BBO Discussion Forums: What is best system - BBO Discussion Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What is best system

Poll: If you had all the time in the world to play any published system with any partner of your choice what would it be? (94 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   olien 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2008-December-16, 16:45

I am wondering what system people would prefer to play if given an infinite amount of time to practice and learn it and with any partner they desire.

#2 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2008-December-16, 17:01

Forcing pass, but if my opponents try to play it then I want it banned because it's too hard to play against.

(Sorry couldn't help myself)
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#3 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2008-December-16, 17:03

jdonn, on Dec 17 2008, 12:01 PM, said:

Forcing pass, but if my opponents try to play it then I want it banned because it's too hard to play against.

(Sorry couldn't help myself)

There might be a job for you on a conventions committee. :)
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#4 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

• Vesuvius the Violent Volcano
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:SLEEPING

Posted 2008-December-16, 17:14

With the majority of my current partners I would prefer to play precision, however when given a choice to partner anybody in the world I might change my vote... However I think that precision is an excellent system, and guess what? ACBL allows it!!
Yay for the "Ignored Users" feature!

#5 User is offline   effervesce 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-December-16, 17:27

My take on the options:

Polish Club - I like the 11-17 limited openings. The 1 opening works reasonably with and without interference, but without interference seems (from my experience at least) to perform significantly worse than precision or relay auctions.

Precision - Even more limited openings than Polish, which is good. The 1 opening tends to get interfered with ALOT, but works extremely well if there is no interference (especially if you play relays).

SAYC - the standard system for most players.

2/1 - Mainly gains over SAYC on slam bidding, but performs worse on invitational hands.

ACOL - Never tried it so I can't comment.

forcing pass - Takes alot of work to get off the ground, and can't be used in alot of events. The lack of experience makes hand evaluation difficult. The 8-12 openings are a major plus, especially with a relay and non-forcing responses in place. The pass opening works without intervention, but with intervention is even worse than a precision 1C. How the fert works depends on the opps (despite the supplied suggested defense) - bashes bunnies but is so-so against good players, and hampers own constructive bidding after a fert.

relay system - eg MOSCITO. Good with limited openings and extremely accurate in slam bidding without interference. The 'fast in fast out' bidding approach has its pluses and minuses. Again, may suffer from hand evaluation problems if not played frequently.

La Majeure Cinquième - What is this system?
Ming

--Always remember you're unique. Just like everyone else.

#6 User is offline   DrTodd13 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-December-16, 17:35

It does not necessarily follow the I would want to play the "best" system. Maybe I want to play the system that is most fun.

#7 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2008-December-16, 17:39

Canape. Not listed, but that's my choice.

Of course, there are dozens of canape approaches, and I have my preference, but that's another issue.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#8 User is offline   Echognome 

• Deipnosophist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-December-16, 17:42

<Awaiting Richard to use the word "transitive".>
"Half the people you know are below average." - Steven Wright

#9 User is offline   effervesce 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-December-16, 17:55

DrTodd13, on Dec 16 2008, 06:35 PM, said:

It does not necessarily follow the I would want to play the "best" system.  Maybe I want to play the system that is most fun.

For me, an essential component of a fun system is that it is effective. If a system consistently brought bad results, I wouldn't find it fun at all.
Ming

#10 User is offline   keylime 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: FD TEAM
  • Interests:Motorsports, cricket, disc golf, and of course - bridge. :-)

Posted 2008-December-16, 17:55

Precision for me with canapé - what I play currently.
"Champions aren't made in gyms, champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. " - M. Ali

#11 User is offline   glen 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Military history, WW II wargames

Posted 2008-December-16, 17:58

olien, on Dec 16 2008, 05:45 PM, said:

I am wondering what system people would prefer to play if given an infinite amount of time to practice and learn it and with any partner they desire.

Well if this was available, I would pick the best player in the world, and then ask "what system partner?"
'I hit my peak at seven' Taylor Swift

#12 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8

Posted 2008-December-16, 18:03

glen, on Dec 16 2008, 06:58 PM, said:

Well if this was available, I would pick the best player in the world, and then ask "what system partner?"

I already replied to the thread.

#13 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2008-December-16, 18:05

relay, undoubtedly. Relay needn't mean Moscito or any big club method, it is possible to incorporate very extensive relays into standard frameworks.

I don't, however, recommend relay for anyone with a real job :P Too much work.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#14 User is offline   effervesce 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-December-16, 18:12

glen, on Dec 16 2008, 06:58 PM, said:

Pooh-the question asked was best system. However, I doubt anybody in the world would be capable of playing such a best system.

Oops. Nevermind-the question was about best published system.
Ming

#15 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2008-December-16, 18:14

I miss a monkey option.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#16 User is offline   Flameous 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:How to find out shape below 2NT.

Posted 2008-December-16, 18:26

Where is Magic Diamond from the list? :P I actually prefer the "Magic pass" variant so it goes under forcing pass in a sense. I really think it truly is the best system yet made (of course not all auctions of it are perfected yet) but also is the most difficult and has a huge memory load. My head is totally messed up even with the light version ;)

I also like really much of some self made systems which are based on semi-forcing pass, Magic D and Polish/Carrot Club and sort of hybrids of these. I especially think that working with Polish and and Magic D could lead to system that's better prepared against distruption in same way as Polish is compared to precision. It might also help to incorporate my favorite single bid of kamikaze NT into Magic D.

#17 User is offline   Echognome 

• Deipnosophist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-December-16, 18:29

mikeh, on Dec 16 2008, 04:05 PM, said:

relay, undoubtedly. Relay needn't mean Moscito or any big club method, it is possible to incorporate very extensive relays into standard frameworks.

I don't, however, recommend relay for anyone with a real job :P Too much work.

I actually used to play relay for several years. I think it has some great aspects to it and know that several of the top pairs incorporate relay into their system. Relay is also general enough in my mind to include what I would consider "partial relays" as opposed to "full relays" (where a full relay would mean that an exact shape is known and a partial relay might show say a 6-4).

I personally believe a system where you can either take control and relay or revert to natural bidding quickly would be a good one. One I experimented with was a natural 5-card majors system, where 1M - 2 was artificial and you could have the option to relay after that, whereas all other sequences would yield natural continuations.

The difficulty I found in making such a system was when you had to deal with not only shape, but a wider range for opener. Still, I think such a system is interesting if you had the time to really study and work with a partner. At the moment, sadly I do not. ;)
"Half the people you know are below average." - Steven Wright

#18 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2008-December-16, 18:36

Strong Pass without a doubt. WOR

Btw do you know that if you refer to this as a FP system that this is in fact a misnomer. The pass is strong and technically forcing. However I have seen it passed. Bobby Richman, Aust international picked up a 23 count. His rho passed, 13+, Richman tanked and lho with a 0 count passed! Puts pressure on 4th seat, doesn't it?

Second choice is Polish Club, Idzdebski's version.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#19 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8

Posted 2008-December-16, 18:53

BTW, if you prefer TOSR or Viking, are you supposed to choose the relay system option or the precision option in the poll?

#20 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-December-16, 19:09

While I think relays are good in some auctions, most of the published "relay systems" seem to go overboard with it. Relay is not the best way to find a reasonable partial, or to invite game, or to determine whether we have the necessary stoppers for 3NT. So while relays can be a big win on the occasional slam decision... I think I'd go with some form of precision or even "standard" bidding with relays in a small number of auctions. Garrozzo has proposed some nice methods in the "standard with relays" style.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users