• Deipnosophist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2008-February-28, 18:25

Scoring: IMP

1 - 1
2 - 3
4 - ?

Partner opens 1 and over your 1 response you hear 2. You bid 3 and partner jumps to 4.

Are you going to bid on?

If so, what is your call?
"Half the people you know are below average." - Steven Wright

#2 User is online   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2008-February-28, 18:29

6 err, is pard known to psyche? Even with my minimum we should have slam,

#3 Guest_Jlall_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 2008-February-28, 18:37

5D, good lesson for B/I is not to bid keycard when you have xx in an unbid suit, cuebiddng is better.

I cannot see passing this one, and definitely think 7 is in the picture and plan on trying for it.

#4 User is offline   jocdelevat 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2008-February-28, 18:48

I pass if pard wanna go to slam he could cue clubs instead of jump to game. I play jump to game as stop.

oops I did it again. i didn't see Jlall post and I post my answer.
It's not what you are, it's how you say it!

best regards
jocdelevat

#5 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-February-28, 18:52

jocdelevat, on Feb 28 2008, 07:48 PM, said:

oops I did it again. i didn't see Jlall post and I post my answer.

Please continue doing so!
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#6 User is offline   Echognome 

• Deipnosophist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-February-28, 19:05

Always good to be honest how you would bid it and then read other opinions to see if you should change that view.

#7 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2008-February-28, 21:46

This is a rather strange start to the auction.

I have, to restate. KQJxx AKQJ Kx xx

I started with a 1 response to a 1 opening and had that call raised. I then made a forcing 3 call, presumably a two-way bid, either a natural game try or a natural start to a slam try.

Partner cannot have evaluated his hand up because of heart cards, but he accepted the game try while causing some problems for the slam try by not cuebidding something useful along the way. Why would he do that?

Well, we can quickly decide why he is not being cooperative -- he has at most one "internal" card. He cannot have any heart honor, and he has at most the spades Ace. So, he has a reason to accept game but does not want to overstate his enthusiasm because of his meager contribution to the majors.

Strangely, we also have the diamond King that we are looking at. So, partner cannot have oustanding diamonds. Sure, he might have AQJx(x) or something, but this looks like hesitant values.

So, what is partner thinking? Partner expects that you have some sort of 5-4 hand, probably, meaning only four cards on the side. If you are in the game territory, you probably have something like 7 1/2 to 8 1/2 losers, meaning that you want partner to be able to contribute about five cover cards. What covers can he have?

We know that he only has one internal cover card -- the spade Ace. So, he seems to need four external covers. It is hard to imagine him not having, therefore, both minor Aces. That gets him to a 12-count. He probably has a hesitant/contingent/geemaybe value in hearts, like a doubleton. That gets him up to three covers and a smidge. One more Queen does not seem like enough. Another King is a problem, because then he starts to look like a 15-count.

Strange.

So, we need to figure out the problem. It seems that the problem must be in the form of even shorter hearts, which could be a negative value in his estimation -- a duplication of values. So, I expect a high likelihood of a stiff heart, which turns out to be of no concern to us.

The first two suits, then, appear to be Axxx x.

Eight more cards. He must have equal or longer diamonds, and he still needs a real good shot at two more covers. It seems fairly likely that partner has something like :

Axxx x AQxxx Kxx
Axxx x QJxx AKxx

He won't like have a COV (Concentration Of Values) in diamonds, because that would create a COW (Concentration Of Weakness) in clubs, which might be a nice hand opposite 5431 pattern from your hand. So, I'd not expect Axxx x AQJxx xxx. With a hand like that, a really weak mess anyway, he might rebid his diamonds to show how good they are. Plus, I just don't see it.

The bottom line is that I think my overabundance of internal values and his acceptance-without-cooperation yields a conclusion that we must have at least 5-level safety.

So, what to do about that?

You could bid 5 to show that card, but I cannot see partner ever valuing up this monstrosity of an apparent lack of help. He will never find any heart cards, no matter how hard he looks, and he will never grow a second spade card. Sure, he will like the 5 call if it grows the value of his own suit, and a very trusting partner will find the club control to be huge, but we just have way too much and too strong a feeling that he is stiff in hearts and inconsolable about that.

Whereas, therefore, 5 might be the technically right bid, I don't think it is the practical bid. I think that the assumption of a club control is very reliable. So, I would probably bid 4NT with most people and trust my analysis. If I get confirmation of three keys, I'm there.

If I hear two without, I still feel confident. If partner is missing the diamond Ace and has both black Aces, this seems easy. I cannot lose two clubs, and I cannot imagine losing two diamonds.

If partner has the diamond Ace, I feel, again, strong that he has the club King at least. I'll hope that it is protected by the Queen, by the Jack and my brilliant guessing, or by the position behind the Ace because of my good living.

If he shows one (Axxx x QJxx KQJx???), I'm out.

I think that 5 is still the technically right bid, in case partner has Axxx x AQJxx QJx and cannot stand it. But, it seems that the likelihood of that holding is outweighed by the likelihood that most partners would decline a 5 slam try on the many more likely hands that fit well for slam, because of his terrible major contribution and would not make be able to stomacha 5 last train call with a stiff heart.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#8 User is online   jillybean 

• hooked
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2008-February-28, 21:48

I considered cue bidding but then thought Im going to 6 over any response, so why not bid it. If pard wouldnt cue over 3 Im not likely to hear 6 am I?
Fast reply, Im obviously missing something :D

#9 User is offline   skjaeran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, sports, Sci-fi, fantasy

Posted 2008-February-29, 00:28

Partner could very well have something like Axxx x AQJxx QJx.

Thus, plasting slam isn't an issue to me. A club lead stands out on the auction.

I'll just cuebid 5, and toss the ball to partner. If partner rebids 5 I'll pass.
Kind regards,
Harald

#10 User is offline   vuroth 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-February-29, 11:08

Is cue-bidding on second round controls standard enough that I should expect a pickup partner to be doing it?

If 5 is cue, what does partner respond with a club stop? Can partner be missing 2 aces, but still have the K? If partner holds Axxxx Jx AQ KTx are we just unlucky if we go 6-1? (Or is that still too weak for partner to hold?)

If cues only show first round controls, do we have to stop at 4? At matchpoints, would it be worth trying blackwood/keycard despite the clubs, or is it possibly going to drive partner to 7 when we shouldn't be there?

Sheesh, did I ask enough questions?

V
Still decidedly intermediate - don't take my guesses as authoritative.

"gwnn" said:

rule number 1 in efficient forum reading:
hanp does not always mean literally what he writes.

#11 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-February-29, 11:54

vuroth, on Feb 29 2008, 12:08 PM, said:

Is cue-bidding on second round controls standard enough that I should expect a pickup partner to be doing it?

That depends on your pick-up partner. For these questions I think it is better if you assume that your partner is a very good player. Try to figure out what the best bid is rather than what the optimal bid would be if you were playing with a weak partner.

If 5 is cue, what does partner respond with a club stop?  Can partner be missing 2 aces, but still have the K?  If partner holds Axxxx Jx AQ KTx are we just unlucky if we go 6-1?  (Or is that still too weak for partner to hold?)

Partner did not cue over 3H and still you try for slam. I think that this is a situation where partner has to cooperate with a club control (not stopper, QJ10 is a stopper but not a control).

If partner holds the hand you gave then there are two heart jacks. Also, partner opened 1D, not 1S. It is possible that you get to a decent slam and go down, such is bridge.

If cues only show first round controls, do we have to stop at 4?  At matchpoints, would it be worth trying blackwood/keycard despite the clubs, or is it possibly going to drive partner to 7 when we shouldn't be there?

If your methods don't allow you to investigate slam here then that is a problem, maybe a blast to 6S would be your best bet.

While a grand slam is possible, I wouldn't be worried about that before I knew whether we had a small slam. At this point getting to a grand is not a priority. If we had KQ109x AKQJ Kxx x then we could try keycards in the hope that we could find partner with Axxx xxx AQxx Ax or something like that. But again, I think that grand slam bidding is not what you should be worrying about.

Sheesh, did I ask enough questions?

What's enough... they were excellent questions.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#12 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2008-February-29, 14:20

Jlall, on Feb 29 2008, 01:37 PM, said:

5D, good lesson for B/I is not to bid keycard when you have xx in an unbid suit, cuebiddng is better.

I cannot see passing this one, and definitely think 7 is in the picture and plan on trying for it.

I don't think grand is possible. I want partner to do something different than 4 with three bullets over 3.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#13 User is offline   Cascade 

Posted 2008-February-29, 14:26

This is very very awkward.

The 5 cue might get us to slam off two bullets when partner has something like:

xxxx
x
QJxxx
AKQ

or

xxxx
x
AQJxx
KQx

Although perhaps with only one key-card we should bid slam with those hands.

I can see that someone is going to have to guess well here. And 5 just passes the buck to partner.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog

#14 Guest_Jlall_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 2008-February-29, 14:51

Cascade, on Feb 29 2008, 03:20 PM, said:

I don't think grand is possible. I want partner to do something different than 4 with three bullets over 3.

People on these forums always talk about "cuebiddng" frequently over game try auctions, but I think doing that is way too likely to give something away the 90 % of the time partner has a game try rather than a slam try, and I do not see the problem with partner, who has a slam try, biddng over a jump to game, which shows extras.

Not to mention I don't think a hand like Axxx xx Axxx Axx is good enough to cuebid, or even as good as some hands posted in this thread offered as constructions for partner's 4S bid.

#15 User is offline   Cascade 

Posted 2008-February-29, 15:12

Jlall, on Mar 1 2008, 09:51 AM, said:

People on these forums always talk about "cuebiddng" frequently over game try auctions, but I think doing that is way too likely to give something away the 90 % of the time partner has a game try rather than a slam try, and I do not see the problem with partner, who has a slam try, biddng over a jump to game, which shows extras.

Not to mention I don't think a hand like Axxx xx Axxx Axx is good enough to cuebid, or even as good as some hands posted in this thread offered as constructions for partner's 4S bid.

So we know partner's 3 bid is ambiguous about strength - game try or slam try and with a hand seriously good if he has a slam try we take away all of the space to investigate below game.

That doesn't seem very cooperative to me.
Wayne Burrows

#16 User is offline   vuroth 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-February-29, 15:16

han, on Feb 29 2008, 12:54 PM, said:

vuroth, on Feb 29 2008, 12:08 PM, said:

That depends on your pick-up partner. For these questions I think it is better if you assume that your partner is a very good player. Try to figure out what the best bid is rather than what the optimal bid would be if you were playing with a weak partner.

In other words, they SHOULD? Fair enough. Maybe I should, too.

It is possible that you get to a decent slam and go down, such is bridge.

Yeah, I figured that was the answer. Very fair.

Thanks.

V
Still decidedly intermediate - don't take my guesses as authoritative.

"gwnn" said:

rule number 1 in efficient forum reading:
hanp does not always mean literally what he writes.

#17 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2008-February-29, 17:47

Jlall, on Feb 29 2008, 03:51 PM, said:

I can understand the debate as to whether it makes sense or not to cuebid if the slam try is rare, such as an auction like 1-P-2-P-3, although I happen to come down on the side of cuebidding there also.

What I don't get, though, is not cooperating in this sequence. From my memory, it seems that 1-P-1-P-2-P-3 is wildly more often a slam move sequence than a game try sequence. Maybe a 10:1 favorite to be a slam try sequence rather than 1:10 as you suggest.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#18 User is offline   Cascade 

Posted 2008-February-29, 18:08

kenrexford, on Mar 1 2008, 12:47 PM, said:

What I don't get, though, is not cooperating in this sequence. From my memory, it seems that 1-P-1-P-2-P-3 is wildly more often a slam move sequence than a game try sequence. Maybe a 10:1 favorite to be a slam try sequence rather than 1:10 as you suggest.

You'll need to do more to convince me of that.
Wayne Burrows

#19 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-February-29, 18:08

I think we must bid 5 now. Obviously 4 does not promise a club control, but p cannot have felt obliged to cue since we can see that he must have control in at least one minor, so he cannot have denied a club control either. And if we don't believe in cuebidding because it just gives info to opps, then we should have bid 6 directly over 2.

Except if opps think that 3 was a lead-inhibiting bid so they lead a heart. :)
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#20 User is offline   Echognome 

• Deipnosophist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-February-29, 18:14

helene_t, on Feb 29 2008, 04:08 PM, said:

I think we must bid 5 now. Obviously 4 does not promise a club control, but p cannot have felt obliged to cue since we can see that he must have control in at least one minor, so he cannot have denied a club control either. And if we don't believe in cuebidding because it just gives info to opps, then we should have bid 6 directly over 2.

Except if opps think that 3 was a lead-inhibiting bid so they lead a heart. :)

Although there's one thing different here in that if partner cuebids, she is describing dummy's hand rather than declarer's.

The actual hands were:

AT9x xx AKTx Qxx

KQJxx AKQJ Qx xx

1 - 1
2 - 3
4 - 5
5 - AP

Yes I lied about the hand, because I was more interested in making the point not to keycard on every good hand. I didn't want people caught up on another issue of what to do my actual hand if you were going to make another try (5, 5, 5?) as much as if we are going to make a forward move, it should not be keycard.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users