BBO Discussion Forums: Whitest lie? - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Whitest lie?

#1 User is online   jillybean 

  • hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 12,983
  • Joined: 2003-November-15
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Vancouver, Canada
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2008-December-29, 00:51


Dealer: East
Vul: EW
Scoring: IMP
♠ AK5
♥ KQ8
♦ T9832
♣ 74


West North East South

 -     -     Pass  1♦
 2♣    Dbl   Pass  ?

“It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.”
Bridge should be fun!
0

#2 User is offline   dicklont 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 750
  • Joined: 2007-October-18
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Netherlands
  • Interests:Bridge, music, sports

Posted 2008-December-29, 01:06

2♥.
I'd rather have four but I see no alternative.
I would bid 2♦ as a weak respons without majors, but only when we have an agreement about it.
--
Finding your own mistakes is more productive than looking for partner's. It improves your game and is good for your soul. (Nige1)
0

#3 User is online   jillybean 

  • hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 12,983
  • Joined: 2003-November-15
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Vancouver, Canada
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2008-December-29, 01:10

dicklont, on Dec 29 2008, 12:06 AM, said:

2♥.
I'd rather have four but I see no alternative.
I would bid 2♦ as a weak respons without majors, but only when we have an agreement about it.

What else can 2♦ be other than weak?
“It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.”
Bridge should be fun!
0

#4 User is offline   dicklont 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 750
  • Joined: 2007-October-18
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Netherlands
  • Interests:Bridge, music, sports

Posted 2008-December-29, 01:36

jillybean2, on Dec 29 2008, 02:10 AM, said:

What else can 2♦ be other than weak?

A decent 5-card or longer. No extra HCP's of course.
--
Finding your own mistakes is more productive than looking for partner's. It improves your game and is good for your soul. (Nige1)
0

#5 User is offline   rogerclee 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,214
  • Joined: 2007-December-16
  • Location:Pasadena, CA

Posted 2008-December-29, 02:50

This sort of hand is a common problem, most people just bid 2♥. As a side note, this is why players are always talking about the advantages of bidding 2♣ over 1♦ (and 2♦ over 1♣).
0

#6 User is offline   paulg 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 5,254
  • Joined: 2003-April-26
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Edinburgh

Posted 2008-December-29, 02:56

I believe you are forced into 2♦ here but I'm not unhappy about that with a 5-card suit. I think you'd also be forced into 2♦ if you held 3=3=4=3 with no club stop - I'd be less happy but think it's clear too.

You don't want to bid notrump with a small doubleton.

Partner has not guaranteed both majors with the double and this is the reason the picking a major is dangerous. All partner needs to double is a hand that can cope with you bidding a 4-card major, so can easily be 4-3 majors with a fair hand and no club stop. Given the lack of bidding, something like 4=3=3=3 is quite possible.

If partner has 5-4 majors, then you'd rather play in the 5-3 fit rather than the 4-3 and bidding 2♦ is the only way to assure this.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades
0

#7 User is offline   Gerben42 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 5,577
  • Joined: 2005-March-01
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Erlangen, Germany
  • Interests:Astronomy, Mathematics
    Nuclear power

Posted 2008-December-29, 04:22

2♦, not really happy but at least I have 5 of them...
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!
My Bridge Systems Page

BC Kultcamp Rieneck
0

#8 User is offline   andy_h 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,962
  • Joined: 2007-September-14
  • Location:Australia
  • Interests:The Universe, Traveling, Squash, and Scandinavia.

Posted 2008-December-29, 05:05

Don't mind either 2D or 2H. 2D isn't that attractive with that suit and 2H isn't that attractive since you only have 3 of them. On the bright side, diamonds is a 5card suit and the club shortage (we'll be ruffing with our short trump(s)) will be counteracting with our 3 card heart suit. Maybe my answer depends on who I'm playing with and if they can expect a 3card Major or not, but I think I'll tend to stick with 2D.
- Andy -

We are all connected to each other biologically, to the Earth chemically, and to the rest of the universe atomically.
We're in the universe, and the universe is in us.
0

#9 User is offline   dicklont 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 750
  • Joined: 2007-October-18
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Netherlands
  • Interests:Bridge, music, sports

Posted 2008-December-29, 16:51

I'm convinced by Cardsharp.
Since partner can have 4/3 in the majors I must bid 2♦ here and see what happens.
--
Finding your own mistakes is more productive than looking for partner's. It improves your game and is good for your soul. (Nige1)
0

#10 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,146
  • Joined: 2005-March-18
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2008-December-29, 17:46

2D.

Ugly, but what else.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)
0

#11 User is offline   JavaBean 

  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 44
  • Joined: 2008-November-08

Posted 2008-December-29, 20:18

2♦, I guess. I'm not delighted, but I don't think it's the "whitest lie" either; in fact I don't think it's a lie at all. Rebidding my suit here shouldn't guarantee six, but more like deny anything else useful to do. Partner will not have made a negative double if he can't stand for me to rebid my suit cheaply.

I don't hate 2♥ either - the 4-3 may play quite well, with reasonable hearts, and a mild ruffing value. Of course, partner may think the same thing with three hearts and short diamonds!
0

#12 User is offline   neilkaz 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,568
  • Joined: 2006-June-28
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Barrington IL USA
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2008-December-29, 22:29

From reading thru Bergen's Neg X book tonite, I think he'd bid 2♥ here with a good 3 carder and such a poor 5 card ♦
0

#13 User is offline   foo 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,380
  • Joined: 2003-September-24

Posted 2008-December-29, 23:08

jillybean2, on Dec 29 2008, 01:51 AM, said:

East,EW,IMP,
AK5_KQ8_T9832_74

Pa-1♦-(2♣)-Dbl;
Pa-??

Partnership Agreement time.

Hands like this are why some pairs play that C's-(D's)-X or D's-(C's)-X promises 44 in the Majors or a hand that can handle any subsequent auction.

Your best bet with this hand is 2H.
0

#14 User is offline   the hog 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,728
  • Joined: 2003-March-07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Laos
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2008-December-30, 00:36

2H. Don't like 2D at all.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.
0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users