• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bridge dying? will there be enough youth in the future

#221 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-December-26, 16:58

How is matchpoints inferior? A 1 session imp pairs sounds like about the most random thing ever. To me a system where better pairs will score better more frequently is superior (aka matchpoints).
The artist formerly known as jlall

#222 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-27, 00:30

View Post1eyedjack, on 2015-December-26, 03:25, said:

If accurate this is really sad. I had always taken the view before now that the (main?) reason for bridge dying is that it is harder these days to keep young beginners interested until the point that they get "hooked". Which could take a year or two. But having got them addicted, for those that we manage it, we would have them for life. If they have the staying power to get past that point and THEN still give it up, there is not much hope for the game, I fear.

Actually, a fair number of young players end up not playing very much. Someone learns the game in college or graduate school when they have flexible hours even if they don't have that much time. Then they get a job and move to a new city where there are very few evening games, they can't play regularly (and that's before they have kids), and all the good players around already have a half dozen partnerships and are reluctant to establish a new one, especially with someone who can play less than once a week.

#223 User is offline   Aberlour10 

• Vugrapholic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-27, 04:43

If accurate this is really sad. I had always taken the view before now that the (main?) reason for bridge dying is that it is harder these days to keep young beginners interested until the point that they get "hooked". Which could take a year or two. But having got them addicted, for those that we manage it, we would have them for life. If they have the staying power to get past that point and THEN still give it up, there is not much hope for the game, I fear.

There is a hope. Look at the polish bridge. The long term efforts in youth bridge started 10-15 years ago brings nowdays success by success at the international stage Even the shock of the BZ affair cant stop this development in polish bridge. Such a development is possible everywhere, if there will be enough done for it.
Preempts are Aberlour's best bridge friends

#224 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-27, 12:08

View PostPhantomSac, on 2015-December-26, 16:58, said:

How is matchpoints inferior? A 1 session imp pairs sounds like about the most random thing ever. To me a system where better pairs will score better more frequently is superior (aka matchpoints).

I prefer a system where I am rewarded more for being the only one to bid and make slam than I am for being the only one to make an overtrick in a universally-bid part-score.

#225 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2015-December-27, 12:22

View PostBbradley62, on 2015-December-27, 12:08, said:

I prefer a system where I am rewarded more for being the only one to bid and make slam than I am for being the only one to make an overtrick in a universally-bid part-score.

Why?

#226 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2015-December-27, 12:22

De gustibus non est disputandum
Alderaan delenda est

#227 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-27, 13:43

View PostBbradley62, on 2015-December-27, 12:08, said:

I prefer a system where I'm rewarded for plays like this, although it was a lowly 1N contract:

#228 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-27, 13:54

View Postnullve, on 2015-December-27, 13:43, said:

I prefer a system where I'm rewarded for plays like this, although it was a lowly 1N contract:

You like to be rewarded for opps dropping 2 tricks on defence after you miss an unblocking play? Fair enough. There are arguments both for and against IMPs and MPs but I doubt this hand features highly in the reckoning.
(-: Zel :-)

#229 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-27, 22:20

View Posthrothgar, on 2015-December-27, 12:22, said:

De gustibus non est disputandum

lol alright, but if that is true then it is ok to comment on someone casually calling one of the two things "inferior."

It also seems alright to point out that in a normal field size a one session MP pairs event has more of a skill element and less of a luck element than an imp event.
The artist formerly known as jlall

#230 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-27, 22:41

View Postnullve, on 2015-December-27, 12:22, said:

Why?

Because one is similarly more rewarded in Contract Bridge for the same accomplishment. Contract Bridge replaced its forerunner Auction Bridge because the idea of having to contract for game or slam in order to get the game or slam bonus meant that bidding/system had to get more attention than it had before and people liked this dimension to the game. Imps tends to preserve the importance of game and slam bonuses while matchpoints rewards risking these bonuses for overtrick etc considerations.

I think that's why. As Hrothgar said, it's still a matter of taste.

#231 User is offline   Charlie Yu 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-December-29, 22:55

Nowadays Bridge has to compete with other forms of entertainment like computer games as well as card games like Poker. And general people doesn't know much about bridge. I mean, most people know WSOP but I doubt many know about Bermuda Bowl.

#232 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-29, 23:57

View PostCharlie Yu, on 2015-December-29, 22:55, said:

Nowadays Bridge has to compete with other forms of entertainment like computer games as well as card games like Poker. And general people doesn't know much about bridge. I mean, most people know WSOP but I doubt many know about Bermuda Bowl.
My point was that these factors would be influential in their giving up early. But having got past the grounding the game should be able to stand up for itself against the competition. If not, game end.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#233 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-30, 11:21

MP or IMP pairs is indeed a preference. Perhaps one is even objectively more skill correlated than the other.

But I see no good reason we can't have both. A once a month IMP pair game at clubs would be a welcome change of pace, even if I don't want to do it every time. The barrier - computing scores - ought to be irrelevant by now, but apparently it isn't.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#234 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-30, 14:52

View PostZelandakh, on 2015-December-27, 13:54, said:

You like to be rewarded for opps dropping 2 tricks on defence after you miss an unblocking play?

Which unblocking play did I miss and how was it relevant?

#235 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2015-December-30, 18:43

View Postnullve, on 2015-December-30, 14:52, said:

Use the GiB button and run through the first 5 or 6 tricks.

#236 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-31, 00:29

I think most of the problem is that the game just isn't advertised well at all. It is one thing to say that it is competing against the likes of Poker and computer games, but a lot of the time I speak to non-bridge players and mention that I play bridge, the reply I get is that they don't know what it is and ask me to describe it. As a slightly extreme example I experienced about 2 weeks ago, the girl I was speaking with followed up that question with "Is it like football (soccer)?". If you look at just about any other market, you would at least know of any sizable competitive products even if you don't endorse it.
Wayne Somerville

#237 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-31, 06:02

View PostZelandakh, on 2015-December-30, 18:43, said:

Use the GiB button and run through the first 5 or 6 tricks.

Sorry, I don't think you've thought this through.

#238 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-01, 13:52

View Postnullve, on 2015-December-30, 14:52, said:

At trick 4, you didn't unblock the jack of clubs. If West exited a diamond instead of leading a club then you will need to set up a club trick before cashing the diamonds or dummy gets squeezed. However, you also need to ensure you have an entry to your own hand to get the diamonds cashed and the only way you can do that is if the jack of clubs was already off the table
Wayne Somerville

#239 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-01, 14:22

View Postmanudude03, on 2016-January-01, 13:52, said:

At trick 4, you didn't unblock the jack of clubs.

There's no way I could have made 7 tricks legitimately at that point.

#240 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2016-January-02, 06:31

View Postnullve, on 2016-January-01, 14:22, said:

There's no way I could have made 7 tricks legitimately at that point.

You are probably right - there was no way you could have. GiB on the other hand would have managed it. ;) :lol:

• 13 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users