Regards, Jo Anne
Practice Goodwill and Active Ethics
Director "Please"!

#3 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2008-November-07, 11:35

It means that members of affiliated clubs will pay part of the table money to EBU.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#4 User is offline   NickRW 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-November-07, 12:31

helene_t, on Nov 7 2008, 05:35 PM, said:

It means that members of affiliated clubs will pay part of the table money to EBU.

Well, not quite. Affiliated clubs already pay part of their table money to the EBU (assuming they issue masterpoints for the session concerned anyway). P2P will entail clubs paying what will almost certainly be a higher amount to the EBU - but the players will automatically be EBU members as a result (instead of paying a separate annual subscription). Not all players currenly elect to be EBU members at the moment (about 50% at my local club) - but membership will effectively become compulsory unless you find disaffiliated clubs to play at.

Nick
"Pass is your friend" - my brother in law - who likes to bid a lot.

#5 User is offline   NickRW 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-November-07, 12:34

sceptic, on Nov 7 2008, 06:22 AM, said:

How is the EBU's p2p progressing?

Heard nothing about it since they voted for it - assume they are continuing with this ill advised ill thought out misadventure. :D

Nick

#6 User is offline   david_c 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mathematics;<br>20th century classical music;<br>Composing.

Posted 2008-November-07, 13:12

The EBU's view is that the debate is now over and P2P is definitely going ahead.

There are now various committees (I can count at least four) involved in working out all the detail. They haven't yet told us much about what they've come up with, but I suppose most of it would be pretty boring anyway. Contracts, computer software, that sort of thing ...

One important step is the calculation of how much the P2P fee will be. I believe that this is due to be announced in the summer of 2009.

#7 User is offline   shintaro 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2008-November-09, 12:24

:lol:

Alledgedly the cost P2P is to be 29p per game Thus someone playing only once per week for say 48 weeks will pay 13.92. Twice a week 27.94.

Now if you consider they pay 17.50 to be a member of EBU per year then on paper they will gain if they only pay the once.

However If you take a club with only 50% membership then EBU will gain 27.94 per Table multiply by say 12 tables It is horendous;

As Nick says Club will/are disaffiliating

:blink:

#8 User is offline   JoAnneM 

• LOR
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-November-09, 13:51

Is that per person per table? How does that compare with ACBL's club game fee $1.25 plus $.40 per table? I'm not good at currency exchanges
Regards, Jo Anne
Director "Please"!

#9 User is offline   NickRW 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-November-09, 18:35

Well, as of next month, (P2P won't come in for a few years), a book of masterpoint certs will cost £20 (up from £19) - there are 50 certs in a book - so they will be 40p each for the club to buy. A club has to issue certs to the top third or so of the players - exactly how many pairs depends get them and how many masterpoints they are worth depend on the number of tables. But if your club typically has between 8 and 11 tables like ours does, we have to issue either 12 or 16 of them - so the current cost will become (next month) either £4.80 or £6.40.

At an exchange rate of around 1.6 (something like ball park at the moment I think) that is about $7.68 or $10.24.

If you're saying ACBL charges $1.25 per session + $0.40 per table, then 8 tables is $4.45 and 11 tables would be $5.65. So, that being the case, the EBU is already charging near double compared to ACBL.

When P2P comes in it will be a per head fee which isn't set in stone yet, but is supposed to be £0.29 per player (I don't think this estimate had any inflation built in - so it could easily go up). Based on this estimate an 8 table session will be £9.28 and 11 tables will be £12.76 (about $14.85 and $20.42 respectively).

These figures are, of course, paid by the club - but the club has to collect it from you via the table money.

Set against that you won't have to pay any money to become a member of the EBU (if you ever were!) In the county I come from joining the EBU & county (it is next to impossible to just join the county) is £20 per year.

As other posters have pointed out, if you play once a week most weeks, and you are a current EBU member, then you will save money. If you play twice a week and are an EBU member, things are more balanced. If you play a lot, you'll be out of pocket (some people I know are playing at least 4 times a week at one club or another). If you are not a member (and probably at least half of English bridge players are not), then you will pay more - quite a lot more. If you are not a member and are either of limited means or do not see what the EBU does for the grass roots, your nose is well out joint.

Nick

#10 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-November-09, 20:17

JoAnneM, on Nov 9 2008, 03:51 PM, said:

Is that per person per table? How does that compare with ACBL's club game fee $1.25 plus $.40 per table? I'm not good at currency exchanges

I think your figures are a bit out of date, Joanne. Last report I did, the fee was $1.25 per session and $0.74 per table. Plus, of course, the $36 (I think) annual ACBL membership fee charged to individuals.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#11 User is offline   JoAnneM 

• LOR
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-November-09, 23:12

blackshoe, on Nov 10 2008, 02:17 AM, said:

JoAnneM, on Nov 9 2008, 03:51 PM, said:

Is that per person per table?  How does that compare with ACBL's club game fee $1.25 plus $.40 per table?  I'm not good at currency exchanges

I think your figures are a bit out of date, Joanne. Last report I did, the fee was $1.25 per session and $0.74 per table. Plus, of course, the $36 (I think) annual ACBL membership fee charged to individuals.

You are so right, I looked up the fees in the Handbook and chose the fee for the short game of 12-17 boards.

And I am so glad you caught that because I just prepared a spreadsheet to present to our Unit BOD tomorrow. We are going to have to assume control of one of our clubs due to illness, and no one has a handle on the finances.

Non-Life Masters are $35
Life-Masters are $32

Both are cheaper if you extend for three years.

Thanks!
Regards, Jo Anne
Director "Please"!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users