BBO Discussion Forums: Toying with Stayman - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Toying with Stayman

#1 User is offline   Free 

  • mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,728
  • Joined: 2003-July-30
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Belgium
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2008-December-16, 13:50

Just some thoughts about 1NT responses. I'd like to hear some second opinions.

Suppose you want to include any invite with 5♠ into 2♣. This frees up 1NT-2♥-2♠-2NT for a retransfer to 3♣ which makes sure we can show more hand types, set trumps at lower levels,...

Now the problem becomes: invites with 4♠. After an auction 1NT-2♣-2♥, you can use 2♠ as invite with 5♠ and 2NT as invite with 4♠ (or the other way around). This creates a problem for invitational hands without a 4 card Major. I know that some think an invite is unnecessary, but I'd like to have it available. One way is to use 1NT-2♠ as a min/max ask, but I'd like to have that bid available for other purposes.

I'm wondering if it's playable to use 1NT-2♣-2♥-2♠ as invite with 4-5♠?
And also the best way opener should react, especially with 3♠s?
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe
0

#2 User is offline   MickyB 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,290
  • Joined: 2004-May-03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London, England

Posted 2008-December-16, 14:31

Suggest 1N:2S as range ask, can get a lot of other hands through there still. Otherwise maybe 1N:2D, 2H:2S as the range-ask. Mixing 4- and 5-card invites is one of the main flaws in Keri.
0

#3 User is offline   benlessard 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,465
  • Joined: 2006-January-07
  • Location:Montreal Canada
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2008-December-16, 14:32

I dont like 4 or 5 lenght bids. Instead of having 4or5 and 6+ the cutoff should be 4 or 5+.


http://forums.bridge...showtopic=22302

This is perfect for

1- facing a passed hand when slam is unlikely
2- facing a wide ranging Nt.
3 facing a pretty weak Nt.
4- If you frequently open 1Nt with 5M

If you want to keep transfers then i think

2C----2H----2S should be forcing and deny spades.
2C----2H----2Nt should show 4 or 5.

The problem with

2C---2H----2S showing 4 or 5 is that responder cannot pass holding 3S and no ruffing power. 3433 will represent 35+% of the hands. Having 2S as a range check over 2H is pretty valuable.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."
0

#4 User is offline   inquiry 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Posts: 14,566
  • Joined: 2003-February-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Amelia Island, FL
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2008-December-16, 14:42

Take a look at some of glen ashton's stuff on his www.bridgematters.com web site. He uses 2♣ with game invite hands with 5♠'s, he handles balanced hands game try bundled in his 2♦ (jacoby transfer) even when lacking as many as 4♥'s.
--Ben--

#5 User is online   awm 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 8,720
  • Joined: 2005-February-09
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Zurich, Switzerland

Posted 2008-December-16, 14:54

I've had some very bad experiences playing methods where 2♦ is either a transfer to hearts or various invites that need not include hearts. It seems like opponents sometimes bid over the 2♦ call and sorting out the alternatives becomes a total nightmare.

I'd recommend that responses to 1NT should generally guarantee length in a particular suit, or guarantee invitational values... and to stay away from calls that are "either/or." But to each his own.

In any case, perhaps one solution to the problem is to add a 2NT response to stayman, showing a minimum with both majors. Now:

1NT - 2♣ - 2♥ (4+♥ denies spades) - 2NT can be with 4♠ or no major

1NT - 2♣ - 2NT (4/4 majors min) and we can play 3♦/3♥ transfer to a major (to play there or raise to game or start a slam auction in the suit) and 3♣ as a game-forcing relay

Removing the 4-4 major hands also might let you use 3♣ as GF relay in other auctions after a stayman response

The only loss is that on "garbage stayman" hands you play at the three-level when opener has both majors and a min, but in this case opponents have a huge minor suit fit anyway and concealing the nature of responder's hand will probably shut them out of the bidding.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit
0

#6 User is offline   kgr 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,465
  • Joined: 2003-April-11

Posted 2008-December-16, 16:44

Free, on Dec 16 2008, 09:50 PM, said:

Just some thoughts about 1NT responses. I'd like to hear some second opinions.

Suppose you want to include any invite with 5♠ into 2♣. This frees up 1NT-2♥-2♠-2NT for a retransfer to 3♣ which makes sure we can show more hand types, set trumps at lower levels,...

Now the problem becomes: invites with 4♠. After an auction 1NT-2♣-2♥, you can use 2♠ as invite with 5♠ and 2NT as invite with 4♠ (or the other way around). This creates a problem for invitational hands without a 4 card Major. I know that some think an invite is unnecessary, but I'd like to have it available. One way is to use 1NT-2♠ as a min/max ask, but I'd like to have that bid available for other purposes.

I'm wondering if it's playable to use 1NT-2♣-2♥-2♠ as invite with 4-5♠?
And also the best way opener should react, especially with 3♠s?

See http://freebridge.bl...-after-1nt.html :)
Bridge Single Dummy Program: https://github.com/k...eDummy/releases
0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users