Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Managing forums

#1 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2007-November-18, 14:37

In this thread, which is now locked, Jonottowa complained that "somebody" was deleting his posts. I replied that

I am not inclined, without other evidence than "my posts are disappearing" to believe that anyone with legitimate moderator powers here is maliciously or capriciously deleting posts. There could be a hacker, I suppose.

As I was writing that reply, Jon's post to which I was replying disappeared. I then attempted to reply with:

Well. It now seems I have "other evidence".

I don't agree with Jon's position on this matter or, in the main, with his rhetoric. However, I do think that if the managers of these forums don't want someone posting here, the proper method is to revoke his powers to do so, not to allow him to make posts, only to delete them.

While I was writing that, uday locked the thread. The system saved my reply, and told me the thread had been locked. So I started this thread primarily because I wanted the opinion expressed in my last quote to be available to the readers of this forum, but also to clarify that, although it seems clear now that uday was indeed deleting jon's posts, I don't believe that he did so maliciously or capriciously, but as a prelude to locking the thread. Personally, I would have locked the thread first, and then deleted or moved any inappropriate posts (including my reply to jon :) ), but perhaps that's not possible with this forum software.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#2 User is offline   uday 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2007-November-18, 14:52

Personally, I would have locked the thread first, and then deleted or moved any inappropriate posts

Yes, that would have been better :)

U

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users