BBO Discussion Forums: BBOFlash Comments Thread - Rlse 5 - BBO Discussion Forums

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

BBOFlash Comments Thread - Rlse 5

#61 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2008-April-02, 15:08

I have "Show played cards" enabled. Usually this shows the played cards in gray, like BBOWin and the previous BBOFlash. But sometimes it just leaves them in black, with no way to distinguish the played cards from the unplayed.

This afternoon I was kibitzing the Cayne vs Stars team game, and it started out fine. Then I got logged out for inactivity. When I logged back in, I was initially put into "Hide played cards" state, and when I changed this I was in the state where it showed them in black.

Also, I don't think I got any warning that I was going to be logged out if I didn't respond, like the previous BBOFlash did. I guess this isn't really any worse, since the previous version was lying that responding would prevent the logout.

#62 User is offline   firmit 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2008-April-02, 15:31

You should consider a bug-tracking system - that being said:
- When a table is FULL, and I goto the table and get a seat - the HOST-icon is nowhere to be seen. (see previos post)
- My Results: the played cards do not adjust in size - they are way to big
- at one time - I saw my partners alert for a brief second!! This is not good

Added:
Tournament - I made an entry, but partner (uses client) never got the invite. I was later not able to participate in another tournament.
"Never increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain anything." William of Ockham (1285-1349)

#63 User is offline   Dwingo 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-April-03, 00:26

I was kibitzing a Pairs tourney. After the tourney is over, how does the kibitzer view the results of the just completed tourney?

I dont think we have the option of following a player in tourney exists as of now.
Bridge Players do it with Finesse

#64 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2008-April-03, 08:14

Dwingo, on Apr 3 2008, 06:26 AM, said:

I was kibitzing a Pairs tourney. After the tourney is over, how does the kibitzer view the results of the just completed tourney?

I dont think we have the option of following a player in tourney exists as of now.

You are correct that there is currently no way to follow a player in a tourney.

There is a way to look at the tourney results. From "home":

1) Play. Watch. Browse.
2) Browse all tables
3) Tournaments

You will then see a list of all recently completed, currently running, and starting-soon tournaments. Each of the recently completed tournaments in the list has a "results" button associated with it.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#65 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-April-03, 08:32

firmit, on Apr 2 2008, 09:31 PM, said:

You should consider a bug-tracking system - that being said:
- When a table is FULL, and I goto the table and get a seat - the HOST-icon is nowhere to be seen. (see previos post)
- My Results: the played cards do not adjust in size - they are way to big
- at one time - I saw my partners alert for a brief second!! This is not good

Added:
Tournament - I made an entry, but partner (uses client) never got the invite. I was later not able to participate in another tournament.

As of a few weeks ago, we do have a bug-tracking system. It is very useful!

Can you please clarify:

1) What you mean by "played cards are way too big"?

2) Do you have any further details about the sequence of events that took place when you tried to register for a pairs tourneys? In particular, do you remember seeing any notifications like "Invitation issued, please wait", "You have been registered in the tournament", etc? Did you see you and your partner's names appear in the list of registered users?

3) When you say you saw your partner's alert, do you mean you saw the explanation that he typed for one of his own bids? If yes, do you remember if the explanation appeared at the same time as bid itself or "after the fact"?

Thanks for all your help reporting bugs. Sorry to have to bombard you with questions that you may not remember the answers to, but it is hard for me to track these things down and fix them unless I have more details.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#66 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-April-03, 11:04

New versions are now available through the same pages as before.

IMPORTANT: If you have used the previous version, click the Refresh button in your browser the next time you visit the pages you access via the links below.

That should ensure that you pick up the most recent version. If you don't do this your browser's clever caching mechanism might feed you old versions.

Link to BBOFLASH access page

Link to BBOTV access page

I have fixed most of the problems that have reported and added some other improvements. Here is a nice new thing to try:

After you play in a duplicate tourney, you can now look at the results and movies at all tables via the "my results" facility on the right part of the screen.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#67 User is offline   uday 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-April-03, 11:22

Other changes:

Safari and Explorer now use our homegrown popups for web pages. Other browsers use the browser itself; popupblockers will interfere if you choose.

The "show me my recent hands" now shows you most recent 100 hands, most recent first. Opinions about whether 100 is too low/high are welcome.

I still see linux acting up unless it has the latest flash player.

#68 User is offline   paulg 

Posted 2008-April-03, 11:39

<stupidity deleted>

p

This post has been edited by cardsharp: 2008-April-03, 13:48

The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#69 User is offline   firmit 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-April-03, 16:11

fred, on Apr 3 2008, 04:32 PM, said:

1) What you mean by "played cards are way too big"?

I was able to self adjust this - the My Result hands, when I look at the cards that had been played (the "movie"-thing) - so...not that big of a problem, but I like to keep them small - so the "10" is a bit wide.

2) Do you have any further details about the sequence of events that took place when you tried to register for a pairs tourneys? In particular, do you remember seeing any notifications like "Invitation issued, please wait", "You have been registered in the tournament", etc? Did you see you and your partner's names appear in the list of registered users?

Well, I have to admit - I had taken a couple of beers - so... but I was able to make an invitation. But partner never recieved this. Later, when he invited me to a different tournament, I was "blocked" - not able to attend.

3) When you say you saw your partner's alert, do you mean you saw the explanation that he typed for one of his own bids? If yes, do you remember if the explanation appeared at the same time as bid itself or "after the fact"?

Twice today during a tournament, my partners alert was visible to me. As far as I know, this happened on the new version.

Thanks for all your help reporting bugs. Sorry to have to bombard you with questions that you may not remember the answers to, but it is hard for me to track these things down and fix them unless I have more details.

Do not apologize for trying to make better free product! I am happy to help in any way I can :)

I run it in Ubuntu 8.04 beta version, under Firefox 3 beta 4. But Flash should behave the same cross-plattform.
"Never increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain anything." William of Ockham (1285-1349)

#70 User is offline   Ant590 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-April-03, 16:12

There's still an issue with private chat I think:

When you're kibitzing or playing at a table and chat is banned it's fine, but if you're in the lobby and chat to a similar table (i.e. with chat disallowed) you can. Therefore someone could kibitz, write down the hands and then relay them from the lobby.

I've only tried this with tables that have been set up by a friend and have no cards out yet, so this might be because there's no cards dealt yet.

#71 User is offline   A2003 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-April-05, 09:02

Initial stages, kibitzing is disallowed in ACBL tournaments.
In BBOFlash, it continues to show as disallowed till the end, even though the status as allowing Kibitzing is changed in the last round.
But, if you log out and log in again in the middle of the last round, kibitzing is allowed.
But if you log-in early, it continues as kibitzing disallowed till the end.

#72 User is offline   xx1943 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-April-05, 09:10

Hi Fred,

two questions:

1) I wanted to create a "teaching table", but didn't found the option. Is this one of the omitted features?

2) In future, when all people use the "browser version" is there a possibility to to view linfile movies offline on my PC? In other words do you plan to distribute the NetBridgeView.exe furthermore?

Regards

Al
Play Bridge for fun and entertainment and to meet nice people.
BAD bidding may be succesful due to excellent play, but not vice versa.
Teaching in the BIL TUE 8:00am CET.

Lessons available. For INFO look here: Play bridge with Al

#73 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-April-05, 09:43

xx1943, on Apr 5 2008, 03:10 PM, said:

Hi Fred,

two questions:

1) I wanted to create a "teaching table", but didn't found the option. Is this one of the omitted features?

2) In future, when all people use the "browser version" is there a possibility to to view linfile movies offline on my PC? In other words do you plan to distribute the NetBridgeView.exe furthermore?

Regards

Al

Hi Al,

Answers:

1) It is unlikely that we will support the creation of "teaching tables" in the first official release of BBOFlash. You can already join an existing teaching table with BBOFlash.

2) Yes and no. Security restrictions in Flash prevent Flash programs from accessing files on your local hard disk. However, we are currently planning on creating a facility whereby people can create, store, and load .lin files from our servers. At this point in time I think it is likely that this facility will be part of our first official release. Much of the work is already done, but for the purposes of the most recent betas we decided to remove all references to this facility.

We do not have any official plans with respect to the possible retirement of NetBridgeVu.exe. Probably this will happen one day, but that day could easily be several years away. It is certainly not going to happen any time soon.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#74 User is offline   ng:) 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2008-April-05, 11:35

Hi Fred,

Under Firefox Flash version works fine now. I got an icon and a message, had to install flash version 7,019,0. After downloading BBOFlash is O.K. Under IE6 BBOFlash still has no luck.

Thanks, Gabor

#75 User is offline   uday 

Posted 2008-April-05, 12:48

re: private chat

I'm not sure that what we're doing now in the flash thing is wrong. I took a more liberal attitude towards chatting with players in a T

I'll refine the rules with my next server upgrade.

Re: speccing ACBL Ts

When you see a table list, it isn't constantly kept current like it is today. so "refresh" will pick up any changes, in theory. so when a T changes from specs-not-allowed to specs-allowed, you'll (supposedly) see the latest permissions (allow-spec) when you get a table list provided you get the list after the perms have changed, of course.

#76 User is offline   sceptic 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-April-05, 13:28

When you see a table list, it isn't constantly kept current like it is today. so "refresh" will pick up any changes

sorry I find this feature a bit frustrating as all I seem to get when I try to sit is a message (which from my observations seem to happen when someone has sat already and you are unaware of it

#77 User is offline   uday 

Posted 2008-April-05, 15:49

all I seem to get when I try to sit

There is always a race for empty seats, in a sense. The more activity there is, the harder is is to get the seat before someone else grabs it.

Hunting for seats via browse-table just isnt (imo) a good way to find a seat.

Anyone have any better ideas? An "interesting tables" list for sitting ? Something like that?

#78 User is offline   matmat 

• ded
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-April-06, 00:51

hey
decided to try the flash version again after trying one of the first test versions and not liking them. This is better, though I either can't find a few useful features or they're not there.

1) I really like the functionality of the ctrl-s, ctrl-k, ctrl-r chat macros in the win client version, these don't seem to work in the flash, it would be nice if they did. I don't like having to move my mouse a lot when typing.

1a) I think the little "-> Table" and "-> Kibitzers" clickable tabs are neat, I think it would be good to add a dynamic list to those of, say, th e last 5 friends/people who sent you messages (and some sort of a key combination to let you tab through those)

2) Long suits seem to overrun the allotted space in the hand diagram at the bottom right (I am watching vugraph right now and a 7 card suit on the movie sticks out).

3) I think you should move the "back" button that is sitting in the playing area. it, all by itself, is eating up a fraction (i dunno? a 15th? a 20th?) of the playing area, which would be put to better use by allowing the table to expand into it? maybe move it into the top bar or something like that? (i see there are more buttons there if one is at a different table than a vugraph one, but it still seems like that could be moved somewhere else to increase the playing area).

4) it would be good to retain the feature where you can right-click a friend's name and be given an option to go to their table (this was not available while i was in the vugraph theater, had to go back out -- also doesn't seem to work from the initial screen?)

5) I would like to see, just by hovering over their names on the RHS, what my friends are doing, rather than right clicking everyone to see if i can join their tables.

6) it would be nice if friends and enemies had their own colors in the table view, say, an icon instead of or in addition to the ACBL "rating" number -- is having that rating number in the table view necessary?

7) also, from time to time i do like to kibitz a good player single dummy, and i can't seem to find this option in the flash version

8) since you're pretty much writing this from scratch -- any chance of time-stamping messages?

9) are deals and chat still logged?

it's funny... i keep editing this post as i think of more stuff...

10) how about "send this hand to the forums" button? that will let you post a given hand with some text to a specific forum? or would this cause too much of a forum flood?

11) some control over the color scheme would be nice, though i guess that might be difficult. I think changing the color of friend chat would be nice, dark green and dark blue aren't that different from one another

12) emoticons don't work! :)

13) "other" flag shows up blank? is that right?

14) there is something odd going on with seeing people's profile when trying to trigger it from the chat window. I tried seeing the profile from one of my profiles from another and got the profile of one of the players at the table a few times, a few times no profile came up. It looks to me like there is a very subtle bug, where it ignores the pop-up menu line of "show matmat's profile" and shows you the profile of whoever's login-name is underneath the menu when you click the left mouse button. (feel free to pm me here or on bbo if i hadn't described this clearly enough)

15) i'll just lob it up there -- make the Dbl. and Rdbl calls red and blue in the auction box?

16) is it ever the case (on bbo) that EW + imps are not equal to the NS - imps? reducing the number of columns in the movie box-score display might be good.

17) should i be able to find an invisible member using the search box in the top right?

18) heh... another edit... can you make the web-icon for the playing sites slightly different than the web icon for the forums? when i have several tabs open i find it hard to figure out which is which :)

19) I suspect this is not possible, but it would be nice if one hits "reload" on the bboflash page, one were taken back to the same table.

#79 User is offline   david_c 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mathematics;<br>20th century classical music;<br>Composing.

Posted 2008-April-06, 03:58

sceptic, on Apr 5 2008, 08:28 PM, said:

When you see a table list, it isn't constantly kept current like it is today. so "refresh" will pick up any changes

sorry I find this feature a bit frustrating as all I seem to get when I try to sit is a message (which from my observations seem to happen when someone has sat already and you are unaware of it

I have to agree with Wayne: I can understand not wanting the servers to have to keep the information updated for everyone on BBO, but it does seem important to keep it updated for the small proportion of people logged on who are browsing the list at that moment.

Browsing through the list is a perfectly good way to find a game in the "old" client. More to the point, I can imagine that many people would not be happy joining a game without looking at the list first to see who they can join.

#80 User is offline   matmat 

• ded
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-April-06, 04:10

david_c, on Apr 6 2008, 04:58 AM, said:

sceptic, on Apr 5 2008, 08:28 PM, said:

I have to agree with Wayne: I can understand not wanting the servers to have to keep the information updated for everyone on BBO, but it does seem important to keep it updated for the small proportion of people logged on who are browsing the list at that moment.

Browsing through the list is a perfectly good way to find a game in the "old" client. More to the point, I can imagine that many people would not be happy joining a game without looking at the list first to see who they can join.

maybe the solution here is (if continual updates are not possible) to list the tables in a different order for everyone, so that the first "available" table is different and depends on the first character of your login?

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users