Scoring: MP

W.....N.....E.....S
P.....P.....1...1
P.....3...P.....P
3...All Pass

3 raise is preemptive.

North leads A + another, all following.

What next, for South at trick 3?

Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#2 User is offline   vuroth 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2008-March-04, 08:30

Dummy has 15, I have 12. Declarer passed the first time around, so likely has less than 8 points. Partner has already shown 4 points, and so has at least 2 more.

From the bidding, I expect declarer has at least 6, and likely not more than 2. Declarer either has 2 or 3 - I can't tell for sure. That leaves declarer with 2-4 .

I think my best bet is to play partner for a King (2 jacks wouldn't help, I think). If partner has the K, then I think whoever leads first gives up a trick, so I'd better not lead that. Same thing with , though I"m not super fond of leading them anyways.

Since a might give declarer a ruff-and-sluff, I'll return the .

V
Still decidedly intermediate - don't take my guesses as authoritative.

"gwnn" said:

rule number 1 in efficient forum reading:
hanp does not always mean literally what he writes.

#3 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2008-March-04, 14:55

Sorry all, forget this thread. I really must properly GIB my hands before posting. It is not a good example.

On the bidding 3H is almost sure to be 4 card support. Any doubt about that is dispelled by North's choice of Heart spot card continuation at trick 2. I should have mentioned that in original post.

As South I reckoned much along the same lines as Vuroth, up to the final sentence. Fully expecting a ruff and sluff I continued Hearts, as I did not fancy any prospects of developing tricks in the minors and not expecting declarer to have much by way of useful discards on the ruff and sluff I continued Hearts. True to form declarer had the Club King and Diamond Jack so there appeared no prospect there. However declarer only had 5 trumps headed by the Jack, so a 4th round of hearts when p got in with the Spade King and declarer lost trump control, each Heart after the third round being used to force declarer.

I had hoped it would be a good example of when to volunteer a ruff and discard: Potential for declarer to lose trump control and no likely useful losers to discard. But when I GIBbed the hand it seemed that a D:Q exit also beats it (as, surpisingly does C:Q but not C:x).

So, sorry about that. Will try better next time.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users