Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Balancing Against A Strong NT Balancing Against A Strong NT

#1 User is offline   pbleighton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2004-January-31, 18:57

Playing against a 15-17 NT, what is the best way to defend against 1NT-P-P-?, and P-1NT-P-P-? (if different). Assume you play DONT (or something similar) in the direct seat, for the purposes of the discussion.
1) Should you play DONT in the balancing seat as well, or should you do something else?
2) What sort of hands would you balance with, which you would pass with in the direct seat?
3) How much difference does vulnerability and scoring make?

Peter

#2 User is offline   keylime 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: FD TEAM
  • Interests:Motorsports, cricket, disc golf, and of course - bridge. :-)

Posted 2004-January-31, 21:29

pbleighton, on Feb 1 2004, 03:57 AM, said:

Playing against a 15-17 NT, what is the best way to defend against 1NT-P-P-?, and P-1NT-P-P-? (if different). Assume you play DONT (or something similar) in the direct seat, for the purposes of the discussion.
1) Should you play DONT in the balancing seat as well, or should you do something else?
2) What sort of hands would you balance with, which you would pass with in the direct seat?
3) How much difference does vulnerability and scoring make?

Peter

Good question. A lot of this is a matter of style and pard agreement. For my pard and I, we crash anything that moves so we didn't bid means we got values in 2nd seat.

1. Vulnerability to me means a lot. If NV it might be your hand to take. VUL, have a little more shape and working values. Kings aren't that great but aces and quacks with intermediates are. Why Kings devalued, because ace are behind them normaly, not that great.

2. I'd balance to try to win the hand NV, stick to the 5-4 shape too.

3. I'd pass with no shape, no working values. Pard's got a monster behind declarer and you may take a double to risk getting a 500. If I got values as 4th seat, bid carefully, you're in a finessible position.

4. Scoring I think matters. MPS, definitely bidding more. IMPs, take the sure plus, don't get into an ugly affair.

"Champions aren't made in gyms, champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. " - M. Ali

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users