Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

modem

#1 User is offline   hhofbau 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2024-January-28, 09:56

How powerful a modem is required for 4 people to play BBO at my house?

#2 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2024-January-28, 10:54

I'm no official; but the actual network traffic used by BBO is miniscule. I bet it would run just fine on a 9600 baud connection (and probably did back when it started, for many players). What it does require is *consistent* connection - there are lots of posts here about "switched from ethernet over power to wifi, or wifi to data, or 5G wifi to 2.4G wifi, and BBO dropped me because it 'lost connection'."

Of course, with 4 players in the same house, there are these things known as "playing cards"...(yes, I know there are many reasons why you would prefer a bridge server).
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#3 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2024-January-28, 14:01

View Postmycroft, on 2024-January-28, 10:54, said:

I'm no official; but the actual network traffic used by BBO is miniscule. I bet it would run just fine on a 9600 baud connection (and probably did back when it started, for many players). What it does require is *consistent* connection - there are lots of posts here about "switched from ethernet over power to wifi, or wifi to data, or 5G wifi to 2.4G wifi, and BBO dropped me because it 'lost connection'."

Of course, with 4 players in the same house, there are these things known as "playing cards"...(yes, I know there are many reasons why you would prefer a bridge server).

You are spot on that it was robust on a dial-up connection and should be even more so today.
But for some reason that BBO has never been able to explain yet seems to retain inevitable, it is extremely sensitive to less than perfect home wifi.
Other much more demanding sites (like zoom or Youtube, not to mention R***bridge) cope with no problem, at most pausing, but BBO will roll over dead at the first opportunity.
The bottom line is to connect by wire or stay close to the wifi router (or add repeaters).

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users