Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

defense

#1 User is offline   Apollo81 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2008-August-07, 22:42

First time partnership. Partner is world class.

MPs. All white.

T986
J85432

(2)-X-(4)-all pass

partner leads A
(youre playing A from AK and UDCA)

dummy is:

AK6
AKT754

Your play.

Part 2:
Spoiler

#2 User is offline   MFA 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-August-08, 01:12

I want a club ruff.
I would play T, discouraging. I'm used to the logic that one discourages to get partner to shift, and not that the situation suddenly becomes a suit preference situation, when we normally show attitude T1.

If partner continues with the king, I will then play my lowest spade on the second round.

Btw, with my regular partner, we play something very cunning (we think :)). High even spade would discourage spades and point to clubs - high odd spade would discourage spades and point to diamonds. Given we have adequate length in spades.
This tends to give us a good chance in a lot of situations.
Michael Askgaard

#3 User is offline   brianshark 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Artificial Intelligence, Computer Games, Satire, Football, Rugby... and Bridge I suppose.

Posted 2008-August-08, 03:09

T then 6.
The difference between theory and practice is that in theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is.

#4 Guest_Jlall_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 2008-August-08, 16:44

Ten discouraging then 6 suit pref with my regular pard.

#5 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-August-10, 08:49

Assume you played ST then S6 for reasons posted above.

So what did pard lead to trick 3?

Nice playing by the way.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#6 User is offline   dake50 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-August-10, 09:43

Which sequence says 'I want C-ruff? which says 'kill S-ruff in dummy? verses 'I overruff dummy'? Which says 'nothing to say -partner, make your best guess'?

Off the top of my head, these cases exist. Which others? Then what signals for chosen cases? Which cases left to by guess, by golly?

An analysis of payoffs for 'got this case right' verses 'not these cases' sacrificed. That is frequency with score payoff/ traded.

Or just a 'gut feel' in choosing signals on this hand (these problems)?

#7 User is offline   jonottawa 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-August-10, 11:18

Is partner not supposed to switch when I discourage? I'd play a more neutral 8 (for fear that partner will switch as asked and then they'll make 6 for a screamer) and then the 6 for reasons already offered.

At IMPs the ten is right.

'So I was defending this hand with one of those 'World Class' guys on BBO and I held T986 / A5 / J85432 / 6. He led the Ace of Spades and I SCREAMED for a switch (looking at the 6 Clubs on the board with lots of tickets he'd have to figure out what I might be looking for) but he forgot that to give me a ruff he might need an entry later in the hand. So he cashed the King of Spades and the hand was over.'
"Maybe we should all get together and buy Kaitlyn a box set of "All in the Family" for Chanukah. Archie didn't think he was a racist, the problem was with all the chinks, dagos, niggers, kikes, etc. ruining the country." ~ barmar

#8 User is offline   brianshark 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Artificial Intelligence, Computer Games, Satire, Football, Rugby... and Bridge I suppose.

Posted 2008-August-11, 02:33

I imagine partner will cash another when looking at a stop and switch immediately when hoping you have the stop.
The difference between theory and practice is that in theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is.

#9 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2008-August-12, 02:49

Partner would lead K with AKQ of S. So Declarer has the Q of S. I think Qxx and AKQxxx of H is a bit heavy for a non-vul 2H preempt. So im going to play partner for a H trick.

So Im asking for a switch and even if partner dont cash his S king im not afraid that hes going to lose it.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users