BBO Discussion Forums: Play 6S - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Play 6S

#1 User is offline   brianshark 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Artificial Intelligence, Computer Games, Satire, Football, Rugby... and Bridge I suppose.

Posted 2008-August-08, 07:06

Scoring: MP

This is the first board of a 2-session Pairs competition.

Auction:
P - 1 - 2 - 3
3 - 4 - P - 4
P - 5 - P - 6
P - P - P

Lead: A

The difference between theory and practice is that in theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is.

#2 User is offline   Echognome 

• Deipnosophist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2008-August-08, 12:56

Not quite sure what I'm missing. Can't I just play:

1. ruff
2. A
3. K (seeing if they are 4-1 onside), if so:

4a. Draw trumps, run clubs, take 12 tricks (if spades are 4-1 and clubs are 4-0, then I'm off).

4b. Draw trumps, play clubs and take the free diamond finesse.
"Half the people you know are below average." - Steven Wright

#3 User is offline   rogerclee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-August-08, 17:20

If RHO drops the 9 on the A, I am taking the spade finesse.

#4 User is offline   ceeb 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-August-09, 14:06

rogerclee, on Aug 8 2008, 06:20 PM, said:

If RHO drops the 9 on the A, I am taking the spade finesse.

Gaining if it's a singleton and the clubs break; losing against J9(x).

A, K succeeds against 4-1 onside; A, Q against either 4-1 if the finesse works. Seems like a tossup.

#5 User is offline   jonottawa 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-August-09, 14:52

I don't think it's a toss-up at all. Bidding 3 with a stiff Spade is very unlikely/unusual, albeit not impossible.

After testing Spades, if they're 3-2 you ruff a Diamond and make 7 (assuming 3-1 Clubs.) It is pairs, after all.
"Maybe we should all get together and buy Kaitlyn a box set of "All in the Family" for Chanukah. Archie didn't think he was a racist, the problem was with all the chinks, dagos, niggers, kikes, etc. ruining the country." ~ barmar

#6 User is offline   ceeb 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-August-09, 17:25

You're right -- it's certainly not a tossup. I forgot that there was bidding. RHO can hardly have both a singleton spade and the diamond king, so A,Q makes no sense.

#7 User is offline   brianshark 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Artificial Intelligence, Computer Games, Satire, Football, Rugby... and Bridge I suppose.

Posted 2008-August-12, 02:24

LHO held J9xx AKJxxx xx x

If you Cash the A and K of s, RHO then shows out. If you then attack s, LHO will ruff in on the 3rd round killing the entry to the s.

I think the only way to make is to cash the AQ of s. If the s break the you can draw the last trump, cash s and take a finesse for the 13th. On this deal, when they don't break and you need to attack s and when LHO ruffs on the 3rd round, and exits a or whatever, you can draw trump and have to take the hook for the 12th trick.
The difference between theory and practice is that in theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is.

#8 User is offline   Echognome 

• Deipnosophist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-August-12, 10:18

brianshark, on Aug 12 2008, 12:24 AM, said:

LHO held J9xx AKJxxx xx x

If you Cash the A and K of s, RHO then shows out. If you then attack s, LHO will ruff in on the 3rd round killing the entry to the s.

I think the only way to make is to cash the AQ of s. If the s break the you can draw the last trump, cash s and take a finesse for the 13th. On this deal, when they don't break and you need to attack s and when LHO ruffs on the 3rd round, and exits a or whatever, you can draw trump and have to take the hook for the 12th trick.

Not sure why I should divine to guard for LHO having 4 trumps when he is the overcaller. This is especially the case at MPs when if RHO has the 4 trumps, making the extra trick may be crucial.
"Half the people you know are below average." - Steven Wright

#9 User is offline   brianshark 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-August-13, 03:57

Right. There was some discussion between me and a few guys who were trying to figure out the best line to safely make 6S (I don't think we need to play for an overtrick necessarily - it's an iffy slam, the field probably won't be in it, and if they are in slam, 6C is superior but 6S > 6C+1).

Both lines make if trumps are 3-2, but the AK line makes an easy overtrick. The AQ line works for either 4-1 break if the K is onside. The AK line works independent of the K's position but requires the 4-1 break to be onside.

The bidding suggests the AK line to be the better chance. I guess making this slam requires sub-optimal play after all.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users