Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Transfer advances

#1 User is offline   ASkolnick 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2007-December-20, 11:21

I still haven't figured out whether it is better to play advancer's bid as one round forcing or not. I think xfer advances solve this problem, but the way they handle some does not make sense to me.

I understand the SWAP and BUMP theory, but I don't see the advantage to using a SWAP compared to making it one round force, with maybe the exception of making a fit-showing non-jump.

Wouldn't the following be a little more productive over a heart overcall?

1x-1H-P- 1S (Shows either 4 spades and another suit, possibly tolerance for hearts, 6 spades or a balanced hand)
Over 1x-1H-P-1S-P
bid normally as if he had a balanced NT. If partner moves it, he has at least 4 spades and another suit. If he rebids 2S, he has 6 spades.
Over backside interference, just play a variation of support x, where dbl shows 3 or more spades, and then just find a fit.

1N shows the other minor.
2C shows Limit+
2D shows 5 card spade suit.

But what I don't know is this legal GCC? Mid-Chart? If someone could let me know it would be greatly appreciated.

#2 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2007-December-20, 11:47

ASkolnick, on Dec 20 2007, 12:21 PM, said:

Wouldn't the following be a little more productive over a heart overcall?

1x-1H-P- 1S (Shows either 4 spades and another suit, possibly tolerance for hearts, 6 spades or a balanced hand)
Over 1x-1H-P-1S-P
bid normally as if he had a balanced NT. If partner moves it, he has at least 4 spades and another suit. If he rebids 2S, he has 6 spades.

I hate 2 way bids with a passion. What do you do when opener bids 3x over 1?
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#3 User is offline   ASkolnick 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-December-20, 13:55

As for two way bids, its really no more two-way than some people play a negative double.

Haven't thought all of it yet, but it really is not that common to do so,,especially if the opener's partner is a passed hand. There is no reason you can't just assume he has the balanced hand and bid accordingly. When I say the balanced hand, I am referring to values for 1N, not 1N+. I still like 2N+ as natural.

Yes, you may lose out on the 4-4 spade fit, but you are already on the 3 level so that shouldn't matter. This is why you cannot have 5 spades for your bid.

If partner has 6 spades, he can figure out your expected value of spades by the other bids and bid accordingly. Will he occasionally get it wrong, sure, but I don't think this occurrence is very frequent.

You can play double as take same sort of action.

#4 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2007-December-20, 14:02

jdonn, on Dec 20 2007, 08:47 PM, said:

Quick question:

Do you play a forcing pass in any of your partnerships?
If so, what does pass followed by pull show?

In general, I agree with you. I typically prefer bidding structures in which a giving bid shows a single continuous set of hands. However, there are a lot of occasions where multiplexing multiple hand types into a single bid is almost a necessity.
Alderaan delenda est

#5 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8

Posted 2007-December-20, 15:08

hrothgar, on Dec 20 2007, 03:02 PM, said:

jdonn, on Dec 20 2007, 08:47 PM, said:

Quick question:

Do you play a forcing pass in any of your partnerships?
If so, what does pass followed by pull show?

In general, I agree with you. I typically prefer bidding structures in which a giving bid shows a single continuous set of hands. However, there are a lot of occasions where multiplexing multiple hand types into a single bid is almost a necessity.

I play very very few forcing passes, but of course I was simplifying. I also play 2 over 1NT is one of two hands. But this certainly doesn't seem like a time such a thing is necessary.

I disagree per negative doubles.

Nonetheless I'm not at all saying the original suggestion had no merit. But these things always have costs that I feel tend to be vastly underrated. For example the 2 bid seems very costly to me. Not only can't opener rebid 1NT any more, but he can't make any descriptive rebid like the other minor without getting very high. In fact he can't make any descriptive rebid at all besides supporting partner since even 2, which must now be a sort of default, has lost its meaning.

That is why I tend to be down on these suggestions in general.

Also I apologize for the slight hijacking since I had no comment about the legality.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#6 User is offline   ASkolnick 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-December-24, 14:41

Hey, I'm big enough to have some ideas shot down. But I actually still curious if it was legal.

This all sort of stems from should you play 1m-1M-P-2x as forcing or non-forcing by UPH? So, if somebody has a better suggestion, I am for it as well. Truthfully, its not whether its forcing or not, I have a problem with, its if its non-forcing, what do you do with a hand that is forcing? I do not like using a generic cue-bid since I think cue-bidding should really promise support, since I can see the auction getting away from you. And if you jump with that type of hand, you take up too much room.

I just noticed that with no room and the

SWAP theory, it really gains you not much and is almost as good as forcing for 1RD.

BUMP is OK, assuming you have room to do so, so I was trying to come up with a compromise

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users