Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

short club/diamond responder's minor suit hands

#1 User is offline   karlson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2009-March-21, 02:19

Suppose you play a 2+ 1m opening. (e.g. precision, or some system where all balanced hands open 1c). You're more likely to have one minor than the other if unbalanced, but 33(52) systemically open 1c or 1d.

At some point it surely starts making sense to play responder's minor suit bids in competition as forcing. For instance, after 1m-3h, it hardly makes sense for responder to insist on opener's "suit" with Kx x AKxxx Axxxx or something. Playing a 5-2 when a 5-5 was available is not my cup of tea. So the cuebid can show a generic force (by inference, both minors) and if you really have Kxx x (Kxx AQxxxx) you bid 4m forcing. And I'm perfectly happy to sacrifice a competitive 4m bid when I need 6 trumps or something to bid it with anyway.

Is there a standard agreement about this? Is there a level cutoff (e.g. 1m-1s-2m NF but 1m-2s-3m F). Does it matter if the opening is 1c or 1d?

#2 User is offline   JLOL 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2009-March-21, 09:18

I play even like 1D 1H 2D as forcing. Basically it's just like you're bidding a new suit. You just need good agreements to handle all handtypes imo, sometimes it can get awkward. But yeah basically you are right.

#3 User is offline   karlson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2009-March-21, 10:09

Great! My intuition was that even 2m should be forcing, but that seemed non-standard ;)

#4 User is offline   Apollo81 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-March-25, 11:52

In a Precision (0+) context:

I play 1-(1M)-2m as 5+ nonforcing. It's nice to have a way to bid limited hands with a 5+card minor and without 4 in the other major. Note that 2 is no different than 2, it isn't a "raise"

I also play 1-(1M)-3 as a less-than-inv xx45+ hand. It's a hand that would make a weak or constructive jump raise of whatever minor partner would have opened in Standard.

1-(1M)-2M is therefore a nebulous inv+ bid. It means you couldn't bid 2NT/3NT and also couldn't double or bid the other major. Haven't had any problems with this sequence.

#5 User is offline   keylime 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: FD TEAM
  • Interests:Motorsports, cricket, disc golf, and of course - bridge. :-)

Posted 2009-March-25, 11:56

We used to have a specialty bid of 1-2 to show a constructive raise of 5 and 4, and the cuebid is still the offensive GF.
"Champions aren't made in gyms, champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. " - M. Ali

#6 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-March-25, 12:15

I play a lot of transfers in low-level auctions here. For example:

1 - (1):

X = negative
2 = transfer to diamonds, at least constructive
2 = transfer to hearts, at least constructive
2 = transfer to clubs, at least invitational
2 = invite-plus not suited to bid notrump, usually 4-4 or better minors
3 = constructive natural NF