BBO Discussion Forums: False-carding... - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

False-carding... Time for a review of favorites....

#1 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2004-February-17, 22:32

False-carding by declarer or a defender is an important part of the game. Three recent post point out the need to maybe review the importance of false-carding and how effective they can be. These threads all happened to be defensive in nature, but false-carding is surely an important relm in declarer's play as well.

The three defensive hands were a very nice one played by ritong where he played a very clever false-card of the J from KJx when partner lead the suit...
http://bridgebase.lunarpages.com/~bridge2/...?showtopic=2055

Another one is a post entitled "another one" by the_hog where you have two entries to dummy and have to decide to hook in or in trumps. The suggested line is to hook in , and if that works, forgo the trump hook, planing a second hook, but if the hook loses, then go back and try the trump hook. On this hand, clearly it is in the defenses best interest to duck the first when it is losing and the trump hook is winning.. and it really isn't that hard on defense to see the duck would be right in that case (parrner does give count on first after all...
http://bridgebase.lunarpages.com/~bridge2/...wtopic=2199&hl=

A plan your play line where declarer cashes the AK before trying a hook.
http://bridgebase.lunarpages.com/~bridge2/...wtopic=2244&hl= Clearly on this hand if 1) West will not drop a tricky Q from QTx this line has merit, and if RHO will not duck the !DJ with !DQxx, this line is superior to playing to King and hooking in ... but if the defenders are "tricky" then you have to reconsider how to play.

Standard decpetion plays are well know... but it might be fun to discuss the need for deception play, example hands where deception is key, and how opponents signalling choices affect how to execute deceptive plays.

Ben
--Ben--

#2 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2004-February-18, 06:23

I have read a GREAT article about desceiving declarer play! Here is the link on Bridgeworld... It is an excellent example (the first story):

http://www.bridgeworld.com/default.asp?d=a...r&f=sammov.html
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#3 User is offline   inquiry 

Posted 2004-February-18, 08:58

Thanks for the hand FREE. This is an very interesting hand, where on defense you have a chance to fool yourself, but it might also be viewed as south really having few options opposite that depressing dummy, but to lead out cards to hopefully establish some winners. The K was to set up the J or T, your partners duck was right. The Queen in an attempt to drop the doubleton J so the T and 9 will be winners. It is more deceptive to lead the Queen than A then Q. I will post a few examples of hands where falsecarding is required too.

What I had in mind was a review of standard, and not so standard falsecarding. A simple example will suffice to illustrate the point. You opponents bid slam after a 1NT-2-2 auction. You can see that your side has very few chances for tricks, with max of one out side of trumps. This is the trump suit you see...

Declarer plays a to the Jack. We all know that the correct play is to drop the TEN or the NINE in case partner has a doubleton K. This gives declarer a losing option of reentering his hand in a side suit and leading out the Q in an attempt to find us with the T9 doubleton. If you play LOW, there is no option but to bang the ACE, and as luck would have it, drop our partners stiff KING. This position is so standard, that against a good player, you can't read anything into the drop of the 9 or T. Against the average BBO player, however, you can certainly play him for the T9 doubleton... hopefully, the few of us who read this site will become good enough to make this play automatically without apparent thought or concern.

Ben
--Ben--

#4 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel

Posted 2004-February-19, 09:53

It's a fact that falsecard play only works against good players. Beginners won't even notice it, or won't look out for possible bad splits...
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#5 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2004-February-19, 16:19

I think that it is more accurate that there are some false cards that work better on better players but there are also some that work better on weaker players.

Wayne
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#6 User is offline   luis 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-February-20, 06:48

I did my homework Ben and thought about my favourite falsecarding positions:

Some of them:

KT8
Axx QJ9

The percentage play is low to the 8 if that loses to the 9 play low to the K next, if the 8 loses to the Q or J finesse the T.
So East in this position must take the 8 with the Q and your side wins 3 tricks. If your pd is not perfect take the 8
with the J, not the Q, just in case.

xx
JTx Ax

KQ9xxx

When declarer without re-entries leads low to the K drop the J and now declarer has an option, if you don't drop the
J his only option is to play pd for Ax. Now he might try the Q to drop your JT doubleton.

Q8x
Axx J9x
KTxx

When dummy leads low from K8x or Q8x and you have J9x or J9 insert the J and your 9 might win a trick.

Defending against a dummy with a good suit and no side entries second hand hight is usually the right play and
can produce some unexpected tricks for your side.

AKJxxx
Qx Txx
xx

Declarer leads low towards dummy, if you insert the Q declarer may play you for the singleton Q and duck so he
can run the suit next even when your pd has Txxx. Same with Qxx, but more fun.

AKQ9xx
Jx Txx
xx

Declarer leads low, play the J if declarer belives that your card is a singleton he should duck if he
only needs 4/5 tricks. Variation:

AQ9xx
xxx JTx
Kx

Declarer plays the K drop the J and he has a losing finesse option (this is a classic falsecard)
tricks
The legend of the black octogon.

#7 User is offline   mishovnbg 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge - new bidding systems, psyches; Computers - education, service, program; Computer games great fan :-)

Posted 2004-February-20, 07:46

......................................................Hi Ben.......................................................
...I prefer to use psyche bids or psyche cards only when no other way to win. Often usage of same bids/cards lead to worse results, because your parner will no longer believe to you. I like to use classic flashe bids/carding, but hate my partner to fool me, hoping about declarer's mistake. I will add my 2 cents:
  • If declarer played K from dummy and you have Q10, give him Q - declarer will probably finesse partner's 10. I did same falshecarding in BBO, but without sucsess against "advanced" player - he simple take his A ;) .
  • If you have alone Q/K and declarer play to dummy where lie AJ9+, play your K/Q - declarer can play for both KQ in your hand. I did same in BBO with sucsess.
  • When declarer play to ruff in dummy and you are after dummy, give him unusual high card second time. Most of declarers/defenders wait you to give falshe card first time :). I did same in BBO with sucsess, both as declarer or as defender.
........................................................................................Misho
MishoVnBg

#8 User is offline   inquiry 

Posted 2004-February-20, 09:38

Luis, your post is exactly the type of stuff I was looking for in this thread. Well done. And misho, thanks for your reply. The advice about second round false-card is very good.
--Ben--

#9 User is offline   luis 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-February-20, 09:55

Some aditional positions (sorry if some of them are too classic)

QTx
KJx Axx

When declarer leads low to play the percentage ten insert the K, some declarers may then play low to the Q thinking you have AK. Of course with AKx play low, the percentage play of the T is losing this time.

AQTx
J9xx
K8xx

Declarer leads low towards AQTx, insert the 9, suddenly declarer has the option to cash AQ in dummy to finesse Jxxx in your pd's hand. If you play low declarer without the 9 must play low to the K next and your jack is history.

Jxx
T9x Kx
AQ87x

Declarer plays low to the Q, drop the T, now declarer has the option to err flotaing the ten to pin T9 doubleton in your hand. If you don't drop the T the only option for declarer is to cash the Ace.

AQT9xx
Jxx Kx
xx

This is a very interesting position, dummy has no entries, declarer leads low to the ten and your pd ducks. Now when declarer leads low again you must play the J as if you had KJx, declarer is likely to err. If you don't play the jack declarer only option is to raise with the Ace.

#10 User is offline   inquiry 

Posted 2004-February-20, 13:37

luis, on Feb 20 2004, 10:55 AM, said:

Dealer: ?????
Vul: ????
Scoring: Unknown
AQT9xx

Jxx

Kx

xx

This is a very interesting position, dummy has no entries, declarer leads low to the ten and your pd ducks. Now when declarer leads low again you must play the J as if you had KJx, declarer is likely to err. If you don't play the jack declarer only option is to raise with the Ace.

Arghhhhhhh, don't remind me of this one.... I had this holding and bravely ducked the Kx... and parnter didn't rise with the JACK on the next round, and that was at matchpoints.

Note to Gerardo, can we have an option to post just one suit, so we don't need to show three suit voids like happened above? It would hellp with this thread as more people suggest falsecard situations. I edited quoted post to make it easier to read...

ben
--Ben--

#11 User is offline   luis 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-February-20, 14:09

inquiry, on Feb 20 2004, 07:37 PM, said:

<!-- FULLHAND begin --><table border=1> <tr> <td> <table> <tr> <td>Dealer:</td> <td> ????? </td> </tr> <tr> <td>Vul:</td> <td> ???? </td> </tr> <tr> <td>Scoring:</td> <td> Unknown </td> </tr> </table> </td> <td> <table> <tr> <th> </th> <th> <table> <tr> <th class='spades'>♠</th> <td> AQT9xx </td> </tr> <tr> <th class='hearts'>♥</th> <td>  </td> </tr> <tr> <th class='diamonds'>♦</th> <td>  </td> </tr> <tr> <th class='clubs'>♣</th> <td>  </td> </tr> </table> </th> <th> </th> </tr> <tr> <th> <table> <tr> <th class='spades'>♠</th> <td> Jxx </td> </tr> <tr> <th class='hearts'>♥</th> <td>  </td> </tr> <tr> <th class='diamonds'>♦</th> <td>  </td> </tr> <tr> <th class='clubs'>♣</th> <td>  </td> </tr> </table> </th> <th> </th> <th> <table> <tr> <th class='spades'>♠</th> <td> Kx </td> </tr> <tr> <th class='hearts'>♥</th> <td>  </td> </tr> <tr> <th class='diamonds'>♦</th> <td>  </td> </tr> <tr> <th class='clubs'>♣</th> <td>  </td> </tr> </table> </th> </tr> <tr> <th> </th> <th> <table> <tr> <th class='spades'>♠</th> <td> xx </td> </tr> <tr> <th class='hearts'>♥</th> <td>  </td> </tr> <tr> <th class='diamonds'>♦</th> <td>  </td> </tr> <tr> <th class='clubs'>♣</th> <td>  </td> </tr> </table> </th> <th> </th> </tr> </table> </td> <td>  </td> </tr> </table><!-- FULLHAND end -->

Arghhhhhhh, don't remind me of this one.... I had this holding and bravely ducked the Kx... and parnter didn't rise with the JACK on the next round, and that was at matchpoints.

Note to Gerardo, can we have an option to post just one suit, so we don't need to show three suit voids like happened above? It would hellp with this thread as more people suggest falsecard situations. I edited quoted post to make it easier to read...

ben

Gerardo/Someone:
A button labeled "one suit" can be perfect for this kind of threads and suit combinations. I'd be happy to edit my previous posts to make them more readable if you can create the "one suit" insert button.

#12 User is offline   Gerardo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-February-20, 16:58

OK. Basics were already done, so not much work :)

#13 User is offline   inquiry 

Posted 2004-February-20, 17:17

Gerardo, on Feb 20 2004, 05:58 PM, said:

OK. Basics were already done, so not much work :)

Yippee!!!!!
--Ben--

#14 User is offline   winkle 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2004-February-20, 22:01

AQT9xx
Jxx                  Kx
          xx

Beware the following position:

The only chance for the defense to kill the suit is for east to duck the first round finesse of the ten. Now if declarer plays the ace on the second round he loses.
My name is Winkle.

#15 User is offline   Trpltrbl 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sailing, cooking, bonsaitrees.

Posted 2004-February-22, 15:50

Falsecarding is nice but if you do it to often people will catch on real quick. Good players that is, others don't even pay attention to what you do.

Mike :angry:
“If there is dissatisfaction with the status quo, good. If there is ferment,
so much the better. If there is restlessness, I am pleased. Then let there
be ideas, and hard thought, and hard work.”

#16 User is offline   inquiry 

Posted 2004-February-23, 16:28

Trpltrbl, on Feb 22 2004, 04:50 PM, said:

Falsecarding is nice but if you do it to often people will catch on real quick. Good players that is, others don't even pay attention to what you do.

Mike  :)

Mike, you confuse me with this statment. First, some false-cards are mandatory, and if you fail to use them, declarer or defender can never ever go wrong. Take this suit as trumps, for instance.
You cash the ACE and the 9 falls from your RHO... if RHO never false-cards, you have no problem but if RHO is a rougue, and will play the 9 from J9xx and from 9, and from J9x... what do you play next.

Second, it is best to be known as a falsecarder... here is a hand from today that will illustrate my point, where all declarer has to do is guess which falsecard I am using...

Scoring: imp

West
Spoiler
North
Spoiler
East
Spoiler
South
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
all pass

We were already going to score a fair result EW, for as you see 4 can make EW. But I found a defense to put some pressure on South. Partner lead the K, which I overtook with the ACE, and immediately returned my lowest .

South can smell a rat here. I either have a singleton and am hoping partner has a entry for a ruff, or maybe I am being clever with three or four and four card suit and trying to talk him out of the "safety" play in of ducking the first round of . Rather this play should work or not, it is easy to see that any other defense but A and low gives declarer no problems whatso ever. On my line, it is not unreasonable to win in dummy and bang top two trumps, planning on playing on s.

This is a kind of false-card, that will give your opponents pause. Maybe next time (imagine a 4 contract, he will play me for four trumps, and hook, and lose a ruff after all, or maybe when he hooks, my partner wins the Q and he will hook the on the way back expecting me to ruff but that be our last trick. But perhaps instead of ruffing, l win the J and manage a trump promotion when my partner has QJx to begin with and I have Jxx of (1, 1, 2). But the point is, it is best to be known as a false-carder, because then they have trouble believing you even when you tell the truth. It seems to me, that overtake A and lead a is the best defense on this hand regardless if partner or opponent holds the K... :(

Ben
--Ben--

#17 User is offline   Trpltrbl 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-February-23, 18:41

Well I agree with you somewhat. I just really think that that is almost a std play, as you can see that declarer has no problem making the hand if you do anything else. And taking 9 tricks on this is something my dog can do, if in game it might take some more attention. But people bidding this might need some lessons, send em my way. Preempting on good 7 card suit at 2 level :( then bidding only 3 after pd overcalled 3 is just sick :) . Do they need another ace to try for game ? Or is overcaller overcalling on nothing all the time? Come to think of it, I don't have time for students like that.

Mike :D

#18 User is offline   inquiry 

Posted 2004-February-23, 20:07

Trpltrbl, on Feb 23 2004, 07:41 PM, said:

Well I agree with you somewhat. I just really think that that is almost a std play, as you can see that declarer has no problem making the hand if you do anything else. And taking 9 tricks on this is something my dog can do, if in game it might take some more attention. But people bidding this might need some lessons, send em my way. Preempting on good 7 card suit at 2 level :D then bidding only 3 after pd overcalled 3 is just sick :angry: . Do they need another ace to try for game ? Or is overcaller overcalling on nothing all the time? Come to think of it, I don't have time for students like that.

Three issues....

1) Overtaking and returning a while I think is the right play, it is hardly "standard". To begin with, this hand was played in spades 11 times, and only one defender used this line despite lead everytime

2) As for preempting at two level with a "good" seven card suit and the "sick" bid of 3 over my raise of 3. Hmmm, let me tell that the 2 and 3 bidders are both among the very best bridge players on teh BBO, and both better than me. So I would never question either of these players, or bids. Let's just say I disagree with your views on this one.

Ben
--Ben--

#19 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel

Posted 2004-February-24, 05:57

Just thinking about a falsecard situation my partner learned me, and which works only against good players:

You're playing in TRUMPS, the suit is not the trump suit, you KNOW that the finesse won't work, and you still have some entry in dummy. This is a possible setup:

North is dummy, trump suit is

How will you ever be able to play without a loser? Play small to the Ace and small back to the Jack. RHO will be scared of giving Q away when he takes K now (in case you were singleton), so he might play small, and then you can give him a smile and cash your Jack :D

Remark: if you play the suit like this, you won't even give away a possible trick, because if RHO takes his K, your Q becomes a trick, as if you played J and let it run. But you see it's necessary that you KNOW that the King is behind the fork, otherwise you'll give away a trick.

#20 User is offline   Trpltrbl 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-February-24, 20:25

Ben,

I can bring up some sympaty for the 2 opening bid if Vul against not, or maybe Vul against Vul, not my style, but old people have their own style, it's oudated but what works for them...
But the 3 is so horrible, every time I look at it, I have to run to bathroom and .................... ( am sure you can figure it out ), only way I can figure it out is that they overcall on absolutly nothing and have to guess after that. Like I said before having a star doesn't make them worldclass players, it just seems to blind people, and making them think that whatever they do is the right thing :)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users