Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Galactic TG

#1 User is offline   pclayton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2007-August-08, 14:01

Played with a new partner last night. The debut was in a team game that included Melih Ozdil, Mark Lair, John Swanson, Jim Tritt and Farid Assemi.

No pressure :)

Here's a few of the interesting decisions:

v/v: Ax, AKQTxx, Jxxx, 10. 1 by you, 1N (forcing I believe by pard) to you?

v/not: Axx KQ6xx xx xxx. 1 on left, 1 on right, 1N on left, 2 on right (puppet to 2 - either non invitational diamonds with longer diamonds than spades, or some invite). LHO bids 2 and RHO passes. Do you balance?

nv/v: AQxx, xx, x, AJ98xx. Pard opens 2 in 2nd (mini-multi - 2-7 hcp and frequently a 5 bagger at these colors). You respond 2 (pass/correct) and he surpises you with a 2 call. RHO now doubles (TO of spades). Your call?

v/v, 2nd seat: AKQx Kx AKJxx J9. Your plan?

nv/v: 1st chair: Txx, xx, Axx, K7xxx. Pard opens 1 in 3rd (note: from experience playing against your pard, you know this can be on just about anything). You bid a SF 1N and LHO doubles. Pass, pass to you. Your call?
"Phil" on BBO

#2 User is offline   keylime 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: FD TEAM
  • Interests:Motorsports, cricket, disc golf, and of course - bridge. :-)

Posted 2007-August-08, 14:09

1. 3D, followed by hearts. (Yes Arend, it was intended :) - 3 is alluring too more I think about it).
2. Depends on state of match for me.
3. 4S. Let 'em figure out what to do at the five level.
4. Open 1D, reverse into spades over a heart response. Then again, I don't open offshape 2NT's.
5. Ouch. Probably runout to 2C knowing that I will have at least a doubleton over there. Then again....
"Champions aren't made in gyms, champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. " - M. Ali

#3 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2007-August-08, 14:19

1. 2D followed by hearts. (Dwayne, is 3D a typo??)
2. No.
3. 4S.
4. 1D, hopefully followed by a jumpshift to spades.
5. 2.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#4 User is online   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2007-August-08, 14:20

1. 3: light on hcp, ignores diamonds, but right on playing strength (LTC of 5 and that 10).

2. Pass. LHO didn't deny 4s, not fighting for a partscore at this heat when this could be ugly our way if wrong.

3. 4. Tough one. I was tempted to bid 4 to involve partner, the bid could hardly be misunderstood. But we have the boss suit, and we are always going to 4. I think the issue is to minimize the chance that they will bid 5, and 4 by me tells the opps too much... and it's not as if they are deaf. I will regret my decision if they bid 5. Heck, maybe I should be bidding only 3! Then I allow myself to be pushed to game....? I don't think that would work, and, besides, +170 won't be a good score.

4. 1 then 2. Hand is both wrong shape and too strong/weak to open 2N or 2. I've been +170 before.. heck, I've been +190.. but I won't be here.

5. Pass. RHO is loaded in hearts, so maybe I should run to 2, but that's a trick higher on a bad suit, and I'm not entirely broke. Maybe I'll get a nice dummy (ok, call me an optimist!).
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#5 User is offline   ArtK78 

• Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2007-August-08, 14:51

1) 3. 5 loser hand, clear to jump with such a good suit. The chance that playing in diamonds is superior to hearts is remote, and a 3 call would be a misrepresentation of my hand.

2) No. Partner has had two chances to enter the auction, once over the 1 opening bid and again over the 1NT rebid. It is clear that we do not have a game if he could not enter the auction over 1. So I do not see what a balance here would accomplish, other than risk going for a number when the opponents do not seem to have a fit.

3) There are several possibilities here. One is to bid 3 to get a club lead from partner, with the intention of bidding 4 at your next opportunity. Another is to just bid 4 now. And a third possibility is to bid 4, intending to show clubs and spades and then leaving it to partner whether to bid on later (I still intend to bid 4 if given the opportunity).

I am torn between the 4 bid and the immediate bash to 4. I suspect that I would choose 4 at the table, but either could be right.

4) 1 followed by 2. This hand is suit oriented and I want to give partner every chance to show a fit so we can explore for the best game or slam.

5) 2. What's the problem?

#6 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-August-08, 16:05

pclayton, on Aug 8 2007, 03:01 PM, said:

Played with a new partner last night. The debut was in a team game that included Melih Ozdil, Mark Lair, John Swanson, Jim Tritt and Farid Assemi.

No pressure :)

Here's a few of the interesting decisions:

v/v: Ax, AKQTxx, Jxxx, 10. 1 by you, 1N (forcing I believe by pard) to you?

v/not: Axx KQ6xx xx xxx. 1 on left, 1 on right, 1N on left, 2 on right (puppet to 2 - either non invitational diamonds with longer diamonds than spades, or some invite). LHO bids 2 and RHO passes. Do you balance?

nv/v: AQxx, xx, x, AJ98xx. Pard opens 2 in 2nd (mini-multi - 2-7 hcp and frequently a 5 bagger at these colors). You respond 2 (pass/correct) and he surpises you with a 2 call. RHO now doubles (TO of spades). Your call?

v/v, 2nd seat: AKQx Kx AKJxx J9. Your plan?

nv/v: 1st chair: Txx, xx, Axx, K7xxx. Pard opens 1 in 3rd (note: from experience playing against your pard, you know this can be on just about anything). You bid a SF 1N and LHO doubles. Pass, pass to you. Your call?

Ok with a new partner
1) 2H, easy no problem yet. I do not open on junk with a new partner.
2) No. I am not a good enough player to balance in this game.
3) 4S
4) 1D followed by 2s.
5) Pass

#7 User is offline   pbleighton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-August-08, 16:14

1. 2D followed by hearts. (Dwayne, is 3D a typo??)
2. No.
3. 4S.
4. 1D, hopefully followed by a jumpshift to spades.
5. 2♣.

Agree.

Peter

#8 Guest_Jlall_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 2007-August-08, 16:29

1) 2D.
2) hell yeah
3) 4S, hate to say it but wtp? I think anything else is terrible. 4C enables them to bid 4red so sucks.
4) 1D, I will JS into spades.
5) 2C, I have no desire to play 1N X on a heart through. Partner rates to be flat so I have a good chance of buying a fit and getting out of this mess.

#9 Guest_Jlall_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 2007-August-08, 16:30

mikeh, on Aug 8 2007, 03:20 PM, said:

5. Pass... Maybe I'll get a nice dummy (ok, call me an optimist!).

Pard is white/red in third and the opps have elected to crack you off in 1N, good luck with this :)

#10 User is offline   Apollo81 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-August-08, 16:56

In order of least difficult decision to most difficult decision, for me:

3/4. 4/1.
5. 2. I don't want to get raped in 1NT, thank you.
2. Pass. Too dangerous.
1. 3, since I have the 10. I'd rather play a 6-1 heart fit than a 4-3 diamond fit here, so 2 is out.

#11 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2007-August-08, 22:52

1- 2 i can live with 3 but 3 is sick.

2-2 its hard for them to X me.

3- 4 easy anything else is bad

4- 1 followed by 2 anything else is bad

5- Pass, but im not used to opening with balanced crap. So maybe 2 is better.

Easy set of problems except for 5 an very rare situation in wich my chance of making 4 trick are not so good but partner rate to be 3532 so 2 isnt a improvement.

PS i would like to see the 5th hand and the result.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#12 User is offline   Echognome 

• Deipnosophist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-August-09, 03:00

1. abstain
2. abstain
3. abstain
4. abstain
5. abstain

I should stop watching these matches...
"Half the people you know are below average." - Steven Wright

#13 User is offline   lowerline 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2007-August-09, 04:09

1. 3. This is too good for 2 and the diamonds aren't worth mentioning.
2. Pass. A clear pass at these colors.
3. 4. Don't give it away by bidding 4.
4. 1, then reversing into is my preference, but I don't object a 2NT opening.
5. 2. Maybe I'm lucky...

Steven

#14 User is offline   Foxx 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Being quick, brown, and foxy; Jumping over lazy dogs

Posted 2007-August-09, 06:43

Agree with Jlall on all points.

#15 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-August-09, 06:56

1. 2, could be wrong on some hands but at least my partner knows I almost always bid this way.

2. Yes :).

3. 4S.

4. 1 followed by 2, but I'm not as opposed to opening 2C (followed by 2NT) as most others seem.

5. This is bad news, I'd bid 2C.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#16 User is offline   pclayton 

Posted 2007-August-09, 08:51

1. Teammates held this. Player in question bid 3 and his pard bid 3N on: K9xx xKQTxx Jxx, and this hand PASSED (sympathy or not?)(note: it might have started 1 - 1 now that I think about it). 4 is good, 5 is good and 3N is abysmal.

But our counterparts let it in on a spade lead, declarer tested hearts (4-2), and went after diamonds. The club suit ended up getting blocked; just a genius board all around in the bidding, play and defense.

2. I balanced with 2. LHO did have AJTx of hearts but didn't find the double (its probably -1, but any misstep allows me to make). RHO advanced to 3 which we beat. Win 4.

3. I bid 4. 4 occurred to me afterward, but I'm not getting a lot of support for the call. Pard had: KJxxx Txx QTxx x. Clubs are 4-2, and unfortunately they led a trump, so he was -1. Lose 5 against 4 going down? No!

At the other table the bidding started p - p - 1 - 2 with my hand. Negative double on left, pass, PASS with: x Q9xx AKJx KTxx. -1 and a very strange push.

4. I held this hand and the auction went 1 - 1N - 2 - 3 (undiscussed) - 3 - 3N. Pard held: xx Jxx Txx KQ8xx. Hearts were 6-2 with AT on his right and the Q was off. -300 which pushed with the other table.

5. I pulled to 2. Pass, pass, RHO bid 4. RHO held the hand in problem #1 above. 1N x'd isn't bad - it goes for only -300. With partner appearing to be balanced or semi-balanced, 2 seemed to be safest, although pass wins you 8 for strange reasons.
"Phil" on BBO

#17 User is offline   skjaeran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, sports, Sci-fi, fantasy

Posted 2007-August-09, 12:03

Jlall, on Aug 9 2007, 12:29 AM, said:

1) 2D.
2) hell yeah
3) 4S, hate to say it but wtp? I think anything else is terrible. 4C enables them to bid 4red so sucks.
4) 1D, I will JS into spades.
5) 2C, I have no desire to play 1N X on a heart through. Partner rates to be flat so I have a good chance of buying a fit and getting out of this mess.

Agree.
Kind regards,
Harald

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users