Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Internet and tv

#1 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2007-August-06, 18:49

What is the holdup with the internet not being on our big screen tv's at a cheap price?

It would be nice to have bbo on tv.
download movies to our tv
etc

#2 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2007-August-06, 19:42

Homeland Security would love this because the T.V. already has a built in V-chip. ;)
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#3 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2007-August-07, 00:51

It's not practical to build a cpu and flash memory and/or hardisk into a TV because those components get outdated faster than the display. Better to buy a TV set that can be used as a computer display, or use your computer screen for TV.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#4 User is offline   Quantumcat 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Archery, classical guitar, piano, watercolour painting, programming, french

Posted 2007-August-07, 04:15

Plug your laptop into your television, and use a wireless keyboard and mouse. Voila: internet on the TV (a friend of mine plays her computer games and surfs the internet like this).
I Transfers

#5 Guest_Jlall_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 2007-August-07, 04:58

yeah in my new house our big screen in the living room is hooked up to a computer so everyone always plays poker on the TV lol.

#6 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2007-August-07, 05:01

For what its worth, I agree on this one

I wish that one of the consumer electronics manufacturers would recognize that what people really want is the ability to watch stuff, NOT a TV or a monitor or a what have you. Its worth noting that this type of model would require a pretty significant chance in the way a number of different devices are manufactured. For example, right now, a TV contains both a display and one or more tuners that are bundled together in the same hardware. In the brave new world, you'd purchase your tuner and screen separately and then link them together with some kind of high speed bus. (Essentially, we'd be returning back to modular stereo systems where you can mix and match a receiver, a turn table, speakers, etc)

One of these days...
Alderaan delenda est

#7 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2007-August-07, 05:52

hrothgar, on Aug 7 2007, 01:01 PM, said:

For example, right now, a TV contains both a display and one or more tuners that are bundled together in the same hardware.  In the brave new world, you'd purchase your tuner and screen separately and then link them together with some kind of high speed bus.  (Essentially, we'd be returning back to modular stereo systems where you can mix and match a receiver, a turn table, speakers, etc)

I think it will take less than a year before such stuff hits the market. All it requires is a a wireless mode of communication between the tuner (more generally: whatever device recieves or generates the video signal, such as an ADSL modem, a DVD player, a camcorder or a computer) and the monitor. Samsung and DisplayLink are both very close.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#8 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-August-07, 08:43

I turned off the TV recently, as I do on occasion, to do a little reading. The Mayan calendrics analysis was interesting but I am now enjoying Wizard, the life and times of Nikola Tesla. The only thing the man didn't do was play bridge! btw, his patents on remote controls and other electrical phenomena are in use by us every day.
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users