Recent movies reviews/recommendations/warnings

#421 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-June-09, 23:45

Already did. And I agree. :)
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#422 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-27, 22:36

I strongly suspect no one else on bbf would enjoy it at all, but This is the End is amazing
OK
bed

#423 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2013-June-27, 23:41

View Postjjbrr, on 2013-June-27, 22:36, said:

I strongly suspect no one else on bbf would enjoy it at all, but This is the End is amazing

Saw it..it was ok but far from amazing...

Bling ring 3.5 stars out of 4.....ya it sounds like a stupid movie about teens with vacant eyes but it is well made and I recommend it.

Before Midnight 3 stars out of 4.....I guess I was hoping for something more than a movie long argument between this couple.

Up this weekend is the brad pitt zombie movie and the Sandra bullock cop movie and season 7(2012) of Dexter.

-------------

With the year half over my fav movie of the year so far is fast and furious 6....action...funny and lots of fun.

What is your favorite movie of 2013 so far?

#424 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2013-June-28, 03:57

In my entire life, I have only walked out on one movie (The film version of Strangers with Candy)
This is the End was almost that bad...

For what its worth, I really like SUperbad and stoner comedy, however, this was awful on so many levels.
Alderaan delenda est

#425 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-28, 11:29

View Posthrothgar, on 2013-June-28, 03:57, said:

In my entire life, I have only walked out on one movie (The film version of Strangers with Candy)

For what its worth, I really like SUperbad and stoner comedy, however, this was awful on so many levels.

A bit like that disaster movie about being stuck in an elevator
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#426 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-28, 12:14

View Posthrothgar, on 2013-June-28, 03:57, said:

Wrong.

TitE > Superbad >> Ted
OK
bed

#427 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-28, 12:23

McLovin and Cera were funnier in TitE and they had like 3 seconds on screen
OK
bed

#428 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2013-June-28, 17:04

Saw Much Ado About Nothing last night. I'm normally not a fan of Shakespeare adaptations set in modern times, however, this time things really worked. There were a lot of really good performances, with Duke Leonardo stealing the show. Whedon obviously gave a lot of thought to things (for example, most of the characters were drinking heavily throughout the movie because Whedon said this was the best way to explain things). For me, the part of the performance that will stick with me longest is the following song which really captures the feel of the movie.

Alderaan delenda est

#429 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2013-August-19, 04:46

Elysium was pretty awesome (with the usual caveat of too much action and the normal consequences thereof). Agent Kruger is one nasty mother*****r. brrr
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#430 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2013-August-19, 05:27

Went to see KickAss 2.

I enjoyed it very much although some of the critics didn't.

To me it had all the things I enjoyed in the first movie, with some of the "Hit girl growing up" stuff being quite well done. The criticism that it was "2 separate movies" (KickAss/Hit Girl) was probably valid, but given the source material, (2 separate comics) I was expecting that.

Difficult to go into more serious discussion without spoiling the movie, but there's a hand held device that would have made one of my last days at work a lot more fun and the scene after the end credits does add something.

#431 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-20, 01:09

I liked it (This is the End) a lot.

Elysium was average-plus, but felt like it could have been better, something missing.

I didn't enjoy KickAss 2 as much as the first. I thought it was uneven with parts that were good, but parts that dragged.

I liked the Spectacular Now (although not as much as (500) Days of Summer by same writers).

Lee Daniel's The Butler was pretty good. I'm still amazed how recent past is a bunch of civil rights events.

I enjoyed The Way, Way Back. I thought that was a pretty great coming of age movie that is funny and touching and all that. That might be my favorite movie of the year so far.

Fruitvale station was affecting and quite good. You know what's going to happen, but still keeps you interested.

Wolverine was better than the last Wolverine movie (which was horrid), but I think X-Men work better as a group/team.

Pacific Rim was surprisingly decent.

Despicable Me 2 was great.

#432 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2013-August-20, 03:44

I have high hope's for The World's End

Then again, I felt the same about Kick Ass 2 and the reviews for that were so scathing that I steered a wide berth...
Alderaan delenda est

#433 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2013-September-11, 02:32

What did y'all think of Jobs? It didn't impress me too much, although it's of course nice to see these really old computers in action. Yes, he was a very motivated man who was a perfectionist. We get it! I respect that work ethic very much but I was hoping to find out a bit more about him, is that too much to ask for? His disputes with the management that forced him out of the company were also poorly developed (if he really did design several extremely expensive models that didn't sell, isn't it fully justified to sack him?) as was his "vindication" thereafter.
      George Carlin

#434 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-11, 03:30

View Postgwnn, on 2013-September-11, 02:32, said:

What did y'all think of Jobs? It didn't impress me too much, although it's of course nice to see these really old computers in action. Yes, he was a very motivated man who was a perfectionist. We get it! I respect that work ethic very much but I was hoping to find out a bit more about him, is that too much to ask for? His disputes with the management that forced him out of the company were also poorly developed (if he really did design several extremely expensive models that didn't sell, isn't it fully justified to sack him?) as was his "vindication" thereafter.

I agree that there was a lot more potential there than was developed. In particular, his return to Apple wasn't really covered at all, nor was his reconciliation with girl friend and kid, nor was his "alternative" treatment to his cancer at the end.

Kutcher did look fairly similar to Jobs in a number of ages, and they captured the combination of energy, passion, and being a jerk. I know some people who knew very little about Jobs so were surprised by how much of a jerk he was.

#435 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2013-September-11, 05:24

View PostCyberyeti, on 2013-August-19, 05:27, said:

Went to see KickAss 2.

I enjoyed it very much although some of the critics didn't.

To me it had all the things I enjoyed in the first movie, with some of the "Hit girl growing up" stuff being quite well done. The criticism that it was "2 separate movies" (KickAss/Hit Girl) was probably valid, but given the source material, (2 separate comics) I was expecting that.

Difficult to go into more serious discussion without spoiling the movie, but there's a hand held device that would have made one of my last days at work a lot more fun and the scene after the end credits does add something.

there was a scene after the credits? gotta go watch it. I loved the movie BTW.

#436 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2013-September-11, 05:31

View PostFluffy, on 2013-September-11, 05:24, said:

there was a scene after the credits? gotta go watch it. I loved the movie BTW.

I found the movie amusing. Not great, but no where near as bad as the critics lead one to believe.

Didn't stay past the credits. Please let me know what happened.
Alderaan delenda est

#437 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2013-September-11, 05:59

View Posthrothgar, on 2013-September-11, 05:31, said:

I found the movie amusing. Not great, but no where near as bad as the critics lead one to believe.

Didn't stay past the credits. Please let me know what happened.

Spoiler

#438 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-30, 20:44

20 Directors to Watch - Manohla Dargis and A. O. Scott, film critics for The New York Times, discuss 20 young international filmmakers.

Filmmakers around the world are making movies that blur the boundaries between documentary and fiction, personal reflection and social advocacy, conventional narrative and radical experimentation. The oldest filmmakers on our list were born in 1973, on the eve of the home-video revolution, making them members of the first true on-demand generation. They have grown up with unprecedented access to movies from across the globe and from different epochs, an abundance of influences that informs their work and can make it difficult to pigeonhole them aesthetically or regionally.

Sebastián Silva is a Chilean who lives in Brooklyn (Fort Greene), as do the Nashville-born Dee Rees and the Dallas-born Terence Nance (both Bedford-Stuyvesant). Benh Zeitlin is a native New Yorker living and working in New Orleans. Lixin Fan is a naturalized Canadian citizen who makes documentaries in China, the country of his birth. Sarah Polley is a well-known actress, with a long résumé of Hollywood and indie credits, who lives and shoots her movies in Canada. Na Hong-Jin is a South Korean who doesn’t speak English and whose last movie was partly bankrolled by an American studio. The sensibilities of these filmmakers are in some cases intensely local, but their work over all also reflects the cosmopolitanism of transnational financing, the international festival circuit and a shrinking world.

more
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#439 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2013-October-06, 16:29

Gravity - WOW. Best 3D film ever by far...
      George Carlin

#440 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2013-October-07, 00:05

View Postgwnn, on 2013-October-06, 16:29, said:

Gravity - WOW. Best 3D film ever by far...

saw my first and only bad review....
rest of reviews rave.

3 characters...they float in space....boring....

look forward to seeing it later this week ...but then I will see Machete kills and Enough Said. so...oh well... ")

• 32 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users