BBO Discussion Forums: Further auction after DONT - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Further auction after DONT Bidding over their 1NT opening bid

Poll: What do you bid over the 3NT call by your RHO (18 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you bid over the 3NT call by your RHO

1. Pass, I have a good lead and we are vul (7 votes [38.89%])

Percentage of vote: 38.89%

2. DBL, I have a good lead and don't know if we can make 4[SP] (3 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

3. 4 CLUB, give partner a choice between D, S, and H (2 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

4. 4D - partner will run if his second suit is not Diamonds (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. 4 Hearts - well, it is a bid isn't it? (1 votes [5.56%])

Percentage of vote: 5.56%

6. 4 SPADES - bid game vul, also maybe cheap save (5 votes [27.78%])

Percentage of vote: 27.78%

7. Other not listed (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2004-February-26, 15:23

As conventional on BBF, you are south holding:
Scoring: IMP
West North East South
                  1N    2!
  3    3!   3N     ?

At imps, you are playing an aggressive syle DONT overcall. Your 2 bid showed s and a major. Your partner's 3 showed a choice of two contracts, 's and either or . Your non-vul opponent now ventures a 3NT bid.

What do you bid?
--Ben--

#2 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2004-February-26, 16:04

Lets think this over. The real meaning of 3 isn't given, so I suspect it's natural NF, but with some values. If it's otherwise, I'll have to make a new analysis.
So on what kind of hands will opener bid 3NT? He has support in , that's for sure. He also needs a stopper, so that gives him J10xx or better (so max 4s). That leaves partner with short and long s (and s). If he's prepared to play 3M Vulnerable, what kind of hand does he have? At least 1 stiff or void, and some length in one of the Majors, because he won't have lots of values. Distribution it is, and my stiff is pretty fine! So we should lose about 3 tricks in the majors and perhaps one in s, for -1 at the most. Will they make 3NT? They have about 6-7 tricks , a stop in s and a stop in s. If they make about 3 tricks in the majors when we play, they'll get to 9 tricks! Otherwise 4M will make. So 4X is a good defense.

Now the question is: what will we bid? We can eliminate Dbl and pass already. I guess 4 is the best bid: it should show and with tollerance. If partner has a length (6+) he can bid 4, otherwise he should choose if he wants to play 4 or 4. Second best bid is 4 imo, to show and , but it kills the possibility to play 4.

"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#3 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2004-February-26, 16:13

Free, on Feb 27 2004, 01:04 AM, said:

(remark: in the poll, I think "3" must be "4")

Lets think this over. The real meaning of 3 isn't given, so I suspect it's natural NF, but with some values. If it's otherwise, I'll have to make a new analysis.
So on what kind of hands will opener bid 3NT? He has support in , that's for sure. He also needs a stopper, so that gives him J10xx or better (so max 4s). That leaves partner with short and long s (and s). If he's prepared to play 3M Vulnerable, what kind of hand does he have? At least 1 stiff or void, and some length in one of the Majors, because he won't have lots of values. Distribution it is, and my stiff is pretty fine! So we should lose about 3 tricks in the majors and perhaps one in s, for -1 at the most. Will they make 3NT? They have about 6-7 tricks , a stop in s and a stop in s. If they make about 3 tricks in the majors when we play, they'll get to 9 tricks! Otherwise 4M will make. So 4X is a good defense.

Now the question is: what will we bid? We can eliminate Dbl and pass already. I guess 4 is the best bid: it should show and with tollerance. If partner has a length (6+) he can bid 4, otherwise he should choose if he wants to play 4 or 4. Second best bid is 4 imo, to show and , but it kills the possibility to play 4.

I like an immediate 4S bid.

A 4-4 fit in Spades should play better than a 5-3 in Hearts, especially given the expected trump lead.

The immediate 4S bid puts maximum pressure on the opps. A 4C bid gives them too many options during the auction.
Alderaan delenda est

#4 User is offline   Chamaco 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Chess, Bridge, Jazz, European Cinema, Motorbiking, Tango dancing

Posted 2004-February-26, 19:15

What is the meaning of LHO's 3 ? (i.e. constructive in a Lebensohl-ish scheme ?)
"Bridge is like dance: technique's important but what really matters is not to step on partner's feet !"

#5 User is offline   Trpltrbl 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sailing, cooking, bonsaitrees.

Posted 2004-February-26, 19:44

4, pd comes in Vul at 3 level, so he must have at least 9 cards in majors and probably 10.

Mike :rolleyes:
“If there is dissatisfaction with the status quo, good. If there is ferment,
so much the better. If there is restlessness, I am pleased. Then let there
be ideas, and hard thought, and hard work.”

#6 User is offline   WGF_Flame 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2004-February-26, 19:55

Mp i would double, this is because i think 3nt will be a vgood score for them anyway, if they make it.
the resson im not bidding 4 is because there is a good chance that this 3nt will not make, yes east would like to have j10xx in D and both majors As and a runing club, but in real life he might bid this 3nt on maney other hands which he hopes will give him a good score, for example he doesnt have to have the A of spade.
Imp i would bid, vul game is possibe, 2 down is less possible, so i want to be there, what exactly is parnership agrement, imo this 3h shows hearts and spades, it doesnt show better hearts then spades, and i will therefore bid 4sp.

#7 User is offline   luis 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-February-27, 08:02

Pass and I hope to write something in my column.
There're a lot of inferences in the bidding:
First of all 3c is game forcing with a club suit so LHO does have value for game and the 3h bid from my pd doesn't promise a single honor, just the distribution needed to play at the 3 level in hearts or spades or the 4 level in diamonds.
So our side has a very good 9/10 card fit in spades or diamonds so LHO is short in spades or diamonds and has a club suit.
Pd has also hearts so I don't think we can make 4s or 5d because we will lose 1c and 3 hearts or maybe 1c, 2h and 1 spade.
If I bid something I force them to double because of the vulnerability if I pass they may have a losing option. Maybe they find 5c, maybe they have a slam but maybe they will pass 3N and I can run 5 diamond tricks.
The legend of the black octogon.

#8 User is offline   mishovnbg 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge - new bidding systems, psyches; Computers - education, service, program; Computer games great fan :-)

Posted 2004-February-29, 05:44

Spoiler
Hi All!
Spoiler
Playing with paradox bids is not easy. I played it many time in Lambda system (alternative 2 suited openings, now forbidden). Bid like 3 deny support and show better support for normally. Interesting bid is X after 3. What it tells to partner here? In my opinion, like NT it show equival support for and , not enough distribution for 3NT. I think same meaning of X in paradox responses structure, can be accepted as general agreement.
Spoiler
My choice will be 4, because expecting of superfit , good fill of my and because I don't like when opps steal my games by mistakes or superagressive bidding in not vul :) .

Spoiler
Misho
MishoVnBg

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users