Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Deja Vu A valuable lesson

#1 User is offline   luis 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2004-February-06, 06:21

Back in 1997 (yes, 7 years ago) I was training for a Juniors South American championship, our coach was probably one of the best bridge teachers in Argentina and he presented me the following deal:

Scoring: IMP

East bid spades and you reach 3NT, how do you play on the s8 lead?
I went down 1 in a snap.

7 years into the future: yesterday I was playing an IMP local game, training for the local 2004 season and the following gem appeared:

Scoring: IMP

Again east had bid spades and you reach 3NT on the simple sequence (1h-(1s)-3n) west lead the sJ, how do you play.

After seeing dummy I inmediately recalled the hand from 1997 and this time I wrote 600 and to my surprise I was one of 2 declarers from a field of 14 who made the contract. :-). Since this was clearly a valuable lesson for me it may also be a valuable lesson for some Int/Beg players reading the forum. So I invite you to solve both problems.
The legend of the black octogon.

#2 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2004-February-06, 08:52

Nice hands Luis. Since this is in the beginner/intermediate forum, I will not solve them, but they are surely worth study. The first hand is extremely similar to one from a book I read recently, not sure if it was Eric Jannersten's "The only chance" or more likely Test you play by Lucas and Rubens. Hint is to take advantage of all your chances.
--Ben--

#3 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2004-February-06, 08:55

You have only 8 tricks when you count only 4 for you length, so you need 1 trick in your minor before trying to make the tricks in your long suit.

Spoiler

EDIT: forgot it was the B/I forum. Sollution is hidden now...
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#4 User is offline   luis 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-February-06, 08:57

inquiry, on Feb 6 2004, 02:52 PM, said:

Nice hands Luis. Since this is in the beginner/intermediate forum, I will not solve them, but they are surely worth study. The first hand is extremely similar to one from a book I read recently, not sure if it was Eric Jannersten's "The only chance" or more likely Test you play by Lucas and Rubens. Hint is to take advantage of all your chances.

Thanks for your comment Ben, let's hope the BIL members post some answers, even tentative to these problems.
The first hand might actually be from a book since it was the hand that my coach used so it's a "problem" hand. The 2nd one was just played yesterday at a local tournament. Sometimes you think that "book" hands never show up in real life and there it was a perfect hand for bridgemaster level 2 or 3 :-)

Thanks also for not solving them, they are very easy for you :-)). I wonder why at the table many experts went down. My poor opponents were devastated, they lost 13 imps without doing anything wrong.

#5 User is offline   luis 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-February-06, 08:59

Free, on Feb 6 2004, 02:55 PM, said:

You have only 8 tricks when you count only 4 for you length, so you need 1 trick in your minor before trying to make the tricks in your long suit.

Spoiler

Excellent tip Free, now let's see if some BIL member solves both problems.

#6 User is offline   Trpltrbl 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sailing, cooking, bonsaitrees.

Posted 2004-February-06, 15:33

I will send you the answers Luis, since I can't post them here.

Mike :D
“If there is dissatisfaction with the status quo, good. If there is ferment,
so much the better. If there is restlessness, I am pleased. Then let there
be ideas, and hard thought, and hard work.”

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users