BBO Discussion Forums: The worst time for a TD - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The worst time for a TD

Poll: What is the worst thing u can meet during runing a tourney (23 member(s) have cast votes)

What is the worst thing u can meet during runing a tourney

1. when you cannot find a subs (8 votes [34.78%])

Percentage of vote: 34.78%

2. 4+ red each round (1 votes [4.35%])

Percentage of vote: 4.35%

3. 2 players asking for adjustment (2 votes [8.70%])

Percentage of vote: 8.70%

4. players fighting together (1 votes [4.35%])

5. 4 tables asking for TD (2 votes [8.70%])

6. player keep asking why u did this (2 votes [8.70%])

7. player says to u "I am a TD and u must adjust the score to .." (1 votes [4.35%])

8. you do not find someone to co with u the tourney (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

9. you cannot fill your tourney (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

10. another tourney of same kind is runing in the same time (1 votes [4.35%])

11. you are disconected (5 votes [21.74%])

Percentage of vote: 21.74%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Fouad 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2004-May-09, 14:42

we all some times meet hard times ... but what are the most ?

fo

#2 User is offline   spwdo 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2004-May-09, 15:51

Fouad, on May 10 2004, 05:42 AM, said:

we all some times meet hard times ... but what are the most ?

fo

hi,

havent voted vause my answer wasnt in there, worst time for me is when server is acting up and all are banned, rest happens but are fixable mostley

BBO TD FRIENDS
"if you fail at your first attempt , maybe skydiving is not for you".

#3 User is offline   aisha759 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-May-09, 16:13

too many choices there, if i could, i would vote for 3 :( I chose my worst TD experience, and voted accordingly..... being disconnected as a TD is a nightmare!
The guilt!!!! I don't even want to go there!

Good luck to all TD's

Aisha
You know its time to diet, when you nod one chin and 2 others second the motion :)

#4 User is offline   slothy 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-May-09, 17:16

I refuse to answer a poll that is longer than a weekly shopping-list for an orphanage....

:D :o

Revised my opinion as i am waiting for the kettle to boil....I nearly choose people fighting together but i sometimes find that quite amusing but TWO people wanting an adjustment!!! how about FIVE (and 2 of them at the same table :) 1 asking for 3 -1 and the other other 3 + 1???
gaudium est miseris socios habuisse penarum - Misery loves company.

#5 User is offline   spwdo 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-May-09, 20:43

slothy, on May 10 2004, 08:16 AM, said:

I refuse to answer a poll that is longer than a weekly shopping-list for an orphanage....

:D :o

Revised my opinion as i am waiting for the kettle to boil....I nearly choose people fighting together but i sometimes find that quite amusing but TWO people wanting an adjustment!!! how about FIVE (and 2 of them at the same table :) 1 asking for 3 -1 and the other other 3 + 1???

hi

my worst time hosting was when whats his name was helping me :) , but my therapist saying that i ll soon be able to deal with my traumas caused that day:)

marc
"if you fail at your first attempt , maybe skydiving is not for you".

#6 User is offline   Mirjam_3 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-May-09, 23:31

For me the most difficult moment was when i hosted the Bridge and i was there in as the last host, marc not being there and the server went crazy for that long that we really cd not fix it anymore and i had to take the decision to cancel the tourney.

And the most good i felt when ALL - players, co-tds and uday - agreed with that decision.

I will never be afraid anymore... You cannot get me scared... try it :o
Glamourous Blond

#7 User is offline   Libido 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, computers, literature, music, and women.
    Im sure - order is wrong :)

Posted 2004-May-10, 02:15

The worst is...

"I am NOT a TD and u must adjust the score to .."

:o

#8 User is offline   Fouad 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2004-May-10, 09:01

I met all the above horrible times except the nightmare as aisha said ..to be disconected while hosting and hope I do not see this .. ... and u cld feel strange why i wrote in the poll " a player says I am a TD and u must adjust the score " ... i met this in one of my tourneys ...and this player gave me more than enuff headache that at certain time i felt realy to end the tourney and to never host a tourney again.... in the same time i did not adjust his score too :unsure: ..and i am not afraid of him being a TD as he says

#9 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2004-May-10, 09:08

People insisting I change their score is no problem for me... I choose to ignore that and give them a warning. Nor is players asking for adjustments a big problem. That is what we are there for, to try to keep the game fair and moving nicely. I have never been disconnected for more than minute while directing, so I will ignore that one.

Players fighting is never pleasant, but that has not been a big problem for me either, as it is fairly rare, and most players are usually placated when you address the problem for the fight.

Multiple tables red and multiple tables asking for TD are problems, but don't have too large an event or have enough co-directors and this works it self out.

player keep asking why u did something is only a small problem. Mostly because I try to do as little as possible to generate such comments. I will not tolerate too many repeat asking of the same question, however, if I am very busy. Again, this hasn't been so bad.

you do not find someone to co with u the tourney..not a problem, then I run a small tournment. The size depends upon who I have with me. But to be fair, lately (multiple months), I have only co=directed with others. I have not run my own TD in quite some time.

you cannot fill your tourney --> never was a problem. If no one wants to play, don't run it.

another tourney of same kind is runing in the same time --> This one drives some TD's crazy. I am surprized it got no votes, but for me, this is not a concern either.

The big problem is finding substitutes, and getting them into the event. This is the number one headache to me when I co=direct. It isn't even close. And now, if you substitute someone out too quickly, you increase the likelyhood they will be banned for a week. So I am slower to sub for someone who gets disconnected, adding to the hassle some what (on the plus side, fewer subs are needed lately).

Ben
--Ben--

#10 User is offline   McBruce 

• NOS (usually)
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-May-11, 02:24

What about the people who sit on the Director button?

I was in the middle of a block of announcements, made longer because one player called three times. I finish the announcements, go to the table, ask what the problem is. Someone explains and I get another TD call to the table I am already at. "OK, folks, listen up. The Director is HERE. Next person to use the button while I am here gets a penalty. Now what is the problem here?"

It's a non-responsive player. I look for a sub, and type "working on sub." None available. We wait ten seconds and another TD call from the same person--number 5!!! "[name], your score will be adjusted down 2% for repeated misuse of the Director button."

No more problems. And since this is an individual, I did just that. Can't change the BBO results, but I have a rating system on my website. The miscreant lost several points in it because of this.

Uday: we have to have the option to fine contestants in %age points for Disciplinary problems. See Law 91. It works!
ACBL TD--got my start in 2002 directing games at BBO!
Please come back to the live game; I directed enough online during COVID for several lifetimes.
Bruce McIntyre, Yamaha WX5 Roland AE-10G AKAI EWI SOLO virtuoso-in-training

#11 User is offline   Frosty 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-May-12, 23:43

This was really hard to answer with only one choice. I finally decided on "not being able to get subs" as my choice since most of the others are either the cause of "not being able to find subs" or are fixable.

Multiple Director calls probably cause the most disruptions because they interrupt whatever you are doing and cover up the screen so that you cannot work - but being an optimist, I am CERTAIN that Uday will hear our cries for help soon and fix the process so that it isn't possible to make multiple calls. When it gets bad I resort to jotting down the table numbers and clearing the calls as fast as they come. This means I don't have the message the player entered but this way I also eliminate any double/triple/quadruple, quintuple/(well you get the drift) calls from the same table.

Too many overlapping events is often the cause for "not being able to get subs".

People who dictate adjustments are simply ignored since my answer is always - " I will check".

If you can't get subs, the play is stopped - nothing is worse than that!!!

Frosty ;)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users