Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Split-range 2/1s

#1 User is offline   MickyB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2008-February-28, 17:46

I've recently adopted a new response style to major-suit openings when using strong NT and five-card majors. I'll be playing it in the Junior Whitehouse tourney in March, hopefully if it comes up on vugraph everything will go smoothly!

--

The problem with 2/1 GF is that the 1NT response is overloaded. The main problem comes on auctions like

1S:1N, 2D:2S. Here responder could have just an ace, or he could have an average ten-count.

Of course, the problem with light, Acol-style 2/1s is that there aren't enough forcing bids available when you hold a big hand. However, there are also some issues there on the invitational hands -

1H:2D, 2H:2NT. Assuming 3H now would be NF, how do you accept the invite without missing a 6-2 heart fit? Also, if opener is about to pass 2NT, you could easily be missing a safer part-score in clubs.

What I realised was -

"Constructive" hands of about 9-10 points, typically with a doubleton in partner's suit, are best handled by responding at the two-level to show some values, while being able to stop in two of partner's major opposite a minimum - 1S:2D, 2S:P or 1S:2D, 2H:2S, P

"Invitational" hands of about 11 points are best handled by responding 1NT. This leaves opener with as much room as possible to describe their hand further, helping responder to decide what strain to invite in. This also allows responder's 2NT rebid to be forcing to game.

Thus, Split-range 2/1s were born, the name referring to how you respond with a doubleton in partner's suit - with 9-10 points or a GF hand, you bid at the two-level; With a poor hand or an invitational hand, you respond 1NT.

Many of the other decisions associated with the system are the same as in 2/1 - Forcing or semi-forcing NT, constructive raises or not, responder rebidding his suit being forcing or not. (My preference is semi-forcing, slightly constructive and non-forcing respectively).

Over a 2/1 response, some of opener's rebids are artificial -
2NT shows a game-forcing single-suiter
There is a bid showing a GF raise - in Amsterdam, I will be playing that if opener jumps in the suit opened, that shows a GF raise of responder's suit. With David_C, I play that after 1M:2m, 3m+1 (e.g. 1:2, 3) is the GF raise.
3NT shows 17-19 balanced. With 15-16 bal and a 5cM, you are compelled to open 1NT.

#2 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-February-28, 19:01

This all seems hard to acomplish, the 2/1 is also a bit overloaded since your range is 13-22, I wonder if you can really come up with spliting all ranges properly. Will be nice to see.

Anyway, I'll see you in Amsterdam, good luck!

#3 User is offline   Rossoneri 

• Wabbit
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2008-February-29, 02:52

Mike, what about 1-2?
SCBA National TD, EBU Club TD

Unless explicitly stated, none of my views here can be taken to represent SCBA or any other organizations.

#4 User is offline   MickyB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-February-29, 03:33

Rossoneri, on Feb 29 2008, 08:52 AM, said:

Mike, what about 1-2?

In response to 1, a balanced 9-10 count really has to respond 1NT - if partner has a weak NT, you don't want to be any higher than that - so split-range 2/1s cannot apply there. I just play that 1:2 promises a rebid.

#5 User is offline   Gerben42 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Astronomy, Mathematics
    Nuclear power

Posted 2008-February-29, 03:39

May I suggest:

http://www.geocities...ridge/1d2c.html

Thanks to Smirny for this one.
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!
My Bridge Systems Page

BC Kultcamp Rieneck

#6 User is offline   Rossoneri 

• Wabbit
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-March-01, 02:02

I'm probably going to try it out with kueh and see how it goes. This could be a good addition to PC.

Unless explicitly stated, none of my views here can be taken to represent SCBA or any other organizations.

#7 User is offline   Rossoneri 

• Wabbit
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-March-05, 09:53

Anyone has any idea what's good after (say) 1H-1NT-2C?

If responder has 8-9 HCP, opener might have a min hand and passing might be best.

But if opener has a 16-17 HCP hand, game might be missed.

Anyway around this?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users