BBO Discussion Forums: Fool's Gold: How Unrestrained Greed ... - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Fool's Gold: How Unrestrained Greed ... by Gillian Tett

#1 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2009-May-02, 12:12

Gillian Tett is an assistant editor at the Financial Times. In March, she was named journalist of the year at the British Press Awards. The first of 2 excerpts from her forthcoming book about the financial crisis appears here in today's FT.

Michael Lewis fans will appreciate her writing style and storytelling instincts.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#2 User is offline   david_c 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mathematics;<br>20th century classical music;<br>Composing.

Posted 2009-May-02, 12:59

Does seem quite well-written, but I hate the emotive title. When you've done a good job of explaining some of the complex issues that go into making a crisis, why weaken the argument by pinning it all on "unrestrained greed"? Well, I know why: it's because you want to sell more copies of your book. Now that is greed.

This post has been edited by david_c: 2009-May-02, 13:14

#3 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-May-03, 16:46

That's the UK title.

The U.S. title, which seems more in keeping with the story line, is Fool's Gold: How the Bold Dream of a Small Tribe at J.P. Morgan Was Corrupted by Wall Street Greed and Unleashed a Catastrophe.

What's fascinating to me is how JP Morgan managed to steer clear of the stuff that did in so many others, even though, apparently, they invented a lot of it. Seems they are as disciplined as they are imaginative.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users