BBO Discussion Forums: Catholics, Free Speech, and the Vatican Rag - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Catholics, Free Speech, and the Vatican Rag Terror talk with rimshots..buh dah bum

#1 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2007-May-03, 17:34

This is simply too weird, too lame, or too frightening for words to express - you simply have to read: (emphasis added)

Robin Pomeroy
Reuters
Thursday May 03, 2007

The Vatican's official newspaper accused an Italian comedian on Wednesday of "terrorism" for criticizing the Pope and warned his rhetoric could fuel a return to 1970s-style political violence.

"This, too, is terrorism. It's terrorism to launch attacks on the Church," it said. "It's terrorism to stoke blind and irrational rage against someone who always speaks in the name of love, love for life and love for man."

At the concert, held every year in front of the Saint John in Lateran basilica -- Rome's cathedral where Pope Benedict sits as bishop -- one of the presenters, Andrea Rivera, spoke out against the Pontiff's stand on a number of issues.

"The Pope says he doesn't believe in evolution. I agree, in fact the Church has never evolved," he said.

He also criticized the Church for refusing to give a Catholic funeral to Piergiorgio Welby, a man who campaigned for euthanasia as he lay paralyzed with muscular dystrophy. He died in December after a doctor agreed to unplug his respirator.

"I can't stand the fact that the Vatican refused a funeral for Welby but that wasn't the case for (Chilean dictator Augusto) Pinochet or (Spanish dictator Francisco) Franco," he said between musical acts at the open-air concert."

At what point in time did the world change? Where was I when the announcement was made that only those in positions of power have the right to have an opinion and express it openly? I guess "terrorism" has morphed into meaning "criticism" or "dissent".

Does this make David Letterman an enemy combattant, I wonder?
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#2 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2007-May-03, 17:40

Well putting aside this particular issue as others have commented it does feel that Catholic bashing is ok, but Gay, Muslim etc.....is becoming less fodder for comedians/humor.

See PissChrist reaction compared to Muslim cartoons.

As for evolution heck they are looking at Limbo...that is a big issue....the Church moves..just in ten year/100 increments.

#3 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2007-May-03, 18:17

Political humorists satirize politicians and religions; I guess this now makes Will Rogers a terrorist for "disrespecting" the government when he said, "If we ever pass out as a great nation we ought to put on our tombstone, 'America died from a delusion that she has moral leadership."
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users