BBO Discussion Forums: BBOFlash Comments Thread - Rlse 5 - BBO Discussion Forums

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

BBOFlash Comments Thread - Rlse 5

#121 User is offline   heyrocky 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:mountains, college basketball, math

Posted 2008-April-19, 15:02

I've been playing consistently with BBOFLASH for the last three weeks. Some random thoughts from someone that just plays tourneys:

1. BBOFLASH would benefit from the BBOWin ability to display the player/partnership limits for tourneys. I haven't found that information anywhere on BBOFLASH.

2. In ACBL tourneys specifically, the Director button has been unavailable, in my experiences. The Director button has been available in other tourneys.

3. An amusing "feature" when playing Money Bridge tourneys occurs when your computer partner is declarer. Six tricks into the hand, the net result is posted in the My Results window, even though the hand has not yet been completed. I find it entertaining, even if it might be a tiny bug.

4. The timing from the end of a tournament to the posting of results in a separate window is sometimes slightly off ("tournament not available" error), requiring a reload. Since, conveniently, such a button is made available in the window, maybe this is a workaround.

These are minor quibbles, which, under normal circumstances, I wouldn't even mention, but I like the interface so much that it deserves to be as good as possible. Again, thanks, Fred, Uday, and everyone else involved with the details of this interface!

- Rich

#122 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2008-April-20, 06:38

After playing one card of trick 8, declarer claimed his grand slam. I got the message: Declarer claims 7 more tricks, 14 total tricks for declarer. I was worried about the score being 7+1 but it was recorded as 7=.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#123 User is offline   suokko 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:*dreaming*

Posted 2008-April-23, 05:16

BBO flash works fine with ubuntu gutsy and nonfree-flash (ie adobe flash player 9,0,124,0).

Features from bbowin to bboflash:
- Mouse over players name to show profile.
- Mouse over board number in top left corner showing the list of kibitzer names.

Movie browser could be improved also:
- Add a button to frame that hides and shows movie areal. This would help people with low resolutions to fast open movie with same size as previus time.
- Double clicking a result in browser should show other tables results
- When new result is added and movie viewer is at bottom it should scroll to new entry.
- Special background color for own entry when watching results from others tables.

Bug:
- When claiming while the last card to the trick is played claim view doesn't update remaining number of tricks.

#124 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-April-24, 16:43

Please forgive me if this has been mentioned already in this or earlier threads. But does/will the flash version save lin files to your local hard disk of hands played and/or kibbed? In the Windows version there are some formats of competition that you cannot review afterward via MyHands. Perhaps it is already somewhere on my disk and I just don't know where. Also I look forward to the GIB D/D analyser when in Kib mode, but I expect that will be in a future release.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#125 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-April-24, 17:15

1eyedjack, on Apr 24 2008, 10:43 PM, said:

Please forgive me if this has been mentioned already in this or earlier threads. But does/will the flash version save lin files to your local hard disk of hands played and/or kibbed? In the Windows version there are some formats of competition that you cannot review afterward via MyHands. Perhaps it is already somewhere on my disk and I just don't know where. Also I look forward to the GIB D/D analyser when in Kib mode, but I expect that will be in a future release.

Sorry - Flash does not allow access to your local hard disk. Probably for now your best option is to use www.bridgebase.com/myhands if you need your own local copies of hands you played.

My main regret about how our first official release is shaping up is that the kind of GIB-integration available in BBOWin will likely not be included. This is also due to technical complications that result from using the Flash platform.

I have no doubt that we will continue to seek methods of overcoming these limitations. I expect we will eventually be successful, but it is hard for me to guess when that might happen.

We are testing a new (and much prettier!) beta now and hope to be able to release it within the next couple of days. Sorry this has taken longer than expected.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#126 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-April-26, 13:57

When I log on and someone chats to me, if his/her name is not preceded by the suffix "(automated)" I can subsequently click his/her name in the chat box to have it in the destination field. But as soon as I have clicked someone whose name takes the suffix, the feature doesn't work anymore since
myfriend (automated)
becomes
ated)
and subsequently all other names will be messed up as well, for example
myfriend: hi Helene how are you?
will give a destination like
end: hi He

It looks as if some index variable that indicates which substring of a chat line should go to the destination field does not get reinitialized at the prober place.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#127 User is online   paulg 

Posted 2008-April-27, 01:50

I was staying at my brother's last week and noticed that he had a similar problem with the BBOflash failing to log in during a busy time (12000 logged on) whereas the BBOwin connection was fine.

There is no commonality in our broadband connections, but we are both using wireless in the home.

p
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#128 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-April-27, 07:20

helene_t, on Apr 26 2008, 07:57 PM, said:

When I log on and someone chats to me, if his/her name is not preceded by the suffix "(automated)" I can subsequently click his/her name in the chat box to have it in the destination field. But as soon as I have clicked someone whose name takes the suffix, the feature doesn't work anymore since
myfriend (automated)
becomes
ated)
and subsequently all other names will be messed up as well, for example
myfriend: hi Helene how are you?
will give a destination like
end: hi He

It looks as if some index variable that indicates which substring of a chat line should go to the destination field does not get reinitialized at the prober place.

You are right that an index variable is getting messed up, but it is an internal Flash variable (as opposed to one that I created) and it is the combination of using carriage-return+linefeed (or opposed to one of the other) that causes this variable to get messed up.

I was impressed by your theory of the cause of this bug so I thought you deserved a proper explanation :)

I figured this out a couple of week ago (after several hours of head-scratching). This fix will appear in the next version.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#129 User is offline   Dwingo 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-April-27, 10:20

I observed Partner's alert for a fraction of a sec. Too short a time to capture a screen shot
Bridge Players do it with Finesse

#130 User is offline   keylime 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: FD TEAM
  • Interests:Motorsports, cricket, disc golf, and of course - bridge. :-)

Posted 2008-April-27, 18:58

Fred,

Here's a situation, and I'm trying to see if anyone has insight on this:

Ubuntu 8.04, new image, new everything, on the reliable NC8430. Able to get to the login prompt, but regardless of whether the "n" site or the "c" site used, it stalls at connecting to the BBO content.

Any ideas?
"Champions aren't made in gyms, champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. " - M. Ali

#131 User is offline   alexfe 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2008-April-29, 01:36

where is training rooms ?

#132 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-April-29, 08:15

keylime, on Apr 28 2008, 12:58 AM, said:

Fred,

Here's a situation, and I'm trying to see if anyone has insight on this:

Ubuntu 8.04, new image, new everything, on the reliable NC8430. Able to get to the login prompt, but regardless of whether the "n" site or the "c" site used, it stalls at connecting to the BBO content.

Any ideas?

Hi Dwayne,

Sorry but I know almost nothing about Linux, but I do recall reading that it is important to have the latest version of Flash player in order to run BBOFlash under Ubuntu. You did say you have "new everything" but please check this.

Gerardo (our resident Linux expert) might have some other ideas...

A new and improved version of BBOFlash is coming soon (probably within 24 hours) so you might want to wait for the new version before spending a lot of time trying to get the old version to work (though it sounds like the problem you are experiencing is not directly related to BBOFlash).

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#133 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-April-29, 08:17

alexfe, on Apr 29 2008, 07:36 AM, said:

where is training rooms ?

There won't be any training rooms in our first official release, but I expect that at least some of BBO's educational facilities (notably Partnership Bidding) will be high on our list of things to do shortly after our first offical release.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#134 User is offline   keylime 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-April-29, 11:13

Fred,

With the new BBOFLASH update, the new Ubuntu 8.04 clone I have is working perfectly now. I see the interface clearly and there is very low delay as well. Well done!
"Champions aren't made in gyms, champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. " - M. Ali

#135 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-April-29, 11:25

It seems that there are occasional problems with claims in BBO Flash.

On several occasions I have clicked the claim button, only to have the claim window fail to come up. This is not too bad in itself, but I cannot play a card or claim at this point (it's as if the claim window was on the screen but it is not). I can still chat however.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#136 User is offline   keylime 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-April-29, 14:44

Fred,

Issue: In BBO Flash with my Linux box, when the player is in BRB mode or invisible mode and at the table, their name does not appear. Once they return to normal mode, their name shows up. Have duplicated on 1 other Linux box.

#137 User is offline   A2003 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-April-29, 17:30

Zoom in function is working. after several zoom in, unable to retreat to the original view.

After the tournament is timed out and finished, the frame freezes at that position and still showing all the remaining unfinished tables.
Need to refresh to go back.

What is PIN?

East West cards are not spaced out to be visible. Spade and Hearts symbols are not fully visible.
There are lot of space between the name(USER ID) and club suit cards.
That space can be used to provide the space required for spade and hearts suit cards.
Or
"user ID box" can be lowered if needed.

Back - Home - Refresh button prefer to be in the bottom, got used to that familiar position.
Mouse is always looking for back button, sometimes in the bottom, sometimes in the top which is confusing.

#138 User is offline   uday 

Posted 2008-April-29, 22:37

Issue: In BBO Flash with my Linux box, when the player is in BRB mode or invisible mode and at the table, their name does not appear. Once they return to normal mode, their name shows up. Have duplicated on 1 other Linux box.

hiya

Do you mean their name does not appear in a table list, or when at a table or something else? How can I replicate this?

u

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users