benlessard, on Jan 22 2009, 03:00 AM, said:
I surely didnt like my 2H opening, we are very liberal about our preempt since we dont care too much about ODR and LOTT. But this hand is clearly short for strenght as in 2nd seat R preempt are constructive, next time ill pass. Note that not bidding 2H and youll probably never 4H here. (probably going down on a top club lead a H swith and play the A on dummy) .
Stiff club lead is IMO automatic. Ive played a discouraging card wich mean that i can tolerated a switch. Wich can only mean im ruffing D or have the Q.
At trick 2 I think its not too tough to play A♠,A♦ followed by 2 ruffs.
"I surely didn't like my 2H opening ..."
Me neither. As an indication, on hearing the double of 4S I would have a considerable sense of foreboding.
"Note that not bidding 2H ... never get to 4H ..." which would make if ...
There's always a justification of some sort. The other justification is that it pushed the opponents into a precarious contract, though as it happens it requires genius defense to defeat it.
"Stiff club lead is IMO automatic. Ive played a discouraging card wich mean that i can tolerated a switch. Wich can only mean im ruffing D or have the Q."
Third hand, especially at trick one, has time to think. Nonetheless the analysis here is garbled. Firstly, it implies that a large club would ask partner, who has just led a singleton, to lead more clubs. Secondly, having shortness OR the Q isn't the same has having shortness.
"At trick 2 I think its not too tough to play A
♠,A
♦ followed by 2 ruffs."
As second hand (such as partner here at trick 2) I always feel I should play in tempo. It takes a hell of a defender to take into account declarer's possible heart situation, judge to go counter to the instinct to duck this card combination, and correctly judge the best chance to defeat this contract -- especially all in tempo. Maybe the Garozzos of the world are entitled to expect their partners to think that crisply but from those of us whose own thinking is sometimes fuzzy, it's an unreasonable expectation.
Charles