BBO Discussion Forums: lots of hearts - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

lots of hearts

Poll: your bid (37 member(s) have cast votes)

your bid

1. p (16 votes [43.24%])

Percentage of vote: 43.24%

2. x (21 votes [56.76%])

Percentage of vote: 56.76%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2007-December-25, 16:08

xx
AKQxxxx
Kx
Ax

LHO opens 1, RHO bids 1NT forcing, we're favorable, we try 4, LHO bids 4, passed to us.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#2 User is offline   matmat 

• ded
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-December-25, 16:30

I am always wrong on these... I don't think we can double. given our hand and a normal 1N from RHO, we should not expect to set. what do we do if p takes out the double to 5m? bid 5h? doesn't that show a much better hand?

i runno, but i think possibly the problem comes from the original 4 call in that our hand is too good.

#3 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2007-December-25, 16:36

I don't like playing Texas Transfers with this hand.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#4 User is offline   pclayton 

Posted 2007-December-25, 16:54

Caveat: I was Csaba's pard here.

I think if you are overcalling 4H (3S decribes this hand well IMO) then its a mandatory double.

How much more defense can you possibly have for a green preempt?
"Phil" on BBO

#5 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-December-25, 17:35

Agree with Phil.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#6 User is offline   rogerclee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-December-25, 18:14

I think this is an easy double. I expect partner to pull with nothing, as he should realize that I cannot possibly be expecting to set in my own hand.

#7 Guest_Jlall_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 2007-December-25, 20:37

I bid 4H then X with these hands a lot and have gotten good results from it so I will continue that. The bidding problem was the round before though, if you are bidding 4H on this you are committed to Xing.

#8 User is offline   ArtK78 

• Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2007-December-25, 20:38

4 followed by double says that you bid it to make, not to preempt. Let partner in on the secret.

Double.

#9 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2007-December-26, 04:42

Dbl. Agree with Justin, the bidding problem was the round before.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#10 User is online   awm 

Posted 2007-December-26, 09:07

I don't like the 4 bid, because of precisely this sort of problem. My own observations have been:

(1) Opponents will very often bid 4 over a 4 bid like this. They tend to push in competitive auctions. If opponents do choose to sell to 4 or 4X, they are usually right to do so.

(2) The potential advantage of bidding 4 then, is that sometimes opponents will overbid to 4. But sometimes they will have their 4 bid too. If we could always manage to double 4 when opponents have overbid and pass it out when they have their calls, then bidding 4 would certainly be a winner. However....

(3) We have to double, because partner is totally out of the loop here. Our attempt to win the board by bidding 4 directly will fail disastrously if 4 was making and we let them take an undoubled sacrifice.

(4) Having doubled, we can't defend 4 undoubled. We're now betting that either 4 is failing or 5 is a good sacrifice (not clear) and that partner, looking at very few of our side's assets, can figure out which option is better (even less clear).

(5) Finally, there will be a great number of hands where 4 is a close call, either making or one off. Say it's fifty-fifty, and the other table defends 4 each time. Our options are to defend 4X (losing 5 imps half the time, gaining 3 imps the other half) or to bid on to 5 doubled, say two down (losing 9 imps half the time, gaining 8 imps the other half). This is a losing proposition in general. Sometimes it is simply right to defend undoubled.

Anyways, I agree with the crowd that having bid 4 there is little choice now but to double.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#11 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

Posted 2007-December-26, 09:17

X, as long as you have agreed, that
it shows an interest to sacrifice unless,
partner has some defence against 4S.

But I am not 100% sure, this is really best,
given the defence we hold.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#12 User is offline   pclayton 

Posted 2007-December-26, 11:15

A lot of people who I respect are passing 4, but I think thats just plain nuts.
"Phil" on BBO

#13 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-December-26, 11:18

pclayton, on Dec 26 2007, 12:15 PM, said:

A lot of people who I respect are passing 4, but I think thats just plain nuts.

Like who? That is unbelievable...
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#14 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2007-December-26, 15:02

4 ok. now dbl to say "i got some extras"

#15 User is offline   jdeegan 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Economics
    Finance
    Bridge bidding theory
    Cooking
    Downhill skiing

Posted 2007-December-27, 00:56

:) I don't like to take issue with anyone who has won a national championship, much less a world championship, but I am having difficulty seeing the logic in doubling. I have 16 HCP, but only two sure tricks against their 10 trick game. They could easily have all of the rest of the deck's high cards and KNOW IT from the bidding. Sure, LHO was under some pressure, but SO WHAT. At this juncture, his info is better than mine. More to the point, what master move is partner supposed to make after I double?

I really think the double is wrong. What does it gain compared to what does it risk?

#16 User is offline   pclayton 

Posted 2007-December-27, 12:42

jdeegan, on Dec 26 2007, 10:56 PM, said:

B) I don't like to take issue with anyone who has won a national championship, much less a world championship, but I am having difficulty seeing the logic in doubling. I have 16 HCP, but only two sure tricks against their 10 trick game. They could easily have all of the rest of the deck's high cards and KNOW IT from the bidding. Sure, LHO was under some pressure, but SO WHAT. At this juncture, his info is better than mine. More to the point, what master move is partner supposed to make after I double?

I really think the double is wrong. What does it gain compared to what does it risk?

In this case 800 versus 300 but thats another story.
"Phil" on BBO

#17 Guest_Jlall_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 2007-December-27, 18:51

jdeegan, on Dec 27 2007, 01:56 AM, said:

:P I don't like to take issue with anyone who has won a national championship, much less a world championship, but I am having difficulty seeing the logic in doubling. I have 16 HCP, but only two sure tricks against their 10 trick game. They could easily have all of the rest of the deck's high cards and KNOW IT from the bidding. Sure, LHO was under some pressure, but SO WHAT. At this juncture, his info is better than mine. More to the point, what master move is partner supposed to make after I double?

Hi, no problem to take issue with anything I say, I am wrong a lot :)

The logic is that you were bidding 4H to make, and if you couldn't make hopefully to push them around into something they can't make. A lot of people will bid 4S in this sequence on a hand they would have bid 2S on had we pass! Hands with 7 spades and short hearts, or decent hands with 6 spades and short hearts. Whether or not this is right, a lot of people ESPECIALLY experts cannot help themselves from bidding 4S over 4H. So basically 4S is very wide ranged, and most of the time they have the lower end of their range rather than a 9 trick hand. You can get them for a lot of 500s this way in my experience.

Some don't like this approach to bridge, and that's fine too. If you don't like this 4M then X strategy, I would say you should stick to not bidding 4M directly and try and describe your hand somehow so that the final decision can be left to partner. Bidding 4H then passing is the same way you'd bid 8 hearts to the KQJ and out so I think that's criminal since partner has no clue what is happening.

#18 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2007-December-27, 22:14

Jlall, on Dec 26 2007, 03:37 PM, said:

I bid 4H then X with these hands a lot and have gotten good results from it so I will continue that. The bidding problem was the round before though, if you are bidding 4H on this you are committed to Xing.

Exactly

You either double now or do something different on the previous round.

How else will partner know you dont have some crap that could be as bad as QJxxxxxx and out or similar at this vulnerability.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#19 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2007-December-27, 23:19

At these colors i like to play that X by the preemptor mean intend to bid on but with some defense just in case partner want to pass. So for me this hand is near perfect for this.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#20 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2007-December-28, 05:42

Jlall, on Dec 28 2007, 12:51 AM, said:

I am wrong a lot :rolleyes:

good. that settles it then ;)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic