BBO Discussion Forums: you want the flashy new toy early? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

you want the flashy new toy early? you pays for it...

#1 User is offline   matmat 

• ded
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2007-October-03, 05:49

a few months back the iphone came out. i remember there was quite a bit of excitement about it and people lining up to be the first ones to get it. i suspect a lot of it was the "i want to be the first one on the block to have one" factor.

a short time later, apple slashed the price of the phone by something like $200. now these first owners are really disgruntled...

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/TECH/10/02/app...ref=mpstoryview

i dunno... to me it seems if you wanted it that bad, you must have been willing to shell out the cash. now deal with it...

#2 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-October-03, 06:05

I've heard that the early buyers get $100 back. Anyway, being the first one in the whole hi-school to own an iPhone earns you eternal fame, $200 is not much for that.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2007-October-04, 19:38

You can only get the $100 back if you bought the 8GB model, since that's the one they cut the price of. The woman filing the lawsuit bought the 4GB model, which Apple has simply discontinued. It appears that the basis of her complaint is that the new price of the 8GB model is $100 less than what she paid for the 4GB model. This hurts the resale value of her model, because people can buy the bigger model for less.

Here's another article that explores her twisted motivation:

http://www.news.com/...9787517-37.html

#4 User is offline   Gerben42 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Astronomy, Mathematics
    Nuclear power

Posted 2007-October-05, 00:46

At the time when she bought it she didn't think it was too expensive, if she wins this someone has really lost his/her mind.

By the way, why would I want an iPhone? Or any fancy "phone" that does 100 different things, one of which happens to be a telephone. My mobile phone has a 2-line text display, that's more than enough.
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!
My Bridge Systems Page

BC Kultcamp Rieneck

#5 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2007-October-05, 03:22

Gerben42, on Oct 5 2007, 08:46 AM, said:

At the time when she bought it she didn't think it was too expensive, if she wins this someone has really lost his/her mind.

By the way, why would I want an iPhone? Or any fancy "phone" that does 100 different things, one of which happens to be a telephone. My mobile phone has a 2-line text display, that's more than enough.

For the same reason as why you want brand jeans, and a nose ring. FWIW my mobile phone can make phonecalls and wake me up, and that's it.

Btw, is this lawsuit a joke? Most of the electronic gadgets I bought, I could get cheaper and better a few months later. That's the normal thing.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#6 User is offline   matmat 

• ded
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-October-05, 03:58

helene_t, on Oct 5 2007, 04:22 AM, said:

Btw, is this lawsuit a joke? Most of the electronic gadgets I bought, I could get cheaper and better a few months later. That's the normal thing.

i think it is only a joke in so much that the courts will toss it out... but i do believe it has been filed and all that

#7 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2007-October-05, 04:20

barmar, on Oct 5 2007, 01:38 AM, said:

You can only get the $100 back if you bought the 8GB model, since that's the one they cut the price of. The woman filing the lawsuit bought the 4GB model, which Apple has simply discontinued. It appears that the basis of her complaint is that the new price of the 8GB model is $100 less than what she paid for the 4GB model. This hurts the resale value of her model, because people can buy the bigger model for less.

Here's another article that explores her twisted motivation:

http://www.news.com/...9787517-37.html

I have my 2x86 somewhere, will they give me back the 1000$ or so I payed for it because there si a better model for less price now? :)

#8 User is offline   Gerben42 

Nuclear power

Posted 2007-October-05, 05:19

How much does the lawsuit cost her when (not if) she loses?
My Bridge Systems Page

BC Kultcamp Rieneck

#9 User is offline   matmat 

• ded
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-October-05, 05:29

Gerben42, on Oct 5 2007, 06:19 AM, said:

no clue. probably not enough.

#10 User is offline   Gerben42 

Nuclear power

Posted 2007-October-05, 05:32

I suggest she gets an Appeal Without Merit penalty of $1000 or so.
My Bridge Systems Page

BC Kultcamp Rieneck

#11 User is offline   matmat 

• ded
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-October-05, 05:54

nah.
just dangle some new expensive toy in front of her nose and she'll forget all about it drooling over this new widget.

#12 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2007-October-05, 06:30

Gerben42, on Oct 5 2007, 01:19 PM, said:

As I understand it, in the US you don't automatically pay all the lawsuit costs when you lose. This is very different from Europe, where it usually doesn't cost you to win a lawsuit because the loser will pay your lawyer.

#13 User is offline   jtfanclub 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-October-05, 11:51

helene_t, on Oct 5 2007, 07:30 AM, said:

Gerben42, on Oct 5 2007, 01:19 PM, said:

As I understand it, in the US you don't automatically pay all the lawsuit costs when you lose. This is very different from Europe, where it usually doesn't cost you to win a lawsuit because the loser will pay your lawyer.

Just another thing Europe has that the US should copy.

It's very common to buy a a new car, say an '07 Buick, and find that you could have bought it for thousands cheaper if you had waited for the '08s to come out.

#14 User is offline   Gerben42 

Nuclear power

Posted 2007-October-05, 12:32

Small cars is another thing. I noticed that in the US people have HUGE cars. I wouldn't think of buying such a big car, wouldn't be able to park it anywhere but even if I could.
My Bridge Systems Page

BC Kultcamp Rieneck

#15 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2007-October-06, 23:34

jtfanclub, on Oct 5 2007, 01:51 PM, said:

It's very common to buy a a new car, say an '07 Buick, and find that you could have bought it for thousands cheaper if you had waited for the '08s to come out.

The same thing happens with computers when a new model comes out -- the old models suddenly drop in price so that they can clear out the old inventory.

But Apple didn't come out with a new model of iPhone, they just dropped the price by 33%. And the 08's don't come out until a year after the 07's, but Apple did this just 2 or 3 months after the iPhone came out.

Apple's price change was definitely unusual, but I don't think it violated any laws.

#16 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2007-October-07, 03:07

Hmm. As I understand it, as long as you don't agree with a competitor to fix prices, surely you can charge whatever you like for your product? If you charge too much, you won't sell as many as you would like, and if you charge too little, you won't make any profit.

Isn't that the whole idea of a free market economy?

Lets assume you have a market trader, selling strawberries. He charges £1.50 (approx $3) for a punnet one week. Next week he decides he could sell more if he charges £1.25, so lowers his price]

A strawberry eating customer decides to sue the market trader for "lost resale value".

I think that sums up how ridiculous this case is.

#17 User is offline   matmat 

• ded
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-October-07, 04:01

i think the law suit is really all about lost status.

she went from bragging:
"oh look, i've got this really expensive flashy phone"
to
"oh look, i've got this moderately expensive not so new anymore phone"

#18 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2007-October-07, 04:20

I have seen enough bizarre rulings come out of the courts not to go into print with predictions
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#19 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2007-October-08, 13:53

mr1303, on Oct 7 2007, 05:07 AM, said:

Hmm. As I understand it, as long as you don't agree with a competitor to fix prices, surely you can charge whatever you like for your product? If you charge too much, you won't sell as many as you would like, and if you charge too little, you won't make any profit.

It's not that simple. From http://en.wikipedia....edatory_pricing

Predatory pricing (also known as destroyer pricing) is the practice of a firm selling a product at very low price with the intent of driving competitors out of the market, or create a barrier to entry into the market for potential new competitors. If the other firms cannot sustain equal or lower prices without losing money, they go out of business. The predatory pricer then has fewer competitors or even a monopoly, allowing it to raise prices above what the market would otherwise bear.

In many countries, including the United States, predatory pricing is considered anti-competitive and is illegal under antitrust laws.

I'm not saying that Apple is doing this, but you can't just set prices however, you feel, either. A big company like Apple can afford to sell one product at a loss for a while, subsidizing it with the revenues from other products; small competitors don't have that cushion.

BTW, strawberries don't have any resale value to begin with, so they can't lose it. However, a rich farmer can't sell his strawberries below cost just so he can coerce all the small farmers to sell their land to him.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users