BBO Discussion Forums: Affordable and Quality Health Care - BBO Discussion Forums

• 14 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Affordable and Quality Health Care

#101 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2008-February-17, 11:17

What is the cost of enforcing Empire with troops stationed around the world, paid mercenaries to bolster the numbers, and warfare to maintain hegemony?

Isn't this the Roman blueprint that failed?

As a nation we seem to always be able to afford the costs of deathcare, but find healthcare too expensive.

Perhaps healthcare cost is not even the issue - maybe it is only a matter of priorities.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#102 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2008-February-17, 11:23

Maybe a stupid question from an ignorant non-American, but: why don't individual states set up their own health care? Why do they need to wait for the federal government? Are they afraid that all their good tax payers would move to other states if they implemented a policy that would require a drastic raise of the income tax?
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#103 User is offline   finally17 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2008-February-17, 11:33

helene_t, on Feb 17 2008, 12:23 PM, said:

Maybe a stupid question from an ignorant non-American, but: why don't individual states set up their own health care? Why do they need to wait for the federal government? Are they afraid that all their good tax payers would move to other states if they implemented a policy that would require a drastic raise of the income tax?

A few have. And I believe more are moving towards it. However, I think Federal input is very necessary for it to be effective, and as such it's my understanding that the results have not been stellar. I really don't know any details to share.

More states are moving towards guaranteed health care for children anyway. Seems to me that only the most cold-hearted of people would be opposed to this; they can't be blamed for the world they were born into and as of yet have no power to affect.
I constantly try and "Esc-wq!" to finish and post webforum replies.

Aaron

#104 User is offline   DrTodd13 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-February-17, 12:19

helene_t, on Feb 17 2008, 09:23 AM, said:

I seem to recall hearing that some states had already tried what you suggested. I could be wrong but I think they've all subsequently abandoned those plans for the reasons you suggested. These plans inevitably end up costing 3 or 4x what the original estimates are. I was reading Obama's webpage and he shares this delusion. There's all this stuff on there about reforming government and making it more efficient, reducing waste, getting more done with less. Are there any examples of this ever being done? Huge government efficiency seems to be an oxymoron. No amount of good wishes and empassioned speaches are going to make it otherwise.

#105 User is offline   RedSpawn 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-25, 05:18

View PostDrTodd13, on 2008-February-13, 15:16, said:

The simple fact is that if you hide the cost of something and make it appear free then the inevitable result is increased demand, which will result in higher prices and/or rationing or long waits (if prices are not allowed to move). In the US or in a country with nationalized health care, there is very little downward pressure on prices because people don't shop around for the lowest prices since the costs are hidden. The insurance companies would like to pay less but all they can do is negotiate after the fact. If you want to control health care costs then only have health insurance for catastrophic events (> $10,000 deductible) and otherwise have health savings accounts and have people compete based on price for those health savings account dollars.

The fundamental presumption of health care as a right is totally ridiculous. What if no one was willing to be a doctor at the prices the government was willing to pay. Would the government then have an obligation to force smart people into medical schools under point of gun? Stop existing doctors from retiring? The whole concept is offensive. Nobody has a right to the productive efforts of anyone else and the only way to guarantee the "right" to health care is the partial enslavement of others.

I want to resurrect this topic in light of the Trumpcare health care plan. Is affordable and quality healthcare a right for American citizens or should it be a choice?

Should the government be authorized to levy tax penalties against its citizens for failure to enroll in any health care plan?

Do American citizens have the right to self-insure for medical services?

#106 User is offline   RedSpawn 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-25, 05:31

View PostWinstonm, on 2008-February-17, 11:17, said:

What is the cost of enforcing Empire with troops stationed around the world, paid mercenaries to bolster the numbers, and warfare to maintain hegemony?

Isn't this the Roman blueprint that failed?

As a nation we seem to always be able to afford the costs of deathcare, but find healthcare too expensive.

Perhaps healthcare cost is not even the issue - maybe it is only a matter of priorities.

My comrade.....well said! And you even threw in the monetary hegemony angle into the equation.

We can spend $600-$800 billion ANNUALLY on deathcare but to preserve the health of we the people, domestically, we are all of a sudden broke and wanting in political will.

War always results in 4 D's:
  • Death
  • Disease & Disability
  • Destruction
  • Debt

Is war good for the economy? http://www.huffingto..._b_3185569.html

We have money for unnecessary extended war campaigns but can't feed the poor or provide a tenable, sustainable form of universal health care....amazing priorities.

#107 User is offline   RedSpawn 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-25, 05:46

View PostDrTodd13, on 2008-February-14, 17:41, said:

Because I didn't see it. :)

I agree an advanced civilized society has many benefits. What I reject is that civilization is equivalent to government. I would prefer civilization without government but that isn't available to me. Just because I prefer civilization with government to lack of civilization with no government does not mean that I lose my right to lobby for what I think would be a better system. It's like a guy given a choice between getting beaten with a tire iron or a baseball bat and then told to stop complaining during the beating because he was given his choice of form of torture.

Flag on the play....logical fallacy afoot...False analogy...though I know where your heart is.
Posted Image

#108 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2017-June-25, 07:10

View PostRedSpawn, on 2017-June-25, 05:18, said:

Is affordable and quality healthcare a right for American citizens or should it be a choice?
(The question is whether some basic level of healthcare should be considered a right.)

Should the government be authorized to levy tax penalties against its citizens for failure to enroll in any health care plan?
(This has been resolved by the SC and the answer is yes. The question is not legality but whether the quasi-market solution is better or worse than a true universal government provided plan.)

Do American citizens have the right to self-insure for medical services?
(This is a red herring. There is no reason why both basic universal care and extra-cost exceptional care cannot be offered within the same country.)

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#109 User is offline   RedSpawn 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-25, 10:54

https://obamacarefac...stof-obamacare/

Never did look up this web site. It answers a lot of questions about Obamacare. Says the average plan after subsidies is $82 a month for all plans but that sounds very low. Hmmm.

#110 User is offline   RedSpawn 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-25, 11:28

And here's Trumpcare facts...

https://trumpcare.com

Interesting....

#111 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-June-25, 16:46

View PostRedSpawn, on 2017-June-25, 10:54, said:

Never did look up this web site. It answers a lot of questions about Obamacare. Says the average plan after subsidies is $82 a month for all plans but that sounds very low. Hmmm.

Isn't that the point of government-subsidized health insurance? It needs to be very low so that poor people can afford it.

But I wonder if that's just the regular monthly costs, and doesn't include other out-of-pocket costs like deductibles and co-pays.

#112 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-26, 05:38

View PostRedSpawn, on 2017-June-25, 10:54, said:

From the website above, "The US healthcare system is expensive, the most expensive in the world. That is due to many factors including the quality of our care, the general cost of things in America, the sheer amount of folks employed by healthcare system, and general fraud, waste, and abuse."

IMO, the idea of a wasteful industry which resists efforts to streamline itself may be the crux of the problem. It's not only about the US Govt subsidised cost of insurance, but the idea that insurance is expensive because the healthcare system is profligate.

Perhaps this shouldn't be something that the Federal Govt alone needs to tackle. The State Govts, regulatory authorities, citizen groups etc can also help.

#113 User is offline   RedSpawn 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-26, 06:55

View Postshyams, on 2017-June-26, 05:38, said:

From the website above, "The US healthcare system is expensive, the most expensive in the world. That is due to many factors including the quality of our care, the general cost of things in America, the sheer amount of folks employed by healthcare system, and general fraud, waste, and abuse."

IMO, the idea of a wasteful industry which resists efforts to streamline itself may be the crux of the problem. It's not only about the US Govt subsidised cost of insurance, but the idea that insurance is expensive because the healthcare system is profligate.

Perhaps this shouldn't be something that the Federal Govt alone needs to tackle. The State Govts, regulatory authorities, citizen groups etc can also help.

http://www.foxnews.c...ed-country.html

Agreed.

This is social security disability which is not medical health care per se; however, if one lawyer can pimp the system for a whopping $600 million, one wonders what savings abound in the health care industry with even bigger players and a cottage industry of ambulance chasing lawyers.

#114 User is offline   RedSpawn 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-26, 08:56

View Postbarmar, on 2017-June-25, 16:46, said:

Isn't that the point of government-subsidized health insurance? It needs to be very low so that poor people can afford it.

But I wonder if that's just the regular monthly costs, and doesn't include other out-of-pocket costs like deductibles and co-pays.

It probably excludes any and all out-of-pocket costs.

Did you see that Trumpcare includes workfare provisions for states that offer Medicaid? We can't create jobs with livable wages, but we can mandate that Medicaid recipients work for extremely low-paying, unskilled jobs that have no viable career path. This should be a plus for the retail and fast food industry who will then have a semi-permanent underclass labor pool from which to choose and exploit. Imagine the possibilities.

#115 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-June-26, 09:11

View Postshyams, on 2017-June-26, 05:38, said:

Unfortunately, this flies in the face of our general reluctance to control any industry in this way. We already have price controls on Medicaid (or is it Medicare, I can never remember?) coverage, but extending that to the entire healthcare industry is a political non-starter.

The theory behind Obamacare was that if we force everyone to buy health insurance (via the individual mandate), the costs will be spread sufficiently that insurance companies will be able to afford everything. In addition, there will be economies of scale and negotiations between the insurance companies and the healthcare providers to bring costs down, so the government wouldn't have to mandate price controls.

#116 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2017-June-26, 10:10

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CRISPR

Just as innovations over the next ten years with nanotechnology will bring huge changes to the cost structure in the energy/climate change discussions so will nanotech bring changes in Health care costs.

One example is CRISPR.

The potential with CRISPR is to alter evolution itself.

#117 User is offline   RedSpawn 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-27, 17:26

Good answers.

http://www.msn.com/e...ID=ansmsnnews11

The GOP is postponing the vote on TrumpCare after the Congressional Budget Office had some bad things to say.

Meanwhile, progressive groups began laying the groundwork to attend senators’ public events, while medical providers and groups representing Americans with chronic illnesses predicted that the bill could leave millions without access to adequate medical care. The Congressional Budget Office concluded Monday that the measure would cause an estimated 22 million more Americans to be uninsured by the end of the coming decade while reducing federal spending by $321 billion.

Atul Grover, executive vice president of the Association of American Medical Colleges, told reporters that he and other doctors “take it personally” that the bill would lock people out of insurance for six months if they go for 63 days without a health plan and try to sign up for one the next year.

“We’re there at the bedside,” Grover said, adding that none of his members would be willing to tell a patient: “I’m sorry about your stage-four cancer. Come back in six months, when your insurance kicks in.”

#118 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-27, 17:49

Part of our system of government appears to still be functioning:

WASHINGTON — A once-quiet effort by governors to block the full repeal of the Affordable Care Act reached its climax in Washington on Tuesday, as state executives from both parties — who have conspired privately for months — mounted an all-out attack on the Senate’s embattled health care legislation hours before Republicans postponed a vote.

At the center of the effort has been a pair of low-key moderates: Gov. John R. Kasich, Republican of Ohio, and Gov. John W. Hickenlooper, Democrat of Colorado, who on Tuesday morning called on the Senate to reject the Republican bill and to negotiate a bipartisan alternative.

Just before Senate Republicans delayed a vote on the bill, Mr. Kasich denounced his own party’s legislation in biting terms, saying it would victimize the poor and mentally ill, and redirect tax money “to people who are already very wealthy.”

“This bill,” Mr. Kasich said, “is unacceptable.”

From How Governors From Both Parties Plotted to Derail the Senate Health Bill
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#119 User is offline   ldrews 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-27, 19:10

From http://www.zerohedge...oaring-deductib

- 63% of hospital bills were $500 or less; of those hospital bills, 68% were not paid in full in 2016.

- 14% of hospital bills were $3,000 or more; of those hospital bills, 99% were not paid in full in 2016.

- 10% of hospital bills were $500 to $1,000; of those bills 85% were not paid in full in 2016.

Apparently Obamacare enrolles cannot afford the deductibles.

#120 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-28, 04:37

A quick overview of what is coming for those who don't want to trawl through partisan news, whether Left or Right.
(-: Zel :-)

• 14 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users