Diamonds
#1
Posted 2009-May-12, 20:39
♠void ♥AT ♦AKTxxxxxx ♣Jx
1♦ - 1♠
?
Partner will bid 2♠ over 2♥, 3♠ over 3♦, 4♣ over 3♣, and 4♣ over 3N.
#2
Posted 2009-May-12, 23:12
I don't see how I can ever describe this, so I might as well advertise a long, good suit and some outside stops, which I (sort of) have.
Over 4♣, I will bid 4♥. I'm not sure what pard has in mind with 4♣, but cuebidding and showing my diamonds later seems like a good ploy.
Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.
#3
Posted 2009-May-13, 00:35
This is my best effort to describe hand with a lot of playing strength in Diamonds and extreme shape.
#4
Posted 2009-May-13, 01:25
#5
Posted 2009-May-13, 01:48
Roland
Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...
#7
Posted 2009-May-13, 08:21
#8
Posted 2009-May-13, 09:19
As it is, having opened 1♦, I suppose the sexy bid is 3N. It is a horrific misdecription of this hand, but anything I do now will be a misdescription and 3N has the biggest upsides (and downsides, but it is mps)
If partner bids 4♣ over this, I bid 4♥ and await developments, but it sure sounds like slam is looming.
#9
Posted 2009-May-13, 16:37
#10
Posted 2009-May-13, 16:38
#11
Posted 2009-May-13, 16:44
#12
Posted 2009-May-13, 17:34
cherdanno, on May 13 2009, 05:38 PM, said:
it isn't, if an initial 5♦ were misdescriptive, and I can understand why many would feel it was. But I stated that, for me, I would open 5♦. And bridge is tough enough without using two auctions to describe the same hand. If this hand falls inside your definition of 5♦, then you shouldn't open it 1 and rebid 5. But if this is wrong for the initial 5♦, you can and maybe should. I don't think there is a universally 'right' answer: my views on this one may well be endorsed by a tiny minority
#13
Posted 2009-May-13, 17:36
gnasher, on May 13 2009, 05:37 PM, said:
How often have you had the chance? I've only held a few 9 card suits in 36 years of playing. My most recent was xxx x void KQxxxxxxx, and partner opened 4♦, showing a no-loser unspecified major, so 3N wasn't an option
#14
Posted 2009-May-13, 18:35
#16
Posted 2009-May-14, 11:38
jdonn, on May 13 2009, 07:35 PM, said:
Some might think it shows a better hand than a 5D opening?
#17
Posted 2009-May-14, 11:57
hanp, on May 14 2009, 12:38 PM, said:
jdonn, on May 13 2009, 07:35 PM, said:
Some might think it shows a better hand than a 5D opening?
I agree, but I don't think that disproves what I stated.
#18
Posted 2009-May-14, 11:59
jdonn, on May 14 2009, 12:57 PM, said:
hanp, on May 14 2009, 12:38 PM, said:
jdonn, on May 13 2009, 07:35 PM, said:
Some might think it shows a better hand than a 5D opening?
I agree, but I don't think that disproves what I stated.
How about tons of diamonds with a minimum opening in high cards?
#19
Posted 2009-May-14, 12:05

Help
