• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Professional Bridge

#1 User is offline   JoAnneM 

• LOR
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2009-March-16, 22:23

Why isn't there a professional bridge organization like the PGA for golf? Not that I am advocating it, but I can think of all kinds of advantages for there being one. On the other hand maybe the pros don't want to become organized because then they might become regulated? Just curious.

Also, what's the deal with people not putting their names on their convention cards?
Regards, Jo Anne
Practice Goodwill and Active Ethics
Director "Please"!

#2 User is offline   rogerclee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2009-March-17, 00:17

The ACBL tried this many years ago, requiring that professional players register. I'm not sure about the details of it, but I hear that it didn't work for a large number of reasons.

#3 User is offline   Gerben42 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Astronomy, Mathematics
    Nuclear power

Posted 2009-March-17, 01:53

Also, what's the deal with people not putting their names on their convention cards?

I guess they want to use the CC with every partner, so they don't want to write down the names so they don't have to fill it in twice? That's the only reason I can think of... I think it's very annoying!
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!
My Bridge Systems Page

BC Kultcamp Rieneck

#4 User is online   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-March-17, 03:34

In most individual sports like golf, tennis, or poker, professional players make most of their money by winning (or placing) in competition and taking home the prizes. This means everyone knows who the pros are, and the details of how they earn their living are more or less public.

In contrast, bridge professionals make most of their money through private contracts to play as their sponsor's partner or on their sponsor's team. Often it is not in the best interest of either the player or the sponsor to reveal the details of these contracts. Even determining who is paying whom can sometimes be difficult in these cases.

So I don't think it's really a similar situation.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#5 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2009-March-17, 04:20

awm, on Mar 17 2009, 04:34 PM, said:

In most individual sports like golf, tennis, or poker, professional players make most of their money by winning (or placing) in competition and taking home the prizes. This means everyone knows who the pros are, and the details of how they earn their living are more or less public.

In contrast, bridge professionals make most of their money through private contracts to play as their sponsor's partner or on their sponsor's team. Often it is not in the best interest of either the player or the sponsor to reveal the details of these contracts. Even determining who is paying whom can sometimes be difficult in these cases.

So I don't think it's really a similar situation.

No Adam, most of the top tennis, golf etc players make their money through sposorship. You might know who they are, but you won't kno how much they make. Federer , for example, makes far more through sponsorship than prizemoney.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#6 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2009-March-17, 06:11

Well, Federer has around 42$ million prizemoney so far. Does that mean he makes like 10x as much from sponsoring? :)

#7 User is offline   RichMor 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2009-March-17, 07:03

whereagles, on Mar 17 2009, 07:11 AM, said:

Well, Federer has around 42$ million prizemoney so far. Does that mean he makes like 10x as much from sponsoring? :)

Probably.

Every time Federer wins a tournament he gets big prize money.

Every time his face appears in a television or print commercial he gets a little royalty money.

Every year he gets money for wearing some logo on his tennis clothes, equipment, and water bottle.

#8 User is offline   Aberlour10 

• Vugrapholic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-March-17, 09:17

To compare sponsorships in golf or tennis with bridge one is like to compare "apples & pears". The determination and motivation behind them are completely different. In my opinion, BPA = Bridge Professionals Association would have only sense and need if there were a clear structured and organized bridge tour like PGA or ATP Tour, but it seems for me something like this will not happen in forseeable future. So I agree with Adam's view, the privacy and discretion are for bridge professionals and their sponsors much more important than the need to organize themselves.

Robert
Preempts are Aberlour's best bridge friends

#9 User is offline   Apollo81 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-March-17, 09:31

JoAnneM, on Mar 17 2009, 12:23 AM, said:

I can think of all kinds of advantages for there being one.

such as?

#10 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2009-March-17, 09:42

JoAnneM, on Mar 16 2009, 11:23 PM, said:

Why isn't there a professional bridge organization like the PGA for golf? Not that I am advocating it, but I can think of all kinds of advantages for there being one. On the other hand maybe the pros don't want to become organized because then they might become regulated? Just curious.

I don't think it is a fear of being regulated, but it may well be a combination of not seeing what the advantages are for the pros and who picks up the cost?

Most pros make very little money... few can depend solely on bridge to provide a decent income. For every Meckwell, there are dozens, or more, of 'pros' who earn a few bucks teaching or playing at the club or the local sectional. Their concerns are far different, as is their ability to pay for the dubious benefits of belonging to an organization.

Add to this that establishment of any organization is going to foster 'illegal' pros, and perhaps engender a lot of controversy over qualifications, rates of pay and so on, and it seems to me that the idea isn't worth the hassle.

And where do we draw the line? I have occasionally been added to a pro team at a Regional... the pro and client come into town and want to pick up either 2 or 3 players for a team... one to switch off with the client... sometimes I got paid, other times I was happy to play with a true WC pro and just got entry fees...that is a common arrangement in many Regionals... would I have to register?

Or the player who has a regular club game where he gets $25 or $50 for an afternoon game once a week? And so on.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#11 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-March-17, 10:28

Can I ask why anyone cares if someone doesn't have his or her name on his or her convention card? Maybe I live in a hole or something, but every now and then I'm just shocked by finding out what bugs people.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#12 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2009-March-17, 10:50

jdonn, on Mar 17 2009, 11:28 AM, said:

Can I ask why anyone cares if someone doesn't have his or her name on his or her convention card? Maybe I live in a hole or something, but every now and then I'm just shocked by finding out what bugs people.

While it is not one of my pet peeves, I do think that one should put one's name on a C-C. I believe that this is technically required, and what does it cost?

Bridge players, as a group, are notoriously rude, and this is another instance of that attitude. Putting one's name on the C-C is a way of introducing oneself.

I had the pleasure, when playing in Verona in 2006, of playing against a couple of players I 'knew' from BBO, and would not have known this except for the fact that I looked at their C-C on arriving at the table.

I think that there are many little courtesies that we can extend to each other in life, that make life more enjoyable, and while individually, these may be trivial, I think that there can be a cumulative effect. Sort of like waving an acknowledgment when another driver yields the right of way, or stops to let one, as a pedestrian, cross the road. Or holding the door open for someone, etc.

Of course, this may be all nonsense... it depends on one's point of view... I was brought up in a society that prized politeness a bit more than is common in NA. It had its own, different, problems:)
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#13 User is offline   keylime 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: FD TEAM
  • Interests:Motorsports, cricket, disc golf, and of course - bridge. :-)

Posted 2009-March-17, 11:03

I agree with Mike - I like knowing whom I'm playing with.
"Champions aren't made in gyms, champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. " - M. Ali

#14 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8

Posted 2009-March-17, 11:26

Maybe it's from starting to play so young and being so sick of "it's so nice to see young people playing bridge!" about fifty thousand times a day. Also the "you would be so nice for my granddaughter!" comments, notwithstanding that the granddaughter could have been anywhere from 6 to 38 years old.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#15 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2009-March-17, 11:33

jdonn, on Mar 17 2009, 08:26 PM, said:

Maybe it's from starting to play so young and being so sick of "it's so nice to see young people playing bridge!" about fifty thousand times a day. Also the "you would be so nice for my granddaughter!" comments, notwithstanding that the granddaughter could have been anywhere from 6 to 38 years old.

BTW, did anyone else notice that "Bridge" was featured prominently on last night's "How I Met Your Mother"?

(Yes, I do confess, I'm hooked on that silly, silly show)
Alderaan delenda est

#16 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2009-March-17, 11:42

I was once penalized 25% of a board because my partnership did not have two identical convention cards on the table as required by regulations. We had one convention card on the table. The opps called the TD about an opening lead that I made (it was an incredibly stupid directors call - the declarer was just upset at his result and he was trying to somehow blame us for failing to properly explain a perfectly normal lead). The TD took it upon himself to penalize us for not having 2 convention cards on the table.

This was the first of a 4 session (2 qualifying and 2 final) NAP District level game. The penalty had no impact on the outcome, as we qualified and the penalty became part of the carryover so it had virtually no effect on the ultimate score.

So, as far as having both names on the convention card is concerned, you never know when a TD will decide to penalize you for some minor breach of the regulations.

#17 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2009-March-17, 11:58

"you would be so nice for my granddaughter!"

Is being poor or ugly the reason why I didn't get this? Does it have to do with religion? Could it be cultural?

Is there a link to 'yesterday's 'How I Met Your Mother' episode?

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#18 User is offline   mikeh 

Posted 2009-March-17, 12:02

hrothgar, on Mar 17 2009, 12:33 PM, said:

jdonn, on Mar 17 2009, 08:26 PM, said:

BTW, did anyone else notice that "Bridge" was featured prominently on last night's "How I Met Your Mother"?

(Yes, I do confess, I'm hooked on that silly, silly show)

On a completely irrelevant digression, anyone wonder if Cayne's obsession with bridge, and the role it may have played in Bear Stearns, will impact the game? No news is bad news? A game that arguably cost the world economy many billions of dollars should attract some attention :P

#19 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2009-March-17, 12:08

Even bad publicity can be good publicity.

I found the link:

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

They mention the game but never actually 'play it'. At least the mention it so I figure it's a win!

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#20 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2009-March-17, 19:03

jdonn, on Mar 18 2009, 12:26 AM, said:

Now what if grandaughter were a stunning blonde nymphomaniac with big knockers, whose father owned a pub?
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users