BBO Discussion Forums: switch to - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

switch to

Poll: switch to (17 member(s) have cast votes)

switch to

  1. sx (4 votes [23.53%])

    Percentage of vote: 23.53%

  2. s9 (6 votes [35.29%])

    Percentage of vote: 35.29%

  3. dJ (0 votes [0.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 0.00%

  4. dx (5 votes [29.41%])

    Percentage of vote: 29.41%

  5. cx (2 votes [11.76%])

    Percentage of vote: 11.76%

  6. heart (monkey option) (0 votes [0.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Apollo81 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,162
  • Joined: 2006-July-10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Maryland

Posted 2008-June-11, 10:24

942
KQT96
J85
64

unfavorable, MPs

p-(p)-1*-(p)
1-(p)-p-(1N)
all pass

*Precision

you lead K (power), dummy is

KT7
83
9764
KJ85

Partner plays 2 denying an honor and showing odd count, declarer 4. What's your next play?
0

#2 User is offline   pclayton 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 9,151
  • Joined: 2003-June-11
  • Location:Southern California

Posted 2008-June-11, 10:33

Since RHO didn't dive in directly over 1, he should have some length.

Declarer appears to be ?34? or ?33?. Pard is ?33? or ?32?. If I had to guess, pard has a 4324 or a 3325.

A diamond is out. We'll lose a tempo and we have nothing to set up.

A spade might trap pard's AJ-small. A club looks totally safe and could lead to some profitable continuations.
"Phil" on BBO
0

#3 User is offline   jtfanclub 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,937
  • Joined: 2004-June-05

Posted 2008-June-11, 10:41

pclayton, on Jun 11 2008, 11:33 AM, said:

A spade might trap pard's AJ-small. A club looks totally safe and could lead to some profitable continuations.

I disagree that a club is safe. If declarer has to play clubs himself, he can probably only get three tricks out of them.

I lead a spade. That's dummy's side entry, and declarer had two chances to show a 4 card spade suit and didn't take either of them. I'd say the odds that partner has 4 spades is pretty good, and if we want to take a length trick in spades we've got to lead them now.
0

#4 User is offline   pclayton 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 9,151
  • Joined: 2003-June-11
  • Location:Southern California

Posted 2008-June-11, 11:51

jtfanclub, on Jun 11 2008, 08:41 AM, said:

pclayton, on Jun 11 2008, 11:33 AM, said:

A spade might trap pard's AJ-small. A club looks totally safe and could lead to some profitable continuations.

I disagree that a club is safe. If declarer has to play clubs himself, he can probably only get three tricks out of them.

I lead a spade. That's dummy's side entry, and declarer had two chances to show a 4 card spade suit and didn't take either of them. I'd say the odds that partner has 4 spades is pretty good, and if we want to take a length trick in spades we've got to lead them now.

What club holding are you concerned about in pard's / declarer's hand that will cost a trick by leading?
"Phil" on BBO
0

#5 User is offline   jtfanclub 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,937
  • Joined: 2004-June-05

Posted 2008-June-11, 13:14

pclayton, on Jun 11 2008, 12:51 PM, said:

What club holding are you concerned about in pard's / declarer's hand that will cost a trick by leading?

ATx with declarer, Q97x in partner's hand, for example.

They only have the entries to get three club tricks. If I lead a low club, partner's likely to insert the queen, and give them four club tricks. If if he doesn't, that's a free finesse for declarer when dummy has so few entries.

AT for declarer and Q97xx also makes life much easier for declarer.
0

#6 User is offline   Apollo81 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,162
  • Joined: 2006-July-10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Maryland

Posted 2008-June-17, 09:22

On this hand the majority in the poll (spade shift) got it right. Partner has AJ7x, (I think), and while a spade might "blow a trick" on honor position, it gains it back from promoting the 4th spade, holding the contract to 7 tricks. All other plays let it make 8 tricks, so it does not really blow a trick at all.

Partner was 4333. I shifted to a diamond.
0

#7 User is offline   pclayton 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 9,151
  • Joined: 2003-June-11
  • Location:Southern California

Posted 2008-June-17, 10:37

Apollo81, on Jun 17 2008, 07:22 AM, said:

On this hand the majority in the poll (spade shift) got it right. Partner has AJ7x, (I think), and while a spade might "blow a trick" on honor position, it gains it back from promoting the 4th spade, holding the contract to 7 tricks. All other plays let it make 8 tricks, so it does not really blow a trick at all.

Partner was 4333. I shifted to a diamond.

Two spade 7's?. No wonder I never get these hands right.
"Phil" on BBO
0

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users