• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Vanderbilt predictions

#61 User is offline   JanM 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2009-March-23, 08:39

I've posted the bye information on the usbf website (click on "Open Trials" under the Main Menu). But for those who don't want to click a few more times - Nickell has a semi-final bye, Welland has a Quarterfinal bye, Katz, Diamond & Strul have Round of 16 byes. This leaves only 7 spaces for Round Robin players in the Round of 16 and means the event may go one day longer than had been planned. As soon as entries close (April 10th) and the Technical Committee has figured out the Round Robin format, we'll post a schedule.
Jan Martel, who should probably state that she is not speaking on behalf of the USBF, the ACBL, the WBF Systems Committee, or any member of any Systems Committee or Laws Commission.

#62 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2009-March-23, 14:00

TimG, on Mar 22 2009, 12:33 PM, said:

On another note, I was surprised how late the matches ran. While the tournament schedule says the evening session started at 7:30, it seemed to me that the vugraphs got started about 8:00. And, it was nearly 11 PM when the 3rd quarter of the final ended. Playing the 4th quarter from 11 PM to 2 AM (or later) must be hard. I wonder why it is that there is so much resistance to playing these matches during more "normal" hours. Isn't this the way it is done in most other parts of the world? Not that this should be reason enough to do it in ACBL.

What time zone are you in, Tim? The VuGraphs started around 2 and 8 local time for me, but it's an hour earlier in Houston.

But I agree that it still ended too late, I was bleary-eyed at the end. And the times when I've been at the venue, I've frequently nodded off in the Vugraph theatre.

#63 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2009-March-23, 14:02

Unless/until the vugraph makes money for, well, anyone, I seriously doubt the desires of the viewership will be a paramount consideration in determining playing times.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#64 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2009-March-23, 14:11

Then how about the desires of:

Players -- I'm sure they enjoy midnight KOs as much as the rest of us, but I doubt they play their best bridge during them (even if they're not drinking).
Directors -- they have to stay up to monitor the event
Caddies -- they have to pick up the equipment at the end
Bulletin writer -- he has to write the article on the event
ACBL President -- he has to hang around to hand out the trophy

#65 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8

Posted 2009-March-23, 14:28

barmar, on Mar 23 2009, 03:11 PM, said:

Then how about the desires of:

Players -- I'm sure they enjoy midnight KOs as much as the rest of us, but I doubt they play their best bridge during them (even if they're not drinking).

They don't care, in fact I think they appreciate being able to sleep in.

Directors -- they have to stay up to monitor the event

They get paid, they will do as they are told.

Caddies -- they have to pick up the equipment at the end

For most caddies who regularly do NABCs it ends early for them, if anything.

Bulletin writer -- he has to write the article on the event
ACBL President -- he has to hang around to hand out the trophy

Big deal and big deal?

It's only the players that matter, and given the influence of the players who regularly make the late rounds of these events, if they wanted it changed it would change.

Now, if the vugraph ever gets a sponsor, we can talk.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#66 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2009-March-23, 14:56

These starting times seem to be a cultural thing. In Europe and many other places they prefer to start at 1030AM...take a short break and play thru. Thus having the evening free.

This past week the Vandy was finishing around 1:30 AM local time.

#67 User is offline   TimG 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-March-23, 15:38

barmar, on Mar 23 2009, 03:00 PM, said:

What time zone are you in, Tim? The VuGraphs started around 2 and 8 local time for me, but it's an hour earlier in Houston.

I'm East Coast US, just like you. I thought that the 2nd halves of the semi-final and final started about 9:00 my time (8:00 Houston). I'm quite sure the 4th quarter of the final started about midnight my time (11:00 Houston). But, maybe it was so late I had my hours mixed up...

jdonn: I did not mean to suggest that vugraph audiences should be catered to. As a player, I wouldn't want to be playing into the wee hours. Obviously a significant portion of those that play in the event like it this way or there would have been a change. But still, it surprises me.

#68 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2009-March-24, 19:31

Congrats to Fred, both teams played very well. I thought Fred's team played well enough to win against anything less than the great effort by Katz.

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users