BBO Discussion Forums: Diamonds - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Diamonds

#1 User is offline   rogerclee 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,214
  • Joined: 2007-December-16
  • Location:Pasadena, CA

Posted 2009-May-12, 20:39

Matchpoints

♠void ♥AT ♦AKTxxxxxx ♣Jx

1♦ - 1♠
?

Partner will bid 2♠ over 2♥, 3♠ over 3♦, 4♣ over 3♣, and 4♣ over 3N.
0

#2 User is offline   Phil 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,094
  • Joined: 2008-December-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North Texas, USA
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2009-May-12, 23:12

No strong feelings about this hand, but at MPs, I will bid 3N over 1♠.

I don't see how I can ever describe this, so I might as well advertise a long, good suit and some outside stops, which I (sort of) have.

Over 4♣, I will bid 4♥. I'm not sure what pard has in mind with 4♣, but cuebidding and showing my diamonds later seems like a good ploy.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.
0

#3 User is offline   mich-b 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 584
  • Joined: 2008-November-27

Posted 2009-May-13, 00:35

5D.

This is my best effort to describe hand with a lot of playing strength in Diamonds and extreme shape.
0

#4 User is offline   jdonn 

  • - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 15,085
  • Joined: 2005-June-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas, NV

Posted 2009-May-13, 01:25

5♦, by process of elimination since all lower bids are clearly bad. My second choice is 3♣, which in principle I actually don't mind but I just don't see how it helps me here.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.
0

#5 User is offline   Codo 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 6,373
  • Joined: 2003-March-15
  • Location:Hamburg, Germany
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2009-May-13, 01:48

5 ♦ but hate it.
Kind Regards

Roland


Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...
0

#6 User is offline   whereagles 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 14,900
  • Joined: 2004-May-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portugal
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2009-May-13, 03:34

5♦ and I love it ;)
0

#7 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

  • Vesuvius the Violent Volcano
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,216
  • Joined: 2008-December-04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tampa-Area, Florida
  • Interests:SLEEPING

Posted 2009-May-13, 08:21

5♦ I suppose, however at Matchpoints 3NT is not a bad idea.
Yay for the "Ignored Users" feature!
0

#8 User is offline   mikeh 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 13,931
  • Joined: 2005-June-15
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2009-May-13, 09:19

I would have opened 5♦, so what do I know?

As it is, having opened 1♦, I suppose the sexy bid is 3N. It is a horrific misdecription of this hand, but anything I do now will be a misdescription and 3N has the biggest upsides (and downsides, but it is mps)

If partner bids 4♣ over this, I bid 4♥ and await developments, but it sure sounds like slam is looming.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari
0

#9 User is offline   gnasher 

  • Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,993
  • Joined: 2007-May-03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London, UK

Posted 2009-May-13, 16:37

I've never tried to play in 3NT with a nine-card suit, and I've never regretted it.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn
0

#10 User is offline   cherdanno 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,640
  • Joined: 2009-February-16

Posted 2009-May-13, 16:38

Why is 1D, then 5D a misdescription?
"Are you saying that LTC merits a more respectful dismissal?"
0

#11 User is offline   hanp 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,987
  • Joined: 2009-February-15

Posted 2009-May-13, 16:44

Agree with 1D then 5D. 5H by partner is now RKC.
and the result can be plotted on a graph.
0

#12 User is offline   mikeh 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 13,931
  • Joined: 2005-June-15
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2009-May-13, 17:34

cherdanno, on May 13 2009, 05:38 PM, said:

Why is 1D, then 5D a misdescription?

it isn't, if an initial 5♦ were misdescriptive, and I can understand why many would feel it was. But I stated that, for me, I would open 5♦. And bridge is tough enough without using two auctions to describe the same hand. If this hand falls inside your definition of 5♦, then you shouldn't open it 1 and rebid 5. But if this is wrong for the initial 5♦, you can and maybe should. I don't think there is a universally 'right' answer: my views on this one may well be endorsed by a tiny minority
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari
0

#13 User is offline   mikeh 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 13,931
  • Joined: 2005-June-15
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2009-May-13, 17:36

gnasher, on May 13 2009, 05:37 PM, said:

I've never tried to play in 3NT with a nine-card suit, and I've never regretted it.

How often have you had the chance? I've only held a few 9 card suits in 36 years of playing. My most recent was xxx x void KQxxxxxxx, and partner opened 4♦, showing a no-loser unspecified major, so 3N wasn't an option :ph34r:
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari
0

#14 User is offline   jdonn 

  • - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 15,085
  • Joined: 2005-June-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas, NV

Posted 2009-May-13, 18:35

I think it's almost impossible to claim 1♦ then 5♦ is misdescriptive because frankly no one has a clue what it shows other than tons of diamonds.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.
0

#15 User is offline   whereagles 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 14,900
  • Joined: 2004-May-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portugal
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2009-May-14, 03:08

mike: what would a bid of

1♦ 1x
5♦

look like to you?
0

#16 User is offline   hanp 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,987
  • Joined: 2009-February-15

Posted 2009-May-14, 11:38

jdonn, on May 13 2009, 07:35 PM, said:

I think it's almost impossible to claim 1♦ then 5♦ is misdescriptive because frankly no one has a clue what it shows other than tons of diamonds.

Some might think it shows a better hand than a 5D opening?
and the result can be plotted on a graph.
0

#17 User is offline   jdonn 

  • - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 15,085
  • Joined: 2005-June-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas, NV

Posted 2009-May-14, 11:57

hanp, on May 14 2009, 12:38 PM, said:

jdonn, on May 13 2009, 07:35 PM, said:

I think it's almost impossible to claim 1♦ then 5♦ is misdescriptive because frankly no one has a clue what it shows other than tons of diamonds.

Some might think it shows a better hand than a 5D opening?

I agree, but I don't think that disproves what I stated.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.
0

#18 User is offline   cherdanno 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,640
  • Joined: 2009-February-16

Posted 2009-May-14, 11:59

jdonn, on May 14 2009, 12:57 PM, said:

hanp, on May 14 2009, 12:38 PM, said:

jdonn, on May 13 2009, 07:35 PM, said:

I think it's almost impossible to claim 1♦ then 5♦ is misdescriptive because frankly no one has a clue what it shows other than tons of diamonds.

Some might think it shows a better hand than a 5D opening?

I agree, but I don't think that disproves what I stated.

How about tons of diamonds with a minimum opening in high cards?
"Are you saying that LTC merits a more respectful dismissal?"
0

#19 User is offline   hanp 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,987
  • Joined: 2009-February-15

Posted 2009-May-14, 12:05

Tons of diamonds and a hand that is worried about missing slam if opened 5D.
and the result can be plotted on a graph.
0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users