Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

BBO and Linux BBO under Linux

#1 User is offline   nigulh 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2004-April-03, 14:35

I like BBO, I like Linux. Both of them are free. Both of them have commercial alternatives, which are almost as good. But these two do not support each other. Does BBO plan to deal with this problem?

#2 User is offline   uday 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2004-April-03, 15:10

It isnt much of a problem to us, given the current relative sizes of the userbases.

That said, i just brought a copy of debian up on one of my ratty PCs and as i find time i hope to play w/WINE to see how far i can get.

Libido reports decent success with WineX

#3 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2004-April-17, 14:15

nigulh, on Apr 3 2004, 11:35 PM, said:

I like BBO, I like Linux. Both of them are free. Both of them have commercial alternatives, which are almost as good. But these two do not support each other. Does BBO plan to deal with this problem?

In a happy coincidence, I've just been assigned to work on some inux compatibility projects for my "real world" employer. As a result, I'm going to start spending a fair amount of time playing arround with WINE and the like.

With luck, I'll be able to experiment with the BBO client as well. As this point in time, there are a couple different approaches that I'm going to be experimenting with.

The most promising is a code base called the Serenity Virtual Station, which appeears to be an open source version of VMWare. Long term, I think that running a virtual Windows session under Linux might be the easiest approach.
http://www.osnews.co...hp?news_id=6742

Codeweaver might also offer some option. [Codeweaver is trying to base a business on WINE]

One interesting option would be to pay Codeweavers to provide a compatibility test n the BBO client. This is documented at http://www.codeweavers.com/site/services/e...kick_the_tires/

I'd be willing to contribute some funds towards such a project, however, I suspect that we'd need a fair number of folks agreeing to chip in $100-$200.
Alderaan delenda est

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users