Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Responding to a 1NT opener Looking for simple and effective methods

#1 User is offline   lowerline 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2007-June-12, 07:47

The context is a strong (14-16 or 15-17 1NT opener). I've already decided on Stayman and on Jacoby with second round transfers, on 3M as a splinter with 54 in the minors and on Texas. That leaves the 2/NT/3m responses...

I see several alternatives:

1. Minor suit transfers (2 & 2NT): all weak and strong minor one- and twosuiters can be bid through the transfers. It also allows opener to show whether he likes the suit or not (getting to those 22-23hcp 3NT contracts). The obvious drawback is that you need to go through Stayman if you just want to make a natural invitation to 3NT. Against that the 3m responses are still open to show other hands (Puppet Stayman?)

2. 2 as above, 2NT natural, 3 transfer (weak/strong), 3 natural invitational. It is possible to bid the same minor suit hands as above, except for the weak twosuiter.

3. 2 asking min/max; I haven't worked out this one yet, but it seems you can't combine this with the invitational (with suit acceptance) minor onesuiters.

What do you recommend?

Steven

#2 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2007-June-12, 08:09

Play 2 as natural, to play.

Then a transfer to spades shows at least invitational values so if opener does not superaccept you can just pass his transfer accept and play 2 when the field goes down in 2NT or 3.

Besides (and probably more importantly) opps canot double you transfer to show hearts when you have a weak hand with spades, so they let you play 2 when they should be playing 3 or even 4, or have chased you into 3.

This looses when you'd like to transfer to clubs but how often do you do that? Most of the clubs-hands can bid 3 directly or via Stayman anyway (whatever you agree that to mean).
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#3 User is offline   Apollo81 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-June-12, 08:34

You could play:

2-->
2NT natural
3-->
3 = spade splinter, (45) minors
3 = heart splinter, (45) minors
3 = GF equal length minors

I play this in casual partnerships. The advantages are simplicity, your notrump invitations can't be doubled for the lead, and you have a little more room to explore slam on the 13(45) hands.

The main disadvantage is that there is no diamond invitation.

#4 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2007-June-12, 08:42

You might try...

2S as natural balanced invite to 3NT or minor two suiter, strong or weak
---> 2NT = reject 3NT game try
---> 3m = better minor

over 1NT-2S-2NT,
---> 3C is pass/correct, minor two suiter weak
---> 3D is strong two suiter, just game value
---> 3M strong two suiter, fragment of some sort

over 1NT-2S-3m
---> Pass, weak minor two suiter
---> 3NT Invite to game type hand
---> other, strong two suiter

This leaves 2NT as lebehnsol-ish, signoff in either minor, or mild slam try in club

over 1NT - 2NT
---> 3C
---------> Pass to play
---------> 3D is to play
---------> 3NT clubs, mild slam try
---------> 3H/3S -- stong minor one suiter, hearts for clubs, spades for D.

3C and 3D are six card suits with two of the top three honors, nothing else of value
--Ben--

#5 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2007-June-12, 09:46

Based on what you are currently playing, I'd suggest 4 suit transfers.. and as for the invitational hands where a natural 2N would work if you weren't playing transfers... it depends on the game you are in.

I have played, and enjoyed, an approach where you go through 2 and then, if appropriate, invite via 2N only with at least one four card major. At imps, don't go through stayman and then 2N with no major: either pass 1N or (far more often) just bid 3N... experience suggests that you gain more by concealing opener's shape and size than you lose by overbidding. At mps, the style is also effective, but not as effective, so you might prefer a more normal style of 2 then 2N.

You also need a use for 3 and 3. When playing 4 suit transfers, I usually play 3 as both minors, pass or correct, and 3 both minors, gf.

This is a relatively easy system to remember, which is always a useful attribute.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#6 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2007-June-12, 11:12

2 =
2NT =
3 = both minors, weak
3 = multi-invite: 6M invitational (this gives you more possibilities for GF auctions)
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#7 User is offline   SoTired 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-June-12, 11:33

I like 4 suit transfers, but have 2S pull double-duty as min/max ask and club transfer (you lose pre-accept.... sorry)
1N 2S = club transfer or min/max ask
. . . . . . 2N = min
. . . . . . . . . 3C = signoff
. . . . . . . . . <anything else> = club slam try
. . . . . . 3C = max
. . . . . . . . . 3N = signoff
. . . . . . . . . <anything else> = club slam try
1N 2N = diam transfer
1N 3C = weak minor 55, pass or correct
1n 3D = strong minor 55
. . . . . . . 3H = accept clubs as trump
. . . . . . . 3S = accept diam as trump
It costs nothing to be nice -- my better half

#8 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2007-June-12, 11:48

What I play in that context I like. You may also.

3 = 5-5 majors, invitational+.
Opener is expected to bid 3M with a minimum. Responder will bid on if greater than invitational.
If "non-slam maximum," Opener bids 4M (or 3NT is 2245/2254/2236/2263).
If "slammish maximum," Opener can "flag" his major election (4-->; 4-->; re-transfers).

3 is Puppet. However, I would prefer either:
Simple Batchelder (3 is no 4-card or 5--card major; 3NT for hearts.) This allows Responder to bid 3 after 3 when he is 5/3, making Jacoby...3NT 5/0-2.
Or, full Batchelder (I posted it somewhere -- check with me if interested).
But, simple Puppet works fine.

2 and 2NT can be any number of things in this scheme. Simple four-way transfers works fine. Or, if 2 is MSS, then 3 can be a relay to 3 (passable), with special quantitatives after that, or 4441's, or whatever.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#9 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-June-12, 12:30

I like the Polish variation. I used to play it with a Polish partner for a while:

2: Invitation to 3NT or a hand with clubs
.....2NT: MIN
..........3: to play
..........rest: as you would after 4 suit transfers
.....3: MAX
..........Pass: to play 3
..........rest: as you would after 4 suit transfers
2NT: transfer to diamonds (weak/ INV or slam)
3: (43)51, to play game
3: (43)15, to play game
3: 31(45), to play game
3: 13(45), to play game

When compared to four suit transfers, this use of 2 and 2NT loses a little bit on the invitational hands with clubs since 2 doesn't ask for a club fit, but primarily for a maximum or a minimum. (However, you can obviously look at your club holding to break a tie.) But it gains a lot on the balanced hands without a four card major. Playing four suit transfers, you have to bid Stayman to invite with 2NT. In that case, you give the defense information that wasn't helping you. Playing this method, you can use 2 to invite 3NT without revealing declarer's shape. That is a major advantage, most notably at matchpoints. A small advantage is that Stayman now promises a major which makes it a little easier if the bidding gets competitive.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#10 User is offline   keylime 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: FD TEAM
  • Interests:Motorsports, cricket, disc golf, and of course - bridge. :-)

Posted 2007-June-12, 13:03

If not for Keri:

2D -> 2H -> 2S: cancels the heart xfer and is a diamond xfer or both minors any strength
2S -> a club xfer
2NT -> natural invite, no 4 card major
3C -> Puppet Stayman if you open 5 card majors into NT
3D -> open for whatever use you have need for
3H/S -> G/F, shortage, 5-4 minors
"Champions aren't made in gyms, champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. " - M. Ali

#11 Guest_Jlall_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 2007-June-12, 15:39

Heres what i like these days:

2S=clubs
2N=diamonds
3C=some 4441 including 4 hearts.
3D=5-5 minors GF
3H=4144 or 31(54) (opener bids 3S with 4 spades, then responder bids 3N if hes 31(54))
3S=13(54)

#12 User is offline   lowerline 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2007-June-13, 02:11

Thanks for all the suggestions! I like Mike's idea: just bid 3NT with an invitational hand without a major. It's definitely simple (and I believe in its merits when playing for imps).

I saw several suggestions to play 3 as weak twosuiter minors and 3 as GF twosuiter minors. You don't need this when playing minor suit transfers. Especially when you accept by bidding the suit, like this:
--- 2NT = don't like
--- --- 3 = to play (weak/invitational)
--- --- 3 = GF minor twosuiter (55)
--- 3 = like
--- --- pass = weak onesuiter
2NT
--- 3 = don't like
--- --- pass = weak twosuiter minors
--- 3 = like
--- --- pass = weak onesuiter OR weak twosuiter minors

I know this isn't how minor suit transfers are usually played, but it seems like a good idea.

Steven

#13 User is offline   Gerben42 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Astronomy, Mathematics
    Nuclear power

Posted 2007-June-13, 03:15

What I've found very useful:

2 Multi-way:
* weak or strong in a minor
* invite to 3N
--> 2NT minimum
--> 3C maximum

After this: 3M is SI in resp. , 4m ditto, direct ace asking.

2NT: Both minors, weak or strong
3m: Invite, asks opener to bid 3NT with a top honor.
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!
My Bridge Systems Page

BC Kultcamp Rieneck

#14 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-June-13, 05:42

lowerline, on Jun 13 2007, 03:11 AM, said:

Thanks for all the suggestions! I like Mike's idea: just bid 3NT with an invitational hand without a major. It's definitely simple (and I believe in its merits when playing for imps).

I saw several suggestions to play 3 as weak twosuiter minors and 3 as GF twosuiter minors. You don't need this when playing minor suit transfers. Especially when you accept by bidding the suit, like this:
--- 2NT = don't like
--- 3 = like
--- --- pass = weak onesuiter
2NT
--- 3 = don't like
--- --- pass = weak twosuiter minors
--- 3 = like
--- --- pass = weak onesuiter OR weak twosuiter minors

I know this isn't how minor suit transfers are usually played, but it seems like a good idea.

Steven

This is an excellent way to play four suit transfers. I play it with whoever wants to.

I saw the suggestion to play like this for the first time in "Precision in the 90's" by Barry Rigal.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users