BBO Discussion Forums: Sometimes I think... - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sometimes I think...

#1 User is offline   HeavyDluxe 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 297
  • Joined: 2005-June-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Windsor, VT

Posted 2008-December-30, 09:12

... I'll never get it.

Scoring: IMP

1♦ (2♣) 3NT
???

What do you bid? What would it mean?

Scoring: IMP

1♦ (2♣) 3NT
???

What do you bid and why?
0

#2 User is offline   matmat 

  • ded
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,459
  • Joined: 2005-August-11
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 2008-December-30, 09:20

1) if i had to guess, I'd say that p likely doesn't have the 3N call.
2) depends on what methods you play.
0

#3 User is offline   helene_t 

  • The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,401
  • Joined: 2004-April-22
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Odense, Denmark
  • Interests:History, languages

Posted 2008-December-30, 09:27

1) 4♥. Shows this kind of hand. Pass would not be unreasonable.

2) I suppose pass. Would have bid 1♥ on the round before.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket
0

#4 User is offline   TylerE 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,778
  • Joined: 2006-January-30

Posted 2008-December-30, 09:33

Both hands are much less of a problem if the 1♦ bids were replaced with 1♥. IMO those that open 1m with 5M-6m shape (Even moreso 5-5) are completly nuts.
0

#5 User is offline   matmat 

  • ded
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,459
  • Joined: 2005-August-11
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 2008-December-30, 09:43

TylerE, on Dec 30 2008, 10:33 AM, said:

Both hands are much less of a problem if the 1♦ bids were replaced with 1♥. IMO those that open 1m with 5M-6m shape (Even moreso 5-5) are completly nuts.

i think the first is a 1♦ opening. the suits are certainly good enough to reverse.

the second one, I do prefer 1♥, but if you're agreement is to bid up the line, then 1♦ it is.
0

#6 User is offline   H_KARLUK 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 973
  • Joined: 2006-March-17
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2008-December-30, 09:47

4H
PASS
We all know that light travels faster than sound. That's why certain people appear bright until you hear them speak. Quoted by Albert Einstein.
0

#7 User is offline   brianshark 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 895
  • Joined: 2006-May-13
  • Location:Dublin
  • Interests:Artificial Intelligence, Computer Games, Satire, Football, Rugby... and Bridge I suppose.

Posted 2008-December-30, 09:50

Agree with 1♦ then 4♥ on the first and 1♥ unless system says to bid 1♦ and Pass on the 2nd.
The difference between theory and practice is that in theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is.
0

#8 User is offline   HeavyDluxe 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 297
  • Joined: 2005-June-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Windsor, VT

Posted 2008-December-30, 11:12

Thanks all.


First hand: 4♥ was what I bid. I guess my question is whether or not that implies something more in the tank. Assume that partner actually might have their 3NT bid.

Second hand: No agreements beyond ye olde 'SAYC', so I assumed I'd bid up the line.
0

#9 User is offline   matmat 

  • ded
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,459
  • Joined: 2005-August-11
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 2008-December-30, 11:17

HeavyDluxe, on Dec 30 2008, 12:12 PM, said:

Thanks all.


First hand: 4♥ was what I bid. I guess my question is whether or not that implies something more in the tank. Assume that partner actually might have their 3NT bid.

Second hand: No agreements beyond ye olde 'SAYC', so I assumed I'd bid up the line.

i'd be curious to see p's hand for bd 1.
0

#10 User is offline   kenberg 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,277
  • Joined: 2004-September-22
  • Location:Northern Maryland

Posted 2008-December-30, 11:26

Second hand:
It's a very big IF, but if your partner is really playing SAYC then he does not have a four card major because your 1D, in SAYC, does not deny a four card major. He has to have four of something so I guess it's clubs. The opponents have nine spades between them so I guess I might rebid 2C. Or not. But 2C has some merit.
Ken
0

#11 User is offline   neilkaz 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,568
  • Joined: 2006-June-28
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Barrington IL USA
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2008-December-30, 11:32

HeavyDluxe, on Dec 30 2008, 11:12 AM, said:

Thanks all.


First hand:  4♥ was what I bid.  I guess my question is whether or not that implies something more in the tank.  Assume that partner actually might have their 3NT bid.

Second hand:  No agreements beyond ye olde 'SAYC', so I assumed I'd bid up the line.

Hand 1) 4♥ for me. You do have some extras here and I think a red suit game makes more sense then 3NT with your 65 and void.

Hand 2) Pass now. Opps have had chances to bid ♠ and likely have 9 of them but they haven't. If PD can't stop S and the opps rattle off 5 tricks, so be it, and with 22-24 HCP in the other suits I'd expect PD to take 7 tricks anyhow. If 1NT goes set, it is likely that the opps have missed 2♠
0

#12 User is offline   HeavyDluxe 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 297
  • Joined: 2005-June-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Windsor, VT

Posted 2008-December-30, 14:31

Quote

i'd be curious to see p's hand for bd 1.

I was too, Matt.


re: Hand #2

Quote

It's a very big IF, but if your partner is really playing SAYC then he does not have a four card major because your 1D, in SAYC, does not deny a four card major. He has to have four of something so I guess it's clubs. The opponents have nine spades between them so I guess I might rebid 2C.

That's what happened, Ken. I pulled 1NT to 2♣. I figured pard was likely to have 4+ clubs on the auction, and I had a ruffing value there. Even on a 4/3 fit, I though ♣s might be better than NT.

Turns out pard had a 4333 (4 in ♠s) 14 count. and lit up over the 2♣ bid. I thought it was reasonable given his denial of a spade suit. Floating 1NT was clearly ok too.
0

#13 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,146
  • Joined: 2005-March-18
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2008-December-30, 15:33

#1 5H, partner can pick the slam we are playing
#2 Pass, the alternative being 3C
3C is most likely better, you still have the chance
to reach game.
The given auction howes, why it pays sometimes
to bid up the line.
Advocates of the school, who bid 1H instead of 1D
usually ignore the fact, that yu are sometimes better
be placed, if you bid 1D.
In the given seq. you know, that partner has 4 clubs,
hence you know, that you have a fit.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)
0

#14 User is offline   vuroth 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,459
  • Joined: 2007-June-03
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2008-December-30, 16:17

HeavyDluxe, on Dec 30 2008, 03:31 PM, said:

Turns out pard had a 4333 (4 in ♠s) 14 count. and lit up over the 2♣ bid.

Wow, why would 2♣ get him excited??
Still decidedly intermediate - don't take my guesses as authoritative.

"gwnn" said:

rule number 1 in efficient forum reading:
hanp does not always mean literally what he writes.
0

#15 User is offline   HeavyDluxe 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 297
  • Joined: 2005-June-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Windsor, VT

Posted 2008-December-30, 16:27

Quote

Wow, why would 2♣ get him excited??

Stated reason: I promised extras. So, he bid 2NT and went off 1.

To be honest, I wasn't too concerned about the 2nd hand. The first one was the one I though we hacked up. But, since I was making a post, might as well see if I blew it on #2 as well. :)
0

#16 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,146
  • Joined: 2005-March-18
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2008-December-30, 17:22

HeavyDluxe, on Dec 30 2008, 05:27 PM, said:

Quote

Wow, why would 2♣ get him excited??

Stated reason: I promised extras. So, he bid 2NT and went off 1.

To be honest, I wasn't too concerned about the 2nd hand. The first one was the one I though we hacked up. But, since I was making a post, might as well see if I blew it on #2 as well. :)

Some play 2C as checkback, similar to NMF, and if 2C was
interpreted as checkback, 2C showes inv. values, which you
have by the way.
But 2NT does not match the comment, if he has 14HCP, he
should accept the invite and bid game.
After all, what more can a passed hand have for an invite,
2NT just say I have no interest in game.

For whats it worth, hand #2 is more important, it is the borring
hand, I agree, but messing up the boring hands is the reason
why one does not make the cut.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)
0

#17 User is offline   helene_t 

  • The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,401
  • Joined: 2004-April-22
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Odense, Denmark
  • Interests:History, languages

Posted 2008-December-30, 18:04

Hand 1:

Not sure why you would start with 1♦ instead of 1♥. You aren't really interested in a diamond fit, are you?

Partner's 2NT bid doesn't make sense. Either 2♣ is CBS and he must show his spades, or 2♣ is natural in which case he must pass. If it's natural it certainly doesn't show extras. If anything, 2♣ tends to be weaker than pass, since with 9-10 points you would be happy to let p play 1NT.

Hand 2:

Partner's 3NT is somewhat undisciplined. There are too many hands you could have with which he would go down in 3NT while 6♣ was on.

Yeah, 4♥ does promise extras as it does not preclude p from moving towards slam. But I think you have them with this hand.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket
0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users