BBO Discussion Forums: Yet another rebid by opener problem... - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Yet another rebid by opener problem...

Poll: What's your second bid? (53 member(s) have cast votes)

What's your second bid?

1. 1NT (35 votes [66.04%])

Percentage of vote: 66.04%

2. 2D (9 votes [16.98%])

Percentage of vote: 16.98%

3. Other (specify) (9 votes [16.98%])

Percentage of vote: 16.98%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2008-August-13, 19:58

Jlall, on Aug 10 2008, 07:47 PM, said:

When I first started playing expert standard was 2C, now it has moved to 1N.

Yeah, well when I started playing we simply opened 1H - what problem? :blink:
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#42 User is offline   shevek 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:whippets<br>anarchy<br>relay

Posted 2008-August-15, 05:59

2, since 1NT = 15-17

#43 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2008-August-15, 12:19

Definitely 1NT for me. This has the nice effect of limiting the hand, and I have pretty good methods over opener's 1NT rebid (as do many people) to handle game force and invitational hands. Not to mention that we find 2 when partner is weak.

One problem no one has mentioned is responder hands like:

Axxx
xx
xx
Kxxxx

This hand is a pretty easy pass (or maybe club signoff) after 1-1-1NT, and a pretty easy pass after 1-1-2. But I think this hand is worth an invite over a 2 rebid by opener, because opener could have 5-5 in the minors (in which case it really doesn't take much to make 5 on the ten card fit) or opener could have as much as 17-18 high (in which case 3NT probably cold).

Opposite the actual opener hand, after 1-1-2-3 you are getting a bit high, and while this partial is okay several people indicated that they are accepting the invite (obviously a good move opposite 11 hcp with 4, maybe not such a great move opposite this hand though).

My point is that I don't really think it's a wash on invitational hands. I suspect that rebidding 2 is a loser on invitational hands (because partner will misjudge the value of a prime hand with club length), and it may also be a loser on game forcing hands (how will you persuade partner that 6 on the suppoesd 4-4 fit is a poor contract). On hands where the best contract is a partscore, rebidding 2 is better than 2 most of the time but rebidding 1NT seems superior to both.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#44 User is offline   sathyab 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2008-August-18, 14:25

awm, on Aug 15 2008, 01:19 PM, said:

Definitely 1NT for me. This has the nice effect of limiting the hand, and I have pretty good methods over opener's 1NT rebid (as do many people) to handle game force and invitational hands. Not to mention that we find 2 when partner is weak.

Int makes it easier to handle sign-offs in other suits, but what about sign-offs in spades ? A hand like KQTxx Qxx xx xxx, over 1-1-1nt is an easy 2 bid if partner doesn't rebid 1nt with a stiff spade. Do you have methods to handle this hand knowing that partner can easily have a stiff spade or is that the trade-off you're willing to make ?
Seeking input from anyone who doesn't frequently "wtp", "Lol" or post to merely "Agree with ..."

#45 Guest_Jlall_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 2008-August-18, 14:37

sathyab, on Aug 18 2008, 03:25 PM, said:

awm, on Aug 15 2008, 01:19 PM, said:

Int makes it easier to handle sign-offs in other suits, but what about sign-offs in spades ? A hand like KQTxx Qxx xx xxx, over 1-1-1nt is an easy 2 bid if partner doesn't rebid 1nt with a stiff spade. Do you have methods to handle this hand knowing that partner can easily have a stiff spade or is that the trade-off you're willing to make ?

BTW a common misconception is that you cannot rebid 2S with 5 if your partnership can rebid 1N with a stiff... I would definitely rebid 2S with your example hand and it's not close. You have a good hand for a 5-1 even (just score 4 trump tricks), and you have a bad hand for 1N (non runnable spades, likely no entry).

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users