1D-1H
1S-2C!
2D-2S
...
2C=4th suit GF
Is 2S always a 4-card here?
Page 1 of 1
Support after 4SF
#1
Posted 2009-January-05, 17:58
Bridge Single Dummy Program: https://github.com/k...eDummy/releases
#2
Posted 2009-January-05, 18:07
There could be some problematic hand with say 3=5=2=3 and no club stopper that would bid 2♠ if the texture was right - perhaps
♠ KQx
♥ AKxxx
♦ Jx
♣ xxx
But otherwise four spades would be expected.
♠ KQx
♥ AKxxx
♦ Jx
♣ xxx
But otherwise four spades would be expected.
Wayne Burrows
I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon
I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon
#3
Posted 2009-January-05, 18:21
It depends on what 3♣ would mean. If 3♣ is natural, you have to be able to do something with awkward hands like that suggested by Cascade. I prefer to play
1♦-1♥
1♠-3♣
as natural and game-forcing, so that I can play 2♣ followed by 3♣ as more 4th suit forcing, and therefore promise four spades with 2♠.
1♦-1♥
1♠-3♣
as natural and game-forcing, so that I can play 2♣ followed by 3♣ as more 4th suit forcing, and therefore promise four spades with 2♠.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn
#4
Posted 2009-January-06, 03:00
I play 2♣ + 3♣ as 5-5 invitational hand.
I never realiced there could be a problem with some hands, I think 2♠ is GF in spades and slam going. With the problem hand I think I would rather bid 3♦.
I never realiced there could be a problem with some hands, I think 2♠ is GF in spades and slam going. With the problem hand I think I would rather bid 3♦.
#5
Posted 2009-January-06, 06:51
No...
- could be a good 3 card suit without club stop
- 4-3 fits improves declarer play!
- could be a good 3 card suit without club stop
- 4-3 fits improves declarer play!
#6
Posted 2009-January-06, 07:02
Agree with gnasher that it probably depends on what direct 3C over 1S would be. I play direct 3C as 5-5 invitational, so going via 2C then bidding 3C is 5-5 GF for me. In the given auction, 2S would promise 4+ spades. In Cascade's hand, I would have to bid 2H in my partnership.
- Andy -
We are all connected to each other biologically, to the Earth chemically, and to the rest of the universe atomically.
We're in the universe, and the universe is in us.
We are all connected to each other biologically, to the Earth chemically, and to the rest of the universe atomically.
We're in the universe, and the universe is in us.
#7
Posted 2009-January-06, 16:43
Thanks all for the answers.
The auction did go:
1♦-1♥!
1♠!-2♣!
2♦-2♥
2NT-4NT
5♥-6♥
1♥=4+card ♠ (can be 4-4 M)
1♠=4+card ♥
2♣=4th suit GF
During the auction I wasn't sure if 2♥ always showed 4 card ♥. (After the auction we agreed that it should. We feel more comfortable with that).
I took 4NT as RKC for ♥ (this was MP's and we missed a good 6NT).
....Suppose that 2♥ shows a 4-4 ♥ fit: Do 2♠ till 3♦ show side suits/extra length or should they be controls bids? ..And 3♥?
The auction did go:
1♦-1♥!
1♠!-2♣!
2♦-2♥
2NT-4NT
5♥-6♥
1♥=4+card ♠ (can be 4-4 M)
1♠=4+card ♥
2♣=4th suit GF
During the auction I wasn't sure if 2♥ always showed 4 card ♥. (After the auction we agreed that it should. We feel more comfortable with that).
I took 4NT as RKC for ♥ (this was MP's and we missed a good 6NT).
....Suppose that 2♥ shows a 4-4 ♥ fit: Do 2♠ till 3♦ show side suits/extra length or should they be controls bids? ..And 3♥?
Bridge Single Dummy Program: https://github.com/k...eDummy/releases
#8
Posted 2009-January-06, 17:19
you are mixing up hearts and spades koen.
About your question, after 1♦-1♥-1♠-2♣-2♦-2♠, partner will always pattern out to show 4153 (3 clubs), 4252 (2NT) or any 6421 (3 diamonds).
After that everything is a cue.
About your question, after 1♦-1♥-1♠-2♣-2♦-2♠, partner will always pattern out to show 4153 (3 clubs), 4252 (2NT) or any 6421 (3 diamonds).
After that everything is a cue.
#9
Posted 2009-January-06, 17:28
Fluffy, on Jan 7 2009, 01:19 AM, said:
you are mixing up hearts and spades koen.
That are our agreements and how the bidding went. It would have been better if I kept the original bidding to avoid confusion.
Quote
About your question, after 1♦-1♥-1♠-2♣-2♦-2♠, partner will always pattern out to show 4153 (3 clubs), 4252 (2NT) or any 6421 (3 diamonds).
After that everything is a cue.
After that everything is a cue.
We have the agreement that controls starts from 3♠, but can 3♦ in the bidding below show anything else the a control (A, K or Q in partners suit) or should it also show some ♦ length?
1♦-1♥
1♠-2♣
2♦-2♠
3♣-3♦
Bridge Single Dummy Program: https://github.com/k...eDummy/releases
#10
Posted 2009-January-06, 17:58
I missed your reversal majors sorry.
I think 3♦ clearly shows ♦A or ♦K, there is a point for it showing lenght I guess and let partner know ♦Q is huge, but I don't complicate things that much.
I think 3♦ clearly shows ♦A or ♦K, there is a point for it showing lenght I guess and let partner know ♦Q is huge, but I don't complicate things that much.
Page 1 of 1

Help
