• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2019-March-27, 06:19

View PostCyberyeti, on 2019-March-27, 05:54, said:

Roger Charlery AKA Ranking Roger, co-frontman of The Beat (The English Beat in the US). A voice of my teenage years, along with bands like the Specials and the Selecter on the 2 tone label, they brought a big ska revival 1978-85 ish.

https://www.youtube....h?v=BR4HiPHRbrs

I saw them live a couple times. First time was in London in 83 or so...

Great band
Alderaan delenda est

#662 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2019-March-29, 13:53

Alphonse "Little Al" D'Arco

First member of his generation of Italian cosa nostra to flip and go into witness protection.
This post sponsored by: All County Building Supply & Maintenance, Felo, NY.
Without truth it is impossible to speak truth to power, so there is only power.

#663 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-March-29, 18:06

Agnès Varda, beloved French New Wave director
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#664 User is online   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2019-April-07, 19:05

Kitty Tucker

My classmate in both high school and university, and a wonderful friend, Kitty made her mark in the world. This has been a sad week for me.
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#665 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-April-28, 18:16

Richard Lugar

Mr. Lugar, who had two stints as chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, had an impact on a wide range of foreign issues, but his most notable accomplishment was indisputably as the co-creator of a program to help destroy surplus stocks of nuclear weapons around the world.

The project was emblematic of his approach to legislating: It represented an ability to take a long view about complex issues, ran counter to the inclinations of many of his fellow Republicans and was built on a foundation of bipartisan cooperation. It was presented jointly with Senator Sam Nunn, a Georgia Democrat who was chairman of the Armed Services Committee.

The Nunn-Lugar Cooperative Threat Reduction Program was based on the novel concept of providing American funds to destroy obsolete nuclear missiles and materials elsewhere in the world. At the time, the countries of the former Soviet Union said they could not afford the costs of the destruction and were not even providing sufficient resources to properly guard the weapons’ storage areas.

The idea was first proposed during the term of President George H. W. Bush, who opposed it, along with many others. It took almost a decade, but Mr. Lugar succeeded in persuading Congress, and especially skeptical fellow Republicans, of the need for such a program.

He was also Congress’s leading voice on treaties to ban or limit nuclear weapons, and his judgment on any such proposals was often crucial to whether one could be enacted.

If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#666 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2019-April-29, 10:04

I'm surprised Trump hasn't tried to repeal it -- it sounds like the kind of program he really hates, since it's not "America First".

Maybe he just didn't know about it, but now Lugar's death might raise his awareness of it.

#667 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-May-13, 08:57

I have to note the passing of Doris Day
https://www.washingt...m=.3b9e12386556
The article notes that Sentimental Journey was recorded in 1945. It's a song I remember from early childhood along with Sioux City Sue (Gene Autry, 1945) and Cow Cow Boogie (Ella Mae Morse, 1942!) . Becky and I disagree over Ms. Day, Becky really can't stand five minutes of her on film, I think you have to sit back, take it for what it is and enjoy it. The article also repeats the much quoted quip of uncertain origin "I knew Doris Day before she was a virgin". Pillow Talk was a very dumb movie. I enjoyed it. There, I have confessed.

Ken

#668 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2019-May-13, 09:10

I'm not as old as Ken, I mainly remember her from her TV Show in the late 60's, which used her hit "Que Sera, Sera" as the theme song.

This is one of those "I had no idea she was still alive" death reports.

#669 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2019-May-14, 14:05

Tim Conway

Arguably the funniest member of the ensemble on The Carol Burnett Show, which is saying quite a bit.

#670 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2019-May-21, 06:47

Niki Lauda:https://en.m.wikiped...wiki/Niki_Lauda

Share this topic:

• 34 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users