what to do. Probably pass as well and hope for the best. After all, there might be some bad breaks lurking.

Help

N....E....S....W
1♠..4♣..X....P
5♠..P....?