• You cannot reply to this topic

About Precision 2D 2D response

#21 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2008-December-12, 13:41

benlessard, on Dec 12 2008, 08:56 AM, said:

Having the 2♣ opener promise 6 is very useful. A lot of bad scores from opening 2♣ come when the suit quality is poor and/or you have only 5 because you often play in the wrong partscore.

I keep getting this comment a lot and i think that we must be doing something wrong since we are constantly getting good result with our 2C opening ;)

Since this is not true for any of the rest of us who have played precision with 2=5+ before, I think you are simply going to have to accept that people don't believe you on this point. :) Not that you are lying, but that your memory is selective or that you have simply been extremely fortunate.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#22 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-December-12, 18:02

My good results with 2C openers frequently come when partner raises to 3C (strictly competitive). Partner has been known to raise to 3C on Qx. That's aggressive opposite 6+, but foolhardy opposite 5+.

I take what I can get out of 2D openers (applying a strong Bid What You Think You Can Make approach to responses), accepting them as a rare loss leader, knowing that I lose on the 2D opening (which means that there are the odd HHxxxx 10-count 1D, and HHxxxx, <10count 3D openings) but that it's better than the lossage those hands into 1D or 2C are going to get me. I get burned sometimes. And yes, I had the dreaded 2D-2H; 2S-p auction once. It sucked as much as you'd expect it to. Still played a trick better than the 3-3.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#23 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-December-13, 01:12

In reading about the Romex Forcing Club (in Godfrey's Stairway to the Stars by Rosenkranz and Alder) I wondered what one should do in a GCC context. See, the 2 opening in this system (which is otherwise much like Precision - and btw 2 shows 6 or more) is strong and artificial. So what the system does with the "Precision 2 hands is open 2. Problem with this (in North America) is that it's Mid-Chart. What if you can't play Mid-Chart? Give up the Mexican 2D? This messes up a bunch of things, like the opener's NT ladder, and handling GF minor suit oriented hands. So I didn't think much of it. Give up the "Precision 2"? Granted it doesn't come up very often, but when it does, what do you do? I dunno, but I gather some here, at least, wouldn't have much problem with giving it (the Precision, not the Mexican) up. Is that an accurate assessment? I dunno how any would feel about giving up the Mexican.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#24 User is offline   Vilgan 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Hiking, MTG, Go, Pacific NW.

Posted 2008-December-13, 14:42

jdonn, on Dec 12 2008, 02:41 PM, said:

benlessard, on Dec 12 2008, 08:56 AM, said:

Having the 2♣ opener promise 6 is very useful. A lot of bad scores from opening 2♣ come when the suit quality is poor and/or you have only 5 because you often play in the wrong partscore.

I keep getting this comment a lot and i think that we must be doing something wrong since we are constantly getting good result with our 2C opening :rolleyes:

Since this is not true for any of the rest of us who have played precision with 2=5+ before, I think you are simply going to have to accept that people don't believe you on this point. ;) Not that you are lying, but that your memory is selective or that you have simply been extremely fortunate.

will you open up 2 with 5 if your points are concentrated in clubs?

I do occasionally if my other choices suck more, but curious if this is me lacking discipline or a "god I hate life" choice that we all make occasionally.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users