BBO Discussion Forums: unload your thinkin power - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

unload your thinkin power dont be shy

#1 User is offline   shubi 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 118
  • Joined: 2006-November-20
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2009-May-20, 14:39

contested bidding 4h, 4s, 5h and 5s, what to do when to pass, dbl or bid. for plus score of course.
0

#2 User is offline   jonottawa 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,025
  • Joined: 2003-March-26
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ottawa, ON

Posted 2009-May-20, 14:45

If you're my partner Shube, it's probably already too late for a plus score. :)
"Maybe we should all get together and buy Kaitlyn a box set of "All in the Family" for Chanukah. Archie didn't think he was a racist, the problem was with all the chinks, dagos, niggers, kikes, etc. ruining the country." ~ barmar
0

#3 User is offline   kenrexford 

  • Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 9,586
  • Joined: 2005-September-21
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Lima, Allen County, North-West-Central Ohio, USA
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2009-May-20, 16:09

I have a set of rules that I apply in this sort of situation. The first is simple -- if I haven't done so yet, I look to see what I have been dealt.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.
0

#4 User is offline   PFormaini 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 137
  • Joined: 2009-May-20

Posted 2009-May-20, 17:03

I bid 6♦!
0

#5 User is offline   kenrexford 

  • Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 9,586
  • Joined: 2005-September-21
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Lima, Allen County, North-West-Central Ohio, USA
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2009-May-20, 17:17

PFormaini, on May 20 2009, 06:03 PM, said:

I bid 6♦!

That's actually very interesting. Might as well make a LTTC bid. Might miss the grand otherwise.

The problem, without knowing your hand, is that you cannot bid anything else to show a control, as you don't know what controls you do or do not have. Hence, you are kind of boxed in.

I mean, you could shoot low or shoot high, but the only bid the expresses uncertainty is LTTC. Anything else sends a clear message -- I am or am not good enough for something. LTTC asks partner to decide.

Brilliant!
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.
0

#6 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

  • Vesuvius the Violent Volcano
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,216
  • Joined: 2008-December-04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tampa-Area, Florida
  • Interests:SLEEPING

Posted 2009-May-20, 19:42

Bridge really is becoming more like poker... Since I'm not allowed to see my hand, I'll pass and let partner decide... Hopefully partner can see his.
Yay for the "Ignored Users" feature!
0

#7 User is offline   shubi 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 118
  • Joined: 2006-November-20
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2009-May-21, 00:02

you create the hand and you bid the hand. these sutition comes up 1 or 2 times every tourney. PICK ANY.
0

#8 User is offline   hanp 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,987
  • Joined: 2009-February-15

Posted 2009-May-21, 00:07

Double Nill.
and the result can be plotted on a graph.
0

#9 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

  • Vesuvius the Violent Volcano
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,216
  • Joined: 2008-December-04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tampa-Area, Florida
  • Interests:SLEEPING

Posted 2009-May-21, 06:39

AKQJ AKQ AKQ AKQ. Pass.
Yay for the "Ignored Users" feature!
0

#10 User is offline   bid_em_up 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,351
  • Joined: 2006-March-21
  • Location:North Carolina

Posted 2009-May-21, 09:15

When in doubt, pass and let partner decide. At least you get to fuss at him when he makes the final (wrong) decision.
Is the word "pass" not in your vocabulary?
So many experts, not enough X cards.
0

#11 User is offline   helene_t 

  • The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,401
  • Joined: 2004-April-22
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Odense, Denmark
  • Interests:History, languages

Posted 2009-May-21, 09:34

I double, fortunately in my partnership this shows exactly this hand.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket
0

#12 User is offline   Old York 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 447
  • Joined: 2007-January-26
  • Location:York, England
  • Interests:People, Places, Humour

Posted 2009-May-21, 09:36

I would probably have opened 1♠ and rebid 5♥ on the given hand, but am worried that I cannot get the no-trumps in first. I hate being dummy on hands like this

Tony
Hanging on in quiet desperation, is the English way (Pink Floyd)
0

#13 User is offline   aguahombre 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 12,029
  • Joined: 2009-February-21
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:St. George, UT

Posted 2009-May-21, 10:51

too bad everyone had so much fun with this question.
Am I the only one still interested in what the real answers would be?


the Poser certainly meant to ask what double, pass, and another bid would show at this point in the auction. He did not intend to ask what you would do with a specific holding, or he would have shown the holding.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)
0

#14 User is offline   vuroth 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,459
  • Joined: 2007-June-03
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2009-May-21, 11:44

Sorry, I'm B/I. We passed out this hand. :)
Still decidedly intermediate - don't take my guesses as authoritative.

"gwnn" said:

rule number 1 in efficient forum reading:
hanp does not always mean literally what he writes.
0

#15 User is offline   G_R__E_G 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 343
  • Joined: 2005-May-26
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada

Posted 2009-May-21, 12:48

Despite being against my best judegement, I will attempt a serious answer.

Double - I cannot think of a hand that I would open 4♥ that I would double with at this point.

Bid - There may be a few hands that I would open 4♥ with which I'd decide that sacrificing at 6♥ was the right thing to do based on vulnerability etc. I think a hand like that would however only come up about once every 2 years.

Pass - The other 99.9% of the time this is what I'd do. I opened 4♥ - after that I'm supposed to keep my mouth shut.
Visit my club website www.midlanddbc.com
0

#16 User is offline   gwnn 

  • Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 13,027
  • Joined: 2006-June-16
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2009-May-21, 13:23

if it's MP one must always consider 5NT.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin
0

#17 User is offline   JLOL 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,033
  • Joined: 2008-December-05

Posted 2009-May-21, 14:19

LOL
0

#18 User is offline   gnasher 

  • Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,993
  • Joined: 2007-May-03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London, UK

Posted 2009-May-21, 14:42

G_R__E_G, on May 21 2009, 07:48 PM, said:

Double - I cannot think of a hand that I would open 4♥ that I would double with at this point.

Bid - There may be a few hands that I would open 4♥ with which I'd decide that sacrificing at 6♥ was the right thing to do based on vulnerability etc.

In that case, shouldn't you use double to show a hand that wants to bid 6♥?
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn
0

#19 User is offline   G_R__E_G 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 343
  • Joined: 2005-May-26
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada

Posted 2009-May-21, 15:01

gnasher, on May 21 2009, 03:42 PM, said:

G_R__E_G, on May 21 2009, 07:48 PM, said:

Double - I cannot think of a hand that I would open 4♥ that I would double with at this point.

Bid - There may be a few hands that I would open 4♥ with which I'd decide that sacrificing at 6♥ was the right thing to do based on vulnerability etc.

In that case, shouldn't you use double to show a hand that wants to bid 6♥?

Nah - I'd rather save the double for one of those extremely rare hands where I have 8 hearts and 7 spades.
Visit my club website www.midlanddbc.com
0

#20 User is offline   aguahombre 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 12,029
  • Joined: 2009-February-21
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:St. George, UT

Posted 2009-May-21, 16:41

G_R__E_G, on May 21 2009, 01:48 PM, said:

Despite being against my best judegement, I will attempt a serious answer.

Double - I cannot think of a hand that I would open 4♥ that I would double with at this point.

Bid - There may be a few hands that I would open 4♥ with which I'd decide that sacrificing at 6♥ was the right thing to do based on vulnerability etc.  I think a hand like that would however only come up about once every 2 years.

Pass - The other 99.9% of the time this is what I'd do.  I opened 4♥ - after that I'm supposed to keep my mouth shut.

exactly. and you are obviously not one of those on-line blasters who open 4H on various 6-card suits, etc. If the 4 Heart bid was a 7 to 7 1/2 trick Hardy-type 4H opening, then you are out of the auction and this string is moot.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)
0

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users