BBO Discussion Forums: Unlucky grand slam - the ace of trumps was offside - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Unlucky grand slam - the ace of trumps was offside

Poll: Which was the worst call in the auction? (51 member(s) have cast votes)

Which was the worst call in the auction?

1. 4[CL] (5 votes [9.80%])

Percentage of vote: 9.80%

2. 5[SP] (25 votes [49.02%])

Percentage of vote: 49.02%

3. 6[CL] (6 votes [11.76%])

Percentage of vote: 11.76%

4. 6[DI] (4 votes [7.84%])

Percentage of vote: 7.84%

5. 7[SP] (11 votes [21.57%])

Percentage of vote: 21.57%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2008-January-01, 12:02

SoTired, on Jan 1 2008, 03:35 PM, said:

I think there is an unwritten rule-of-thumb that says, "In a q-bidding auction, only the one with the ace of trumps can bid grand."

So would the bidding have been OK if West had held Spades headed by AQ instead of KQ?

I am with Inquiry that the 5S bid asks for good trumps, but I use the steps between 5S and 6S to show specific trump holdings (too good to pass, obviously) just in case partner wants a shot at 7. So on this hand there would be no doubt about the missing Ace (or missing King had West held the Ace instead of the King)
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#22 User is offline   MFA 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-January-01, 15:29

7 is a huge overbid, even 6 would be too much IMO.
I don't have a serious problem with any of the other calls.
Michael Askgaard

#23 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-January-01, 19:06

Winstonm, on Jan 1 2008, 12:07 PM, said:

I think everything is O.K. (except the splinter) until the cuebidding started.

So basically, you agree with 1H and 1S?
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#24 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2008-January-01, 20:12

Hannie, on Jan 1 2008, 08:06 PM, said:

Winstonm, on Jan 1 2008, 12:07 PM, said:

I think everything is O.K. (except the splinter) until the cuebidding started.

So basically, you agree with 1H and 1S?

Maybe I should clarify - I was O.K. with everything until the bidding started. :)
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#25 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2008-January-01, 20:43

:)
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#26 User is offline   Echognome 

• Deipnosophist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-January-01, 22:00

For those that would keycard over 4:

AKQx AKJxxx xx x
Qxxx AKJxxx xx A
AQxx AKJxxx xx A
KQxx AKJxxx xx A
AKQx AKJxxx xxx ---
KQxx AKJxxx xxx ---

Do you have a plan for all of these hands?

I think a big question here, at least in my mind, is who is cooperating with whom?
"Half the people you know are below average." - Steven Wright

#27 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2008-January-02, 00:29

I like RKC over 4 clubs. I'm assuming that the club bid is a singleton, so the ace of clubs is still important. I hope our partnership has a way of saying 2-with-a-void. 6 spades is easy to bid then, assuming that I'm not partnering a loon who would make the bid with Kxxx AKJxxx Qjx V.
Chris Gibson

#28 User is online   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2008-January-02, 10:39

I don't like 5, for reasons no one has yet addressed.

This call forces to slam opposite good trump in context..... so we are forcing to slam opposite, say, AKxx AKJxx QJx x... not a good contract, altho we've all seen sicker dogs live. It also forces to slam opposite KQ10x AKJ10x QJx x, and this is a dog that will not make it.

From West's p.o.v. he surely can play east for the spade A for his 5 call, because, it seems to me, it is difficult to construct hands for East, containing the club A, where keycard doesn't solve all problems over 4.

It seems to me that from West's pov he should be expecting a hand such as Axxx Qx AKxx xxx, where east wants to be in slam opposite KQxx AKJxx QJx x but not opposite Qxxx AKJxx QJx A, a hand that gives the same keycard answer as the earlier one.

Thus, to me, the worst call is 5, since that creates the impression of a better trump suit, and engenders the grand slam try of 6.

Over that, 6[DI is misguided only because 5 was wrong. If we accept that 5 was correct, then 6 is okay (I stress: I think it is wrong because it compounds the error of 5).

But West is not blame-free. Even opposite Axxx xx AKxx xxx, as an example, 7 is not a good spot. We need both majors to behave, which makes it an anti-percentage grand.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#29 User is offline   Apollo81 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-January-02, 11:12

dburn, on Jan 1 2008, 09:32 AM, said:

I confess, I would have made every bid West did until his final one (I would prefer 6). And I would have made every bid East did until his final one (I would prefer 6). But the worst call in any grand slam auction missing the ace of trumps is always the final call, so 7 narrowly beats 6.

Agree with this analysis.

#30 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-January-02, 11:28

mikeh, on Jan 2 2008, 11:39 AM, said:

I don't like 5, for reasons no one has yet addressed.

This call forces to slam opposite good trump in context..... so we are forcing to slam opposite, say, AKxx AKJxx QJx x... not a good contract, altho we've all seen sicker dogs live. It also forces to slam opposite KQ10x AKJ10x QJx x, and this is a dog that will not make it.

Fair enough on the first example, but the second is for one thing barely worth a splinter if at all, and for another surely not worth any cuebid if it has splintered. I mean it looks like you had to put in every possible ten just to convince yourself :)

Over that, 6[DI is misguided only because 5 was wrong. If we accept that 5 was correct, then 6 is okay (I stress: I think it is wrong because it compounds the error of 5).

Could you expand on this comment? Lets say I believe 5 is ok, then why couldn't 6 be wrong anyway? East should only make that bid if he believes a grand is still possible that west isn't bidding on his own anyway, which is not the case here IMO.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#31 User is offline   Echognome 

• Deipnosophist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-January-02, 11:39

jdonn, on Jan 2 2008, 09:28 AM, said:

Could you expand on this comment? Lets say I believe 5 is ok, then why couldn't 6 be wrong anyway? East should only make that bid if he believes a grand is still possible that west isn't bidding on his own anyway, which is not the case here IMO.

This is exactly the question I was wondering.

Will West bid grand with the same hand holding the A over 5?

If so, then 6 is *clearly* wrong.

#32 User is offline   keylime 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: FD TEAM
  • Interests:Motorsports, cricket, disc golf, and of course - bridge. :-)

Posted 2008-January-02, 12:52

I think 6 is a much worse call than 5. You're staring at KQ of trumps and pard's made an aggressive slam with the Q of hearts working in principle. Bidding what you've already shown doesn't help pard, as much as bidding 6 to confuse pard on which contract to play in.

The splinter isn't that bad of a call.
"Champions aren't made in gyms, champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. " - M. Ali

#33 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2008-January-02, 13:05

I think 5 can only be understood as bad trumps in this situation. I can't see what else it should mean.... Thus West should bid 6, at the very best.

Still 5 is a VERY DANGEROUS bid if it's undiscussed. It seems as if West didn't in fact understood it.

#34 User is offline   Echognome 

• Deipnosophist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-January-02, 13:12

whereagles, on Jan 2 2008, 11:05 AM, said:

I think 5 can only be understood as bad trumps in this situation. I can't see what else it should mean.... Thus West should bid 6, at the very best.

Still 5 is a VERY DANGEROUS bid if it's undiscussed. It seems as if West didn't in fact understood it.

I think West *did* understand it.

The issues as far as I can see are:

1) What constitutes good trumps in this this auction? Should West be thinking two of the top three honors only? What about, e.g. AT9x? KT9x?

2) Should East take control and keycard? Can he handle any response? Should West show a "useful void" when he has already splintered? Does it matter how many keycards he has for showing this useful void? Given that he has two keycards and the Q, should he show it as two plus the queeen or two and a useful void?

2) Since West has good trump honors, should he cooperate with East over 5 in case East is searching for grand? Why didn't East keycard? Over 6 does the sixth heart justify a leap to grand? (4 showed 2/3 top honors) What would 6 promis in context? Is it LTTC for grand?

3) Since West has shown good trumps, should East cooperate for a grand? East's hand has grown significantly on this auction with all of his points working. Would West be able to bid the grand on his own with AKQx AKJxxx xxx ---?

#35 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2008-January-02, 13:19

Echognome, on Jan 2 2008, 07:12 PM, said:

whereagles, on Jan 2 2008, 11:05 AM, said:

I think West *did* understand it.

Then I don't understand 6... :)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users