BBO Discussion Forums: with weak NT system, opener's rebids - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

with weak NT system, opener's rebids after opening a minor

#1 User is offline   DJNeill 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:current events, long-distance cycling

Posted 2004-April-11, 12:21

Hi all,
If you play a 12-14 NT 5-card major natural system, you open a minor with 15-17 balanced. Say you have no special opening (Mexican, or using a specific minor as default) for 18-19 balanced, so that must be tucked in with the natural minor opening.

In answering these questions, you may play any treatment you want, and add comments about MP/IMP or vul, if necessary.

As South, on the auction:
South West North East
1C 1D 1S 2D
?

what would you rebid on these hands?

(S-H-D-C order)

a) Axx Kxxx x KJTxx

b) AQx KQx xxx AQxx

c) Axxx Qxx xx AKQx

d) Kxx Jxx AKJ Axxx

e) Qx Axx KQxx AJxx

f) x AQJ xxx KQJxxx

g) Axx KQJ KJx ATxx

h) Ax KQJx KJx ATxx

i) x QJxx AKx KQJxx

j) x AQx Kx AQJxxxx

k) x AKQ Kx AQJxxx

l) xxx Axxx KQx AQx

Thanks,
Dan

#2 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2004-April-11, 15:15

weak NT doesn't work very well with 5 card Majors...
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#3 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2004-April-11, 17:35

[quote name='DJNeill' date='Apr 11 2004, 03:21 PM'] Hi all,
If you play a 12-14 NT 5-card major natural system, you open a minor with 15-17 balanced. Say you have no special opening (Mexican, or using a specific minor as default) for 18-19 balanced, so that must be tucked in with the natural minor opening.

In answering these questions, you may play any treatment you want, and add comments about MP/IMP or vul, if necessary.

South West North East
1C 1D 1S 2D
?

what would you rebid on these hands?

Thanks,
Dan [/quote]
I do not play weak NT with five-card majors however I rebid as follows:

[quote]a) Axx  Kxxx  x  KJTxx
[/quote]

I make a takeout double with this hand suggesting hearts and spade tolerance. I could be a big balanced hand without a diamond stopper.

[quote];) AQx  KQx  xxx  AQxx[/quote]

Double see above comment.

[quote]c) Axxx  Qxx  xx  AKQx[/quote]

2[sp] with such a pure hand - nothing wasted in the opponent's suit I would object to an upgrade to 3[sp].

[quote]d) Kxx  Jxx  AKJ  Axxx[/quote]

Pass If partner cannot bid again I do not mind defending part-scores with strong balanced hands

[quote]e) Qx  Axx  KQxx  AJxx[/quote]

Pass even happier to defend if partner cannot bid again.

[quote]f) x  AQJ  xxx  KQJxxx[/quote]

2NT Lebensohl showing weakish hand with six clubs

[quote]g) Axx  KQJ  KJx  ATxx[/quote]

Double then bid 3NT if partner does not show five spades by rebidding them or bidding some number of hearts. If partner does show spades I will show some support.

[quote]h) Ax  KQJx  KJx  ATxx[/quote]

Double and then bid 3NT if partner does not show hearts.

[quote]i) x  QJxx  AKx  KQJxx[/quote]

2[he] double would show some spade tolerance. I would make this bid with a slightly weaker hand too.

[quote]j) x  AQx  Kx  AQJxxxx[/quote]

3[cl] showing an invitational hand 16-18 or so with six clubs. The seventh club is a bonus but not quite good enough for stronger action IMO.

[quote]k) x  AKQ  Kx  AQJxxx[/quote]

hmm only 12 cards.

Double then 3[cl] or 3NT depending on the auction.

l) xxx Axxx KQx AQx

I don't have this problem.

I would be happy to pass with so much wasted in their suit. If partner bids again I am well placed to take further action.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#4 User is offline   luke warm 

• Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2004-April-11, 18:13

i disagree with free's and cascade's comments about weak nt and 5 card majors... it seems to work quite well... anyway, that's just a matter of philosophy, i think...

South West North East
1C 1D 1S 2D
?

a) Axx Kxxx x KJTxx

first of all, i play that a neg dbl by pard shows both majors, so while his 1 bid can be made on a 4 card suit, i'd know he didn't have 4 hearts... with this hand i'd bid 2... if west passes, we have ways to show strength/support with responder using asking bids

;) AQx KQx xxx AQxx

2nt, asking partner to bid 3... my plan is to bid 3...

c) Axxx Qxx xx AKQx

d) Kxx Jxx AKJ Axxx

3nt

e) Qx Axx KQxx AJxx

3nt

f) x AQJ xxx KQJxxx

g) Axx KQJ KJx ATxx

double then 3nt over 3... if pard bids 3 i'd go to 4

h) Ax KQJx KJx ATxx

double then 3nt over anything

i) x QJxx AKx KQJxx

2 then probably 3nt

j) x AQx Kx AQJxxxx

k) x AKQ Kx AQJxxx

l) xxx Axxx KQx AQx

double then 2nt over 2 if possible
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#5 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2004-April-12, 03:12

I agree with Lukewarm and Cascade re. marrying 5 card majors in a weak NT.
But I go further and open 1NT with 5M332 and 12-14. Not the most popular of treatments and it doesn't always work (no method does). But it takes the pressure off the forcing NT continuations and for all the theoretical weaknesses it does not seem to cost. I usually play in IMP events, mind.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#6 User is offline   mishovnbg 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge - new bidding systems, psyches; Computers - education, service, program; Computer games great fan :-)

Posted 2004-April-12, 04:59

1eyedjack, on Apr 12 2004, 11:12 AM, said:

I agree with Lukewarm and Cascade re. marrying 5 card majors in a weak NT.
But I go further and open 1NT with 5M332 and 12-14. Not the most popular of treatments and it doesn't always work (no method does). But it takes the pressure off the forcing NT continuations and for all the theoretical weaknesses it does not seem to cost. I usually play in IMP events, mind.

I agree too. When I play with Boian(PPilot) weak NT with very wide range (11)12-14(15) we include with success 5 majors there. This allow to use 1NT response as relay and special way of transfering or not suits, depend of hand. You can see this way posted here:
http://bridgebase.lunarpages.com/~bridge2/...indpost&p=15461

Spoiler
Misho
MishoVnBg

#7 User is offline   pbleighton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-April-12, 05:45

I disagree with those who think 5cM and weak NT are a bad combination. The weakness of 5cM is the badly defined 1m bids, and the weak NT minimizes them, and transforms what would otherwise be the worst bids in the system (highly susceptible to interference as opps can have juice, can be difficult/dangerous to rebid after interference) and turns them into an offensive weapon.

It's true that opening strong balanced hands 1m can create rebid problems, too, which I think is the point of Dan's excellent post, but the 1m/balanced hands (not including 18-19) are only half as frequent as with strong NT, and they are a little less likely to be interfered with, due to the opps having less juice on average.

I agree with those who open 5M332 1NT.

Peter

#8 User is offline   CharlieS 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2004-April-13, 14:57

Five card majors and a weak NT are incompatable? Gee, tell that to Edgar Kaplin and Alfred Sheinwold, who developed and played a similar system in the late 1950's and early 1960's. What IS incompatable is four card majors and a strong nt. Try playing acol under these conditions!
I pledge allegiance to the Constitution of the United States
of America, and to the republic which it creates, one nation,
the people sovereign, seeking liberty and justice for all.

#9 User is offline   csdenmark 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-April-13, 15:49

CharlieS, on Apr 13 2004, 10:57 PM, said:

Five card majors and a weak NT are incompatable?  Gee, tell that to Edgar Kaplin and Alfred Sheinwold, who developed and played a similar system in the late 1950's and early 1960's.  What IS incompatable is four card majors and a strong nt.  Try playing acol under these conditions!

Right Charlie - KS also looks very good to me. As a proponent of strong club systems I often wonder why it is so simple to handle KS. Looks like you with the strong openings and narrow bid limits have something like you are a step ahead of the 1 opening in fx. Precision.

I normally dont pay much attention to the quick trick openings - which might be lighter openings. Maybe the secrecy of the system is the players - seems much disciplined when playing KS.

#10 User is offline   EricK 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-April-13, 15:55

CharlieS, on Apr 13 2004, 08:57 PM, said:

Five card majors and a weak NT are incompatable? Gee, tell that to Edgar Kaplin and Alfred Sheinwold, who developed and played a similar system in the late 1950's and early 1960's. What IS incompatable is four card majors and a strong nt. Try playing acol under these conditions!

Don't the Hacketts play 4 card majors and a strong(ish) NT (14-16)?

They do alright.

Eric

#11 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2004-April-13, 20:53

Sort of. They only open 4 card Ms with weak hands, (10-13), and these can be canape.
However 5 card Ms, weak NT works well. Agree with the monocled one that 5332 with 5M in 12-14 range should also be opened 1N.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#12 User is offline   EricK 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-April-13, 22:50

The_Hog, on Apr 14 2004, 02:53 AM, said:

Sort of. They only open 4 card Ms with weak hands, (10-13), and these can be canape.
However 5 card Ms, weak NT works well. Agree with the monocled one that 5332 with 5M in 12-14 range should also be opened 1N.

Thanks for clarifying that.

Even so, as long as your 2/1 bids are kept fairly strong (eg 11+) so 2NT rebid can show 12-13, I don't see too much problem with playing true 4 card majors (non-canape) and a 14-16 NT. Certainly not enough to call them incompatible.

Eric

#13 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2004-April-14, 00:17

EricK, on Apr 14 2004, 03:50 PM, said:

The_Hog, on Apr 14 2004, 02:53 AM, said:

Thanks for clarifying that.

Even so, as long as your 2/1 bids are kept fairly strong (eg 11+) so 2NT rebid can show 12-13, I don't see too much problem with playing true 4 card majors (non-canape) and a 14-16 NT. Certainly not enough to call them incompatible.

Eric

I should have added the Hacketts play a semi forcing NT to 1M - up to about
11(-12). Their 2/1 is GF with one exception - 2C over 1M which can also be a 9-11 3 card raise.

Also because of the style they play 1C 1? 1S shows a good hand, else would have opened 1S.

Cheers
Ron
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#14 User is offline   badderzboy 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-April-14, 01:30

When playing ACOL with 4 Card majors, by bidding up the line with 4-4 then over 90% of the time you do have a 5 Card major or a balanced hand with a NT rebid.

As a rule of thumb I compete pre-emptively as though partner has 5 anyway as per Robson/Seagal.

Steve

#15 User is offline   Trpltrbl 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sailing, cooking, bonsaitrees.

Posted 2004-April-14, 12:37

I play 10-12 NT and 12-14 NT, depending on seat and Vul. And I open this with any 5 card major, that's big part of the weak NT. I f you going to play wk NT but you won't open it with a 5 card major why even play it ? And as for the hands you gave, most of them you can handle very well with Support X. And if you can't handle simple hands like that, maybe weak NT not something for you.

Mike B)
“If there is dissatisfaction with the status quo, good. If there is ferment,
so much the better. If there is restlessness, I am pleased. Then let there
be ideas, and hard thought, and hard work.”

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users