BBO Discussion Forums: Happy or unhappy - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Happy or unhappy

Poll: What's your emotion when forced to open a weak suit? (33 member(s) have cast votes)

What's your emotion when forced to open a weak suit?

1. Happy as it might deter the killing lead (7 votes [21.21%])

Percentage of vote: 21.21%

2. Unhappy that it might be misleading partner (13 votes [39.39%])

Percentage of vote: 39.39%

3. I never have any emotion at the bridge table (13 votes [39.39%])

Percentage of vote: 39.39%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   EricK 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2007-August-08, 14:02

Lets say you have a balanced hand outside your NT range and your systemic opening happens to be on a weak 3 card suit.

Are you happy because eg if you get to 3NT, LHO will be deterred from leading your weak suit? Or are you unhappy because as the auction progresses partner will have the wrong idea of where your strength lies? Or does this sort of thought never occur to you?

#2 User is offline   pclayton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-August-08, 14:09

Always happy. When it matters, we play 3N and LHO is sometimes deterred from leading the suit.

By the way, always be happy at the table. Its OK to show emotion :)
"Phil" on BBO

#3 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2007-August-08, 14:23

If I'm declarer in an uncontested 3N, I am, almost by definition, happy. I love playing 3N.... ok, I love playing almost all contracts :ph34r:

I get unhappy only when they run the suit I opened :)
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#4 User is offline   Apollo81 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-August-08, 16:45

I am usually pleased. No doubt you've seen "worse minor" done deliberately.

#5 Guest_Jlall_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 2007-August-08, 16:48

You guys are really happy to open with xxx????? WOW!

Yes obv if we are going to get to 3N we are happy but the post didnt specify that. I am always unhappy to open a xxx as it gets us off to a bad start if the auction will turn competitive and gets a potentially bad defense if we defend.

#6 User is offline   Double ! 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:My personal interests are my family and my friends. I am extremely concerned about the lives and futures of the kids (and their families) that I work with. I care about the friends I have made on BBO. Also, I am extremely concerned about the environment/ ecology/ wildlife/ the little planet that we call Earth. How much more of the world's habitat and food supply for animals do we plan on destroying. How many more wetlands are we going to drain, fill, and build on? How many more sand dunes are we going to knock down in the interests of high-rise hotels or luxury homes?

Posted 2007-August-08, 17:23

I am usually unhappy when a system forces me to open an xxx suit (except for precision or the ilk) unless i have extra values, especially when the opps pre-empt and my partner is sitting with a decent hand but has no clue whether or not my bid suit is legitimate. I have seen many situation where opener has been forced by system to open an xxx minor suit while holding 4-4 in the majors, and interference by the opps have resulted in an impossible situation for responder. It also makes it more difficult for responder to assess the combined assets of the two hands should you bid a non-existent suit.

DHL
"That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!"

#7 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-August-08, 17:25

Definitely unhappy in general. Even when we reach 3NT we might now be in a bad contract that may or may not make depending on whether we detered the lead, whereas the correct contract would always make. Also it leads to lots of random guesses in the auction, even by the player that opened the bad suit. Like say you are 4423 with xxx of clubs.

1 p 1 p
2 p 3NT p

Do you pass? Do you pull? It can't be anything more than a guess.

I actually view it as a sign of my development as a bridge player over time that my glee about opening in suits like xxx deteriorated through the years.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#8 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2007-August-08, 18:26

I voted no emotion since everybody will be in the same situation. But when I was in Coventry, a lot of the times I knew that the field would open a weak 1NT and that made me slightly unhappy in first seat, nonvulnerable.

Playing Precision with real diamonds I'm unhappy when I hold a balnced 12-point with a decent club suit which the field can open while I have to pass. But most of the times I'm happy. Like most players of non-standard systems I'm convinced that my system is superior, lol.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#9 User is offline   pclayton 

Posted 2007-August-08, 19:24

jdonn, on Aug 8 2007, 03:25 PM, said:

Definitely unhappy in general. Even when we reach 3NT we might now be in a bad contract that may or may not make depending on whether we detered the lead, whereas the correct contract would always make. Also it leads to lots of random guesses in the auction, even by the player that opened the bad suit. Like say you are 4423 with xxx of clubs.

1 p 1 p
2 p 3NT p

Do you pass? Do you pull? It can't be anything more than a guess.

I actually view it as a sign of my development as a bridge player over time that my glee about opening in suits like xxx deteriorated through the years.

Or they misguess the honors in your hand. Or we steal their suit. Or they misguess the total tricks based on our 'length.

Whats the alternative? 4 card majors?
"Phil" on BBO

#10 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8

Posted 2007-August-08, 22:49

True it creates more guesses for both sides. Lets just open 3 on every hand then, merry guessing. If it's such a good situation anyway, why don't experts just open their minors completely randomly on all balanced hands?

I never said a solution is needed, but actually almost any system except standard is a solution. 4 card majors are a solution. Precision is a solution (since 1 doesn't really show that suit at all, partner won't erroneously assume you have it). Weak notrumps are a solution (since you open suits less often on balanced hands, and when you do your suit is generally stronger since your hand is stronger).

There is actually one situation where I like to open a weak minor. But since I don't even think my partners know what it is, and it works better when no one knows, I'm not divulging :)
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#11 User is offline   skjaeran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, sports, Sci-fi, fantasy

Posted 2007-August-09, 11:00

I'm happy to open on xxx, since that will always be 1, and playing a T-Walsh variation I'm mostly off to a better auction than the field. :)
Often we have autcions not revealing our minor suit lenghts and holdings, making it difficult for opps to evaluate our number of tricks (we open 1 on 11-14 and 3-3-5-2 for example). Of course on occasion they guess to lead 's when the suit is open or only once stopped, but just as often it's the other way around.
Kind regards,
Harald

#12 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2007-August-09, 11:26

Lots of things happen at the bridge table that can make me happy or unhappy. Most importantly, I hate it when I'm playing badly and I love it when partner and I are playing our best game. I don't think I get warm or cold from opening on xxx.

On a less literal note, I prefer to have the suit I open, especially when the auction turns competitive.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#13 User is offline   TimG 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-August-09, 11:54

EricK, on Aug 8 2007, 03:02 PM, said:

Are you happy because eg if you get to 3NT, LHO will be deterred from leading your weak suit? Or are you unhappy because as the auction progresses partner will have the wrong idea of where your strength lies?

I am happier when I am playing a system that allows me to open the bidding in suits where I have strength and/or length rather than open in a "convenient" suit.

#14 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

Posted 2007-August-09, 16:07

The 3rd option.

I have emotions at the table, but I dont
have emotions if it comes to systemic bids.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#15 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2007-August-10, 03:45

P_Marlowe, on Aug 9 2007, 11:07 PM, said:

I have emotions at the table, but I dont have emotions if it comes to systemic bids.

Same here, system = system. If it goes wrong, nothing much you can do about it...

For example, if you catch 500 after a weak NT opposite a partscore, well that's lots of imps down the drain. But we know that when the auction goes 1NT-3NT opps make lots of mistakes by leading the wrong suit, and we can catch up. So it all balances out and we don't care.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#16 User is offline   awm 

Posted 2007-August-10, 10:28

I'm always pretty happy when (playing a strong club) I open 1 with two or fewer diamonds. This is because a lot of people's defensive methods seem to make it hard for them to get into the auction (for example playing 2 as michaels cue, or double as "takeout of diamonds"). This is to such a degree that I'll probably open 1 a point lighter with short diamonds than with length!

Then again, I suppose the situation described in the post is not exactly analogous.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users