BBO Discussion Forums: Hand on heart, when? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hand on heart, when? (Mainly for Americans, sorry)

Poll: For which of the following songs do you put your hand on your heart (if any) (44 member(s) have cast votes)

For which of the following songs do you put your hand on your heart (if any)

1. Star-Spangled Banner (only) (7 votes [15.91%])

Percentage of vote: 15.91%

2. God Bless America (only) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Both (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Neither, only during Pledge of Allegiance (9 votes [20.45%])

Percentage of vote: 20.45%

5. Never (5 votes [11.36%])

Percentage of vote: 11.36%

6. You Americans are crazy to be worrying about this. (23 votes [52.27%])

Percentage of vote: 52.27%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Elianna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2009-May-06, 22:45

I think that there is a correct answer, but it seems that both the Dodgers and Dodger fans disagree with me.
My addiction to Mario Bros #3 has come back!

#2 User is offline   crazy4hoop 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2009-May-06, 23:26

I voted neither-only during the pledge but honestly don't know for sure. Of course, Dodger fans are idiots...

...just kidding since I know we both bleed Dodger blue, even though most of the other Dodger fans I know arrive in the 3rd inning and leave in the 7th. 13 straight at home, awesome!

#3 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-May-06, 23:27

This is a pretty complicated question, do you serve in the armed forces?

http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/Prof_D...ml/lesson10.htm

A custom is a social convention stemming from tradition and enforced as an unwritten law. A courtesy is a kind, polite, considerate behavior often linked to a custom. A military courtesy is such behavior extended to a person or thing that honors them is some way.

#4 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2009-May-07, 00:06

I don't see the right answer in your poll. I think you're supposed to do it both during the Pledge and the Star Spangled Banner. God Bless America is not an official national song, so it doesn't require a salute or holding hand on your heart. Neither is America the Beautiful (which I think a number of polls have reported that Americans would prefer as the national anthem, and probably many think it is).

#5 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2009-May-07, 03:09

I voted "Americans are crazy", but here in UK the hottest political issue at the moment is the GBP 2 price difference between D bras and C bras at M&S so I am not sure if we are so much better. Anyway I have no idea what this thread is about, some kind of song festival?
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#6 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2009-May-07, 03:13

helene_t, on May 7 2009, 04:09 AM, said:

I voted "Americans are crazy", but here in UK the hottest political issue at the moment is the GBP 2 price difference between D bras and C bras at M&S so I am not sure if we are so much better. Anyway I have no idea what this thread is about, some kind of song festival?

Helene thank you for update on the truly important issues.

#7 User is offline   luke warm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2009-May-07, 04:05

i voted star spangled banner
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#8 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2009-May-07, 05:04

barmar, on May 7 2009, 01:06 AM, said:

I don't see the right answer in your poll. I think you're supposed to do it both during the Pledge and the Star Spangled Banner.

That's my understanding too.
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#9 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

Posted 2009-May-07, 05:37

And I thought that it was:

Hands on your eyes for the banner :lol:
Hands on your ears for God :lol:
Hands on your mouth for the pledge.... :lol:
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#10 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-May-07, 06:22

I am, so far, the only vote for "never". It's a slight overstatement. If I were to attend, for example, a ceremony honoring fallen soldiers I would conform to whatever custom was expected. It's a matter of honoring the soldiers. If I go to a ball game, which I have not done for quite a while, I don't much like being expected to stand up and demonstrate that I am patriotic. I like to think that I am, but I don't feel the need to make a symbolic demonstrate of this at someone else's request. I stand at respectful attention and let it go at that.

I see this as analogous to my religious practices. If I attend a church wedding, I don't plan on debating theology with the minister. If I go to a public school graduation, I don't like to hear "And now let us pray".

During the Viet Nam years, when my student deferment was revoked and I was re-classified 1-A, I neither ran to Canada nor rushed to the Marine recruiting station to volunteer. Make what you will of it.
Ken

#11 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2009-May-07, 07:00

I definitely feel something when I hear a heartfelt take on America the Beautiful but the hand on heart thing doesn't feel right to me.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#12 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

• Vesuvius the Violent Volcano
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:SLEEPING

Posted 2009-May-07, 07:01

I say that we Americans are crazy.

Kenberg's post pretty much sums up my thoughts... Except I wasn't ever in Vietnam, or around in the Vietnam years.
Yay for the "Ignored Users" feature!

#13 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2009-May-07, 07:13

I don't know how the Dutch and British national songs sound. The Danish one is very embarrassing.

Maybe if the UN decided on a World song I would bother to learn it. Or maybe not.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#14 User is offline   Oof Arted 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2009-May-07, 07:35

mike777, on May 7 2009, 04:13 AM, said:

helene_t, on May 7 2009, 04:09 AM, said:

Helene thank you for update on the truly important issues.

:lol:

important yes indeedy if you are D cup or above :lol:

#15 User is offline   Aberlour10 

• Vugrapholic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-May-07, 07:56

Quoting J. Morrison: "No one gets here(Water Cooler) out alive ( witout voting at least in 5 different polls)" :lol:
Preempts are Aberlour's best bridge friends

#16 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

• Vesuvius the Violent Volcano
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:SLEEPING

Posted 2009-May-07, 08:02

Aberlour10, on May 7 2009, 08:56 AM, said:

Quoting J. Morrison: "No one gets here(Water Cooler) out alive ( witout voting at least in 5 different polls)" B)

Five to one, baby. One in five...

:D
Yay for the "Ignored Users" feature!

#17 User is offline   TimG 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-May-07, 08:43

kenberg, on May 7 2009, 07:22 AM, said:

I am, so far, the only vote for "never".

I chose the crazy Americans option even though I am a US citizen and the never option would also have applied.

I did go to a Double A baseball game recently. I stood during the playing of the National Anthem, but did not place my hand over my heart (I was not wearing a hat to be removed).

My mother was with me. Though she did not say anything, I know she was annoyed when the crowd started cheering before the last notes had been sung.

I went to vote a couple of days ago (school budget). It was raining and I was wearing a hat. Shortly after I walked into the polling place, I noted that I was the youngest in the room by at least 25 years. I removed my hat, in part so that the people there would not think I was rude.

#18 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2009-May-07, 08:52

I don't mind putting my hand over my heart for the anthem or the pledge, but I don't like (and don't say) the "under god" phrase that was recently added to the pledge.

As for most young people not voting, that was often the case here (Michigan's Upper Peninsula) in the past, but not so in the recent presidential election.
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#19 User is offline   bid_em_up 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-May-07, 09:23

In general, the US Flag Code addresses the fact that during both the singing of the National Anthem and reciting the Pledge of Allegiance that a person should:

NATIONAL ANTHEM

Conduct During Playing.- During a rendition of the national anthem-
(1) when the flag is displayed-
(A ) all present except those in uniform should stand at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart;
(B ) men not in uniform should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold the headdress at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart; and
(c ) individuals in uniform should give the military salute at the first note of the anthem and maintain that position until the last note; and

(2) when the flag is not displayed, all present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed.

PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE

.....should be rendered by standing at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart. When not in uniform men should remove any non-religious headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart. Persons in uniform should remain silent, face the flag, and render the military salute.

This does not apply to the singing of God Bless America as it is not a "national" song.

So like others, it is during the National Anthem and the Pledge of Allegiance for me also, which was not a poll option.
Is the word "pass" not in your vocabulary?
So many experts, not enough X cards.

#20 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-May-07, 09:35

Noting that "Americans are crazy" is swamping all other options I suggest that we include it in all future polls. Eg: Are you a smoker, a former smoker, have you never smoked, or do you think Americans are crazy for worrying about this? Do you think the greatest singer of the 1950s was Patti Page (How Much Is That Doggie In The Window and other hits), Johnny Ray (The Little White Cloud That Sat Right Down And Cried), Little Richard (Long Tall Sally, sample lyrics: I saw Uncle John with Long Tall Sally, he saw Mary coming and he ducked back in the alley), or do you think Americans are crazy for worrying about this?
Ken

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users