Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Lobby Chat 101 (title change) Guideline for chatting to lobby

#1 User is offline   ehhh 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2004-May-14, 09:14

;) Lately it seems that those who use the chat rooms need a refresher course in chat room use and manners. Why CLUTTER the lobby with private conversation. Avoid SHOUTING. Some feel that FLOODING will wash participants to their table or tournaments. It is more professional to write ABUSE than to publically post spiteful messages.
A promise made is a debt unpaid....R Service

#2 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2004-May-14, 09:21

I am confused about exactly what your point is. Let me review.

1) Shouting (all caps) is not good form. Ok, I agree.

2) Flooding the lobby with request to join a table or a tourney or a team match (message after message), is not nice either. Ok I agree. Once every few minutes at most seems about right. The people who sit on the cntrl-V paste and do this over and over and over need to be sanctioned.

3) Posting public spiteful messages, or public messages complaiining about someone's behavior/ethics, is wrong. Yes, report them to abuse@bridgebase.com or tell a nearby yellow.

But what does any of this have to do with Chat rooms? I think what you meant was "LOBBY CHAT" 101. IF so, let me know and I can change the title perhaps. Chat rooms are where people can go to talk with each other. To find these, go to Explore Bridge, then click on Chat rooms.

Ben
--Ben--

#3 User is offline   ehhh 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2004-May-15, 21:10

You're right Ben I was sounding off on all the clutter and poor manners associated with chatting in the main lobby and tournament.
A promise made is a debt unpaid....R Service

#4 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2004-May-16, 03:56

I agree to, but there are some solutions:

1) disable the lobby chat (this can be done when clicking on your own name), so you won't get this stuff anymore. The problem is that you receive NOTHING at all from the lobby, and sometimes you want to.
2) make these flooders, shouters,... your enemy (right click and set status), then you don't get their lobby chat as well ;)
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#5 User is offline   JRG 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-May-16, 11:51

I seem to remember seeing a lot of not-so-nice lobby chat. That was not the problem for me. I simply found the volume of messages too great -- I couldn't see table chat or personal messages because they scrolled off the screen too quickly. It also became difficult to see the give-and-take of repartee because of the intervening messages.

I think, however, there is also another problem. It is much too easy, especially when trying to reply quickly to someone, to end up sending a message to the lobby when that was not the intent. I have personally been guilty of that error. I used to always send a short apology message when I did this ("Sorry, that was a misdirected private message" or something similar). The last couple of times I made that mistake, I didn't send an apology message as it struck me that almost everyone would recognize the message was misdirected (and the message would seem meaningless anyway), so why add a second message to the clutter?

I don't know what the solution is for those of us who occasionally misclick or are in too much of a hurry (for various reasons) and mistakenly send lobby messages.
JRG

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users