Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

More WJ05 1C-1D-3D

#1 User is offline   TimG 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2008-December-29, 11:17

1C-1D-3D seems a rather awkward sequence for WJ05 (showing 18+ to less than a game force). I wonder if there have been some modifications to relieve pressure here. A couple of options come to mind:
  • Widening the range of the 1D opening bid.
  • Using a 2D opening to show GF hands (thus 1C-1D-2D is no longer artificial).
I wonder if anyone has experience with either of these modifications, or has other suggestions. Or, maybe you can tell me that while this appears to be a problem, in practice it seldom matters.

#2 User is offline   david_c 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mathematics;<br>20th century classical music;<br>Composing.

Posted 2008-December-29, 12:21

We play a wide-ranging 1 opening (open 1 unless game-forcing), and I would highly recommend it.

#3 User is offline   Tola18 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Cats.

Posted 2008-December-29, 14:01

Jassem mentions/recommends (perhaps only in his polish booklet), in borderline cases do open with 1D. Especielly if you have something remembering a twosuiter.

1. If opps preempts, it can be difficult to show both suits (btw, we have similiar problem in strong-club systems too!).

2. The Odwrotka positive relay 2D after the answer 1M may make it extra difficult to show it was diamonds you really did had...

Partner must of course know the 1D MAY be somewhat stronger then promised. Otherwise you will now and then miss optimal contracts and get angry partners...

About a GF-opening.
2D GF takes away much of the soul of WJ... The twosuiters will probably disappear...

But. There is the first, very old version of WJ, where 2C was "Acol", ie your friend GF opening.... Thus 1C could contain weak nt, short diamond Marmic, clubs, 18-21 pointers...
This worked actually quite well.

(There may also be some other polish system of similiar structure, NS?? I dont know very little about this, but something says me it could be similiar although also easier).
Cats bring joy and a feeling of harmony and well-being into a home.
Many homeless cats seek a home.
Adopt one. Contact a cat shelter!
You too can be an everyday hero. :)

#4 User is offline   TimG 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-December-29, 15:01

Tola18, on Dec 29 2008, 03:01 PM, said:

About a GF-opening.
2D GF takes away much of the soul of WJ... The twosuiters will probably disappear...

ACBL's GCC already takes away the weak two-suited openings. I know: not a factor for everyone, but sadly it does apply to me.

#5 User is offline   wclass___ 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2008-December-30, 04:33

I advise playing:

1 - 5+ 11-GF
1 - 11/15 or 11/16
2 - 11/15 6+ or 5 4(no 4/)

Comments: Hate precision 2 opening in WJ. + Examined reasons (in WJ05 book)not to play 1 showing 5 are ridiculous. And it is not that useful for 1 to be limited say 11/17 as 1 or 1. 1 as 11/17 a bit too wide for my preferred system over 1.

It is also possible to play 1 2 in FN style...
Seeking input from anyone who doesn't frequently "wtp", "Lol" or post to merely "Agree with ..." --sathyab

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users